New purchase - storage not present

Hi all,

I’ve just been to purchase a gen 3, I also have a gen 2. I’ve attached my USB 3 portable 1TB drive to the FRONT usb port, the light on the front of the new WDTV is continuously flashing, its showing no storage present, I have no idea what the problem is!

Can anybody shed any light on this before I take it back :slight_smile:

Thank you.

Trying the powered WD usb drive from my gen 2, I’m presuming its a drive issue…though the toshiba is fine on the gen 2…

Have you ‘selected’ the source where you want your Gen 3 WDTV to search for files.

Press the red button and select “Local Storage”.  That may then show your attached drive.

If you have already done this try connecting to the rear USB port of your Gen 3.

Have you downloaded the manual and checked all your settings from there?

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/?id=282&type=25

Let us know how you get on.

Hi - this may be a silly question, but are USB 3.0 drives supported? I’ve checked the manual and it only talks about USB 2.0.

Yes, they are supported.

“I’ve attached my USB 3 portable 1TB drive to the FRONT usb port, the light on the front of the new WDTV is continuously flashing, its showing no storage present, I have no idea what the problem is!”

You need to wait some time, until the drive is scanned and mounted by WD player.

During this process both drive and WD player should blinking intensive,

when its done the WD player light should stop blinking and remain permanent light.