New MYCLOUD Failing Torrent Checking

Sorry that this has been such an ordeal for you bro. I gave up dealing with OEM support ages ago, and just ignore that they are even a thing.

Between you and me, I would just use transmission directly on the thing, rather than trying to use it over a share on a PC doing the torrents. Sadly, all the juicy options (like forcing encryption, and the like) require manual poking of a config file, but otherwise it works a treat. (Even accepts pasted in magnet links.)

The only possible lead I had was the opportunistic locking thing. If it wasnt helpful
 I dunno man. You have my sympathies though.

Single bay MyCloud doesn’t have the oplocks control.

It does with fox_exe’s crack installed. :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay; that’s fooling the single bay MyCloud into thinking its a Mirror or above.

Does the OP have fox’s crack installed?

Its hard enough coping with the gen1/gen2 differences, never mind devices masquerading as something else

Mine is totally unmodified. I run Windows 10 and have no idea how to get Transmission running on the MYCLOUD. I have looked at some of the threads about it but have not found a step by step one that made sense to me. I also don’t want to loose the data that’s on the drive. For now I just download the torrent to my older MYCLOUD first and then just copy it over to the newer one. Seriously ridiculous. I should have just bought a 2 bay Synology.

It’s like 2 or 3 lines of console-fu over ssh, and after that you install installable package files. He keeps a small repository. See the “Apps on gen2” thread. Transmission is one of the installable packages. Sets up a web interface to control the daemon from, Very spartan in terms of what’s there as far as controls, (as I said, the juicy bits need manual editing of a config file), but it does the job quite well otherwise.

Normally, changes made to the mycloud get lost after a reboot, but his method leverages the fact that the device has all the necessary software inside it for application support, just disabled as a marketing thing. His crack just turns it on. Same with Oplock control, and quite a few other things. It is a persistent modification, unless you uninstall the WDCrack package. Then after reboot, the apps section will vanish again.

It does not require a hard flash or anything to install. Your existing data should be unimpacted.

UPDATE:

Just wanted to do a long term follow up on this issue. I have now got a Raspberry Pi 3 running Raspbian Jessie as a silent full time torrent server. Transmission 2.84. This has solved the issue. Not sure what the incompatibility is between the firmware on the newer WD MYCLOUD drives is, but as I said my older one running the older firmware does NOT have this issue with Qbittorrent.

In any case given the bad customer service I received on the support call on this issue I thought this might save someone else some grief.

1 Like