New Product idea :: EX2 + My Book Duo

anothergoodidea wrote:

I just purchased the EX2 (2 x 2TB) and after < 10 hours, it’s back in the box with an RMA requested.  I was very disappointed with this product.  This product may work for some, but know what you’re getting yourself into.  I was getting unacceptable transfer speeds of ~2Mbps from computer to EX2 on my local network. I’ve spent sometime reading these discussions and I’ve seen too many similar stories now.  I started with a simple backup of my iphone pictures.  They were all living on a usb 3.0 external drive.  You’d think it would be easy to transfer those files from the external to the EX2 - just plug it into the back and drag and drop. Not so. (I was using a mac)  In Finder the drive becomes visible but if you drag and drop from the external (plugged directly into the EX2) into a folder on the EX2, you suffer network transfer speeds, not usb 3.0 transfer speeds!!! 

First of all, almost every one of those “similar stories” that you referred to seeing on the EX2 forum that suffered from ~2MBps (not 2Mbps as you mentioned) were from users thinking they will get good data transfer speeds over wireless connection. Unless they have the new crop of AC routers, the wireless speeds for large data transfers will stick out like a sore thumb - and will be in the ballpark of 2-5 MBps. Even with AC routers it will still be very slow over wireless but just a bit better. For  a NAS product, the best speeds come with a wired connection (as in ethernet cable) …on both ends. Not just the NAS directly wired to a router /switch but the desktop/laptop too must be wired to a router or a switch, to get the best speeds (which average for me between 45-50 MBps on a gigabit wired connection). And if you have seen those “too many similar stories” then you should have seen somebody here mention this wired vs. wireless explanation as well.

And the other issue you mentioned - of data transfer from an USB 3 drive connected to the back of the EX2 being just as slow, this too has been addressed in past posts before, which a simple search on this sub-forum should have revealed this post →   http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud-EX2/Very-slow-transfer-speeds-even-when-external-drive-is-connected/m-p/770671#M868