New MYCLOUD Failing Torrent Checking

I have 2 MyCloud drives. An older 2TB and a new 4TB one that is only about a month or so old.

When a torrent finishes downloading I have it set to auto recheck the whole torrent to make sure it passes the hash check. On the 2TB older drive there is never ANY issue at all. With the newer 4TB drive every torrent needs to re-download anywhere from 1-20% of the data and then has to do it over and over again just to get a good copy. The exact same torrent downloaded to my older MYCLOUD works fine every time.

I figured I had some bad sectors or something so I let it do the full disk check all day today. It came back and said everything is fine and the drive says it’s healthy. I rebooted the drive and my computer but when I downloaded another torrent to check it was the same thing. Torrent gets to 100%, starts the recheck and then ends up with bad data. And again the older MYCLOUD works the first time with the exact same torrent.

Do I have a bad drive? What can I do about it? Is there another disk repair program I can run on it other than the one built into the web interface?

Have done some more testing and it is repeatable. Torrents on the old MYCLOUD always re-check to 100% the first time and torrents to the newer MYCLOUD always end up with bad data that needs to be redownloaded, sometimes multiple times.

Under the dashboard I have done the FULL TEST, SYSTEM TEST and the DISK CHECK and they all come back OK.

Are there any other disk checking/integrity tools that will work with a MYCLOUD?

Help.

There are other methods, but they resolve around SSH (Which is not supported).

If all tests indicate the unit is healthy then it could be a problem with the app itself. What happens if you re-install it?

Thanks for the reply. I did reinstall Qbittorrent but the same thing is happening. Also I am never having the issue with my other MYCLOUD drive.

( I’m approaching this as your 2nd set of of eyes ; -) )

Confirm that it is not something really simple, like a bad network cable/connection/port? Try other cables/ports?

I can’t see your setup, so was anything else installed for this new machine that needs to be confirmed as working at 100%?

(I know I have relied on ethernet and USB cables that I had laying around, only to discover there was something wrong with them).

Good luck, let us know if you resolve this.

Thanks for the reply. I swapped the Ethernet cables between my working
MYCLOUD and the problem unit and everything stays the same. Old one is fine
new one fails rechecking on torrents. I think at this point I need to
return it.

Received a second drive via advanced RMA. Exact same issue. I am waiting for a call back from tech support but don’t hold out much hope. Again the Exact same torrent downloaded to my 2TB MYCLOUD works 100% of the time. At this point I can inly guess it has something to do with the different firmwares that the older and newer MYCLOUD drives seem to run on. Consider me an unhappy customer. Not to mention the stupid issue of no way to shut it down from the Web interface.

I had the exact same issue using Qbittorrent on Windows. Only the odd file would download to 100% on the first try. I switched to uTorrent and that works perfectly every time. I run Transmission on the MYCLOUD and have no problems at all with that.

I am using qbittorrent. I can’t use uTorrent as it is not approved on the trackers I use. How do you run transmission on the MYCLOUD?

Thanks for the link. I have looked at that before but I don’t know how to do the first steps. I’m on windows and have no knowledge of ssh or Linux. I’m thinking there is something incompatible with the GEN2 MYCLOUD and qbittorrent. This is frustrating because as I said the old version works just fine. I can download a torrent on the old drive, recheck it and it is always 100% then just cut and paste the files to the new MYCLOUD and recheck it and it is fine. Annoying. Making me think I should have just bought a synology like we use at work.

6 days later and no call from tech support.

Just a random thought-- Do you have oplocks disabled on your gen2? If so, try turning it on.

I have no idea what oplocks is. I have no setting labeled that.

Oplocks stands for “Opportunistic locks”. It is MS’s way of saying “exclusively lock open files”

http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/samba/book/ch05_05.html

You can find more information about it on pages 28, 29, and 30 in the manual, where it tells you how to turn it on and off.

https://www.wdc.com/content/dam/wdc/website/downloadable_assets/eng/user_manual/4779-705145.pdf

I was cruising by and saw this thread. There shouldn’t be an issue with the difference in firmwares (famous last words), but it was suggested that you make sure all the settings between the two drives match as close as possible to see if that helps.

After waiting another week for a response from tech support I have heard nothing. I tried to schedule a call from the rep who was suppose to be handling this case and heard nothing from him. I have now returned the drive that was sent to me at my expense and still have the issue. Consider me unhappy. I guess I should have bought a Synology.

I have notified their manager. Someone will be in touch with you soon.

2nd time I have taken time off work to be home at the appointed time and no one has called me. This is terrible customer service.

Just a note to say this remains unresolved. Wasted a lot of time money and energy trying to work with WD to no result.