New My Passport owner with SmartWare questions

I just bought a My Passport and have a couple of questions on how it works:

Question 1: I used SmartWare to backup all of my pics, docs, music, etc. This morning, it told me there was a software update, so I installed that and then opened SmartWare again. It looks like all of my files are still on the Passport if I browse to it through Windows Explorer but ithe software is showing that it’s backing everything up again. Is this because I have it set to continuous backup or is this because I installed the new version of the software?

I have USB 2.0, so the backup process is quite slow and I’d prefer to not have to go through the entire backup process again every time I open the software or plug in the Passport.

Questions 2: One of the reasons I bought this product was so that I could load some infrequently needed files (like old pictures) onto the drive and then delete them from my computer to free up space. I wanted to know if having SmartWare set to continuous backup causes it to mirror file deletions from my PC. I like that it will backup new additions but I don’t want it to delete files from My Passport that I delete from the PC. Is that how it works or can I delete things while still leaving them on the Passport?

Question 1: I used SmartWare to backup all of my pics, docs, music, etc. This morning, it told me there was a software update, so I installed that and then opened SmartWare again. It looks like all of my files are still on the Passport if I browse to it through Windows Explorer but ithe software is showing that it’s backing everything up again. Is this because I have it set to continuous backup or is this because I installed the new version of the software?

WD Smartware is a automatic backup software, meaning that it will automatically look for new files on your computer unless you set the software for a schedule backup.

WD Smartware is not a mirror backup, so if delete something from your computer, it will remain on the drive.

Please note that the definition of backup is to have two copies of your files in case one of the devices failed.

1 Like