New My Passport design is UGLY!

Have purchased many many WD hard drives over the years …

personally, i’m not fussed on the “New Look” either … but i would never switch brands, as performance and relibility is more important to me than aesthetics.

just sayin

Hey guys,
Long time fan of your drives. I own 25 of them and have been putting off buying one for the last 4 months as this new design is so awful. I finally needed one so I reluctantly bought one. Horrible packaging. Horrible design of the drive. What were you thinking? This thing looks and feels so cheap. It makes no sense to have changed the design to this. Everyone in my office agrees. Lots of WD fans but no fans of this new design. Best ones were the metal ones. Those were stylish. I’ll not switch brands but I am very reluctant to purchase whereas before I was excited. You even changed the cord shape from smooth edges to square? Please switch back.

Another one here that hates the new design.
I think it’s so odd, gives you the impression that it’s double size or that you can break the drive in two different pieces. And the pieces don’t even match, because of different texture. Difficult to believe someone actually gets payed for it. This reminds me of Andersen’s story “The emperor’s new clothes”. You need that little girl in the design team who can scream that the emperor is naked (aka the new design is ■■■■).
I’ve been avoiding new drives like plague because of this design. Luckyly Seagate has some slick slim drives…

I agree with the OP. New design is awful. I was thinking to upgrade from my 2015 My passport Ultra to the new model. Since I saw it on (insert most peoples’ favourite online retailer) all it made me want to do was fold it or snap it, not USE it.

Even Seagate’s equivalent isn’t isn’t so expletive deleted ugly.

Hi everyone,

Well it’s been close to 2 years since I posted and what I predicted happened. Based on the number of reviews from Amazon.com, Seagate 4tb portable drives are outselling WD by a factor of 5! I’ve left numerous voice mail messages for Western Digitals marketing department to call me and have never received a call back. I sent 2 letters to their CEO and sent many emails asking them to bring back the gorgeous previous My Passport Ultras.

I don’t know if any of you have tried either but the verdict is definitely in. WD doesn’t give a rats behind as to what their supports think. Proof is that the same style of Seagate drives are selling 5 times better. That is pure insanity on WD’s part. The old style of WD My Passport Ultras are fetching more than $245. If there is a moderator for this forum, I emplore you to send a link to the CEO and let him know that I think he’s a moron. I’d hate to own WD stock based on their declining sales. Am I frustrated? Oh yeah.

Your new Passport design ■■■■■.

And i create an account just to let you know. Respect IT staffs and we continue to use your products.

When you make us IT staff look like a fool when we take out your ugly looking harddisk, and peoples laugh at me, i so going to boycott your company.

They sold WD grip for the old design which is what you are suggesting in point 3. I find sky blue bumpers with (old design) white drive very nice looking.

Also the newer design is ugly too. Having those ridges on the drive is really ugly. Having that uneven seam is also bad. Those ridges just reminds me of laptop designs in the 2000s. Why can’t WD just revert to the original design since the Grip bumpers aren’t sold out yet?

I find the WD black drives design OK.