New Patch release for ShareSpace units on firmware version 2.2.9 affected by slow transfer rate

Great

Hello,

I have WD Sharespace WD80000A4NC (8 Tb) with firmware version 2.2.9. I have downloaded the patch but I am in doubt whether to install it or not because of its filename ā€“ wda4nc40000-02.02.90.img. Ā  Is it suited only for 4 Tb devices (because of ā€œ40000ā€ in its name) and wonā€™t I hurt my 8 Tb device by installing it?

Thank you.

This patch was meant for all 4NC devices.Ā  We have to name the file in a certain syntax.

Unfortunately applying the patch didnā€™t help so much. Without the patch we had transfer rate both to and from the WD Sharespace ~10 Mbytes/s. (Itā€™s a new device we bought just a few weeks ago.Ā  It was configured as RAID 5 by the manufacturer and the only thing we did was updating the firmware. However before the update the speed was not significantly greater). After applying the proposed patch upload speed increased to 14 Mbytes/s, and download speed increased to 20 Mbytes/s. (We measured the rates by transferring large gigabyte file to and from the device via the SMB and FTP protocols. Ethernet cables and the switch we used were ok ā€“ we tested them, they fully complied with gigabit ethernet).

Assuming the slow rate was caused by RAID 5 reduncy we tried to configure the storage both as RAID 0 and SPAN. Unfortunately it didnā€™t help.

For our application we need the upload speed to be at least 50 Mbytes/sec. Could you please tell if this problem will be solved within a few weeks? If not we will have no other choice but to return the device to the seller, because we have deadlines approaching.

Thanks in advance.

Hitting ā€˜previewā€™ deleted 20 mins of typing and refining! The short of it: -2tb sharespace arrived the other day. Updated to latest firmware. -Replaced drives with four 1.5tbs in raid 5. After 2 attempts and 36hrs the raid was finally going. -Plugged a full 1tb MyBook into front usb port began transferring files ranging from a few kb to several gb each (800gb total). -Got ~3mb transfer speed. -Applied latest patch. -Now getting ~4mb on usb transfer speed. -file transfers of gb files (50gb total) over my 10/100/1000 router is giving me 800kb - 2.5mb transfer speeds!!! This product is not living up to any selling point. Having been exclusively loyal to WD products for 15yrs now, I cannot be more disappointed! No, wait. I can be. In doing my research I could have sworn this had a print server going. Looking at so many products, I must have switched notes somewhere along the line. Assuming the speed issue Iā€™m experiencing is resolved, I cannot encourage the engineers to make this product comparable to others by including a print server in the next firmware upgrade. The further thought that this device will not support the new 3tb and larger drives now coming down the pipe is also a major frustration. WD abandoned the MyBook, hobbling that perfectly functional hardware by limiting it to 500gb drives, will the sharespace suffer the same fate? To think I thought this sharespace would be the backbone of my home office network looks foolish of me. Might I just as well have lit the cash on fire than give it to WD in this case? Iā€™m hoping itā€™s user-error regarding the speed issue Iā€™ve got going right now. (To those with ~10mb speeds, you have my envy. And to those with proper ~30mb speeds, please send me your sharespace!) And to the product management at WD, you MUST work to bring this device up to par with other NAS devices. It is sorely deficient in itā€™s lack of printer support and itā€™s (probable) lack of support for future larger drives. Sincerely, Tom.

Very cool. This post deleted all my above formatting too?!? It was laid out in paragraphs and points. Now itā€™s one jumble of text. Great.

Speed has dropped to 900kb for the last hour.

It takes ~10 mins for transfers to break 1mb, but then climbs up to ~4.5mb/sec for an hour or so then over several hours drops down to ~1.5mb and then well below 1mb/sec. I havenā€™t let it go slower than that before just killing the process out of disgust. This is the same whether itā€™s from a usb port on the sharespace or over my gigabit network.

Isnā€™t disabling Samba server signing as simple as changing ā€œserver signing = autoā€ to ā€œserver signing = noā€ in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file?

Transfer speeds have been hovering ~700kb/sec since my last post 10+hrs ago.

New patch didnā€™t help. In corresponding with WD support, I received following answer: ā€œā€¦the WD ShareSpace max transfer speed is 8-11 MB/s on a local network. The drive does not transfer any quicker because that is the maximum throughput that the enclosureā€™s CPU can handleā€.

They have ā€œescalatedā€ this issue to the developers of the WDShareSpace.

Any optimists out there?

Interestingā€¦ does that mean that the technical specs might be fundamentally out of whack with what the unit is capable of??

Iā€™m on firmware 2.1.92 at the moment getting transfer speeds of:

~12.25MB/s write

~11.25MB/s read

(measured with 100MB files) and this is through the basic mapped drives in windows (I think this is an SSH connection?) ā€¦ I know it seems wierd that it would be slower on the read, but apprently this is not unusual.

Anyone care to offer an opinion as to whether I should bite-the-bullet and upgrade to 2.2.9- or just be happy with what I;ve gotā€¦I have such little confidence in the WD unit/firmware/update process at the moment that I feel I should be thankful that its working at all!

IMHO, *DO NOT* ā€œupgradeā€ from 2.1.92!!!Ā  That release provided the best performnace and unless you absolutely need some feature in 2.2.9, Iā€™d stay with 2.1.92 ā€“ I wish I had! Having said that, since disabling Samba server signing on firmware 2.2.8, I now see read transfer rates of up to 230 Mbs (mega *bit* per secondā€¦) between the NAS and a Windows 7 PC.Ā  That yielded about 14.9 MBs (mega bytes) per second when copying a 3 GB file.Ā  Iā€™m not touching the 2.2.9 release.

Thanks pannetron,

Thatā€™s kinda what I suspected from reading other posts, i.eā€¦ that the 2.1.92 version was OK and that it probably isnā€™t worth the risk updating to the 2.2.9 version. 

Its weird that most people who opt for WD products are probably loyal to them because of WDs reputation for being solid and dependableā€¦ and yet now

pannetron wrote:

IMHO, *DO NOT* ā€œupgradeā€ from 2.1.92!!!  That release provided the best performnace and unless you absolutely need some feature in 2.2.9, Iā€™d stay with 2.1.92 ā€“ I wish I had! Having said that, since disabling Samba server signing on firmware 2.2.8, I now see read transfer rates of up to 230 Mbs (mega *bit* per secondā€¦) between the NAS and a Windows 7 PC.  That yielded about 14.9 MBs (mega bytes) per second when copying a 3 GB file.  Iā€™m not touching the 2.2.9 release.

Iā€™m NOT updating the firmware on one of their products because I would rather settle for mediocre performanceā€¦  I never thought Iā€™d be in a position to be second guessing WD OR settling for mediocrity from themā€¦!!

Patch did not help in my case Iā€™m still getting speeds of not even 1 MBps

Upon arrival, my 2tb sharespace was on firmware 1. something. So I had to upgrade. There was no option except that latest that I could find. While my XP box IS getting very solid transfer rates that I would expect, the win7 64bit laptop is averaging under 1mb/sec and gets slower the longer it is transferring. While XP Pro sp3 just hums along real nice. I regret that for other reasons, I have to upgrade my desktop to win764 and lose the expected transfer speeds. That is until someone who knows whatā€™s going on posts a solution here so many people like myself will be happy again.

Good advice which I wish I had followed. If only I had come here and read this before I upgraded. Now I donā€™t know what I should do. All I know is my sharespace does not perform good enough anymore.

XPsp3 32 bit is giving me 360+mb/min with the latest WDSS driver, but Win764bit is yielding under 30mb/min. But even that 360mb/min is slow compared to what people are posting here.

This has not resolved my problem. The side of the box clearly states ā€œWD ShareSpace outperforms USB 2.0/FIreWire 400ā€. The marketing on the box clearly indicates I should be able to transfer at > 30MB/S. Even after setting ā€œserver signing = noā€ in ā€œ/etc/samba/smb.confā€ I still rarely break 12MB/s Apparently WD has admitted that this limitation is due to CPU bottleneck. Perhaps they should escalate to the marketing department too.

Ā I donā€™t like being cynical, but the latest answer I got from WD support, is more like an appropriate punch-line for a stand-up comic. And I quote: ā€œThe 40 MB/second is achievable in an ideal network setup and is more theoreticalā€. And realistically, what, if anything, is being done about it ?!