New Power Schedule interface terrible!

Hi There,

First post on here as I’ve never had any problems with my WD My cloud ex2 until I upgraded my firmware to 2.10.302…big mistake!

I had the Power Schedule setup perfectly using the really easy and simple interface, but now it’s terrible!

Can we have it back as it was, so much easier to understand and use, I haven’t got a clue how to set this new one up!

So if some kind person can explain how it’s supposed to work I’d be really greateful!

For example, how can you tell what the times are?

What is off? Black? or blue?

Another thing that’s changed is all my blue lights at the front of the mycloud are now on all the time where as before the only came on while in use.

Hopefully somebody can help me get my head around the new settings, but please, please WD put them back as they were.

Regards

Hylton

Welcome to the Community.

At this moment the interface does not feature a color palette swap option. The LED activity behavior has also been changed.

Hi There,

i’m a confused about why you mentioned colour palette?

I’m talking about how good the power schedule controls were, nice easy sliders to set the time for switching my ex2 on or off at what ever time I set.

Now it’s a row or circles for pm and am which to me doesn’t make any sense at all. 

Please somebody explain how with this new power schedule interface I can set my ex2 to turn off at 11:00pm every evening and turn back on every morning at 8:00am preferably using a screen capture so I can see how it’s supposed to work now it’s changed to this weird interface.

kindest regards

Hylton

Did you figure it out ? completely not intuitive…

I too have struggled with the UI for the Power Schedule Settings; not really very user friendly.

My Cloud Power Schedule Settings

By Default all of the settings are set to “ON” i.e., the circles are “Blue”.
If you only want certain times for the device to be “ON” it is best to set all of the circles to “Black”; which is “OFF”. Then select the “ON” days and times.
The greyed circles mean “OFF” and the half gray and Blue mean an “ON” schedule for that day.

The interface is actually pretty simple. Black circle indicates that the device is off for that time period. Blue indicates that it is on.

To first look at the new power schedule, it is not intuitive and simple. you don’t have instructions on how it works to begin with, that isn’t helpful. You must have a better idea than that to make more user friendly.

I just switched from a Netgear NAS to My Cloud EX2 Ultra and so far I love the new box and software. The one big thing that disappoints me is the Power Scheduler. I felt like I was back in 2000 by clicking circles for blocks of time. I was hoping for a UI that allowed me to be specific for ON and OFF. Thanks to this group, I learned the color codes to have the box get close to my schedule. Also the manual needs to be updated to match the Settings. The manual still talks to a slider bar. So far, everything else is looking good.

The way nothing has changed since 2015, I really thought it was terrible, so I just figured it works in even hours, if I want to call 7:00 p.m. and turn off at 9:00 p.m.?

1 Like

The above question is an older thread but since the device is still on the market others may face the same challenge in setting up their power schedule. Hopefully my explanation below is easy to follow along in setting up your MyCloud power schedule. Remember firmware upgrades is a good practice to fix known bugs/issues but also to maintain the most current level of security WD has to offer.

First some tips to get you started:
-The Power Schedule is designed around a 24 hr period.
-The top row indicates 12AM thru 12 PM and the bottom row ranges from 12 PM to 12 AM in your respective time zone.
-As others have indicated the BLUE shade indicates the power schedule is “on” and the BLACK shade indicates the power schedule is “off”

Let’s walk thru an example … say you want to set your Power Schedule to turn off at midnight and back on at 8 AM during the work week (Monday thru Friday).

1. Sign-on to your MyCloud device
  2. Go to SETTINGS
  3. Under the GENERAL tab scroll down to the section that reads ENERGY SAVER
  4. Where it’s labeled POWER SCHEDULE, click the button for ON (will show in bright blue)
  5. Select CONFIGURE next to the Power Schedule On button
  6. Select Monday (note: arrow and blue box will move to Monday and uncheck (change color to BLACK) each circle in the top row for (AM) hours that read: 12-2, 2-4, 4-6, and 6-8 …

Note: The number ranges represent time: 12-2 AM, 2-4 AM, 4-6 AM, 6-8 AM

1. Repeat above step (step #7) for Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.
  2. When finished setting your customized power schedule remember to click SAVE to apply your settings.

Hope you found this solution helpful.

Here we are in Nov2021 and this device has been around for many years and it doesn’t look like any major hardware update on the thing.
I found your comments about the power schedule thing and it helped.
I too was confused by the colors. I mean, OHHH NOOOO, let’s not just have,
RED for NO and GREEN for YES!.
Some companies love to confuse people.

But here’s the thing, I set the schedule up to just not be on during the night.
I WRONGLY assumed that this was a “Sleep mode” thing, but nope, it TOTALLY SHUT DOWN and then just never powered back up at the time I selected.

Even trying to access the drives didn’t “wake” it up!
I had to go to my lab and physically power cycle it.
Add to that, that the reboot time is stupid long!

It finally came up and is working, but what a PAIN this thing is!

I’ve now made all dots blue, saved and then just disable Power Schedule completely.
I even turned off “Drive Sleep” as that also seems to be a problem.

I hope that this will now work consistently, because if not, I’ll have to return it before it’s too late.

I so wish that Western Digital would just make a NEW device, up to 2021 standards and expectations. THIS THING ISN’T CHEAP.

(sorry, I guess that was kinfa venting there) LOL :smile: