New My Cloud Updated to v03.03.02-165 Keep getting disconnected from the network

Frustrated… I spend a day on this.  My Cloud, just got today by the UPS man.  Updated firmware and software programs.  It keeps disconnecting from my 1 gig network.  The connection usually lasts about 1/2 hour.  I’m trying to perform a back-up of about 1TB of stuff.  I’ve tried both dynamic and static IP’s.  Both disconnect.  Now I am here at these forums and read others are having this problem although the release notes of the firmware upgrades says the problem is fixed.  I agree with the others… nope not fixed.  I think we are beta testers… shameful.  Should I be looking for another product and send this back to Amazon???

Thanks WD-Fan for the reply.  I do agree the price is good and the product concept is just what I am after.  I am disappointed that things haven’t been worked out better.  Although firmware can be updated, sometimes a bug in the hardware can’t be updated through firmware.  Don’t want to get kicked out of the forum and I am respectful of others opinion.  Thanks again.

Sitney:  You won’t be banned for such comments.  WD-Fan is trying to scare you.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Sitney:  You won’t be banned for such comments.  WD-Fan is trying to scare you.

Thanks TonyPh12345.

To a certain extend… I also agree with the OP. There are some “fundamental” functions in this product that are not ready for prime time. Namely: Remote access, Copying/Moving/Deleting/Renaming files or folders in a USB attached drive due to file and folder permission issues and the drive suddenly disappearing from the LAN in some network environments. There is no need to berate anyone, but given that recent firmware updates have barely attempted to address any of these issues makes one  loose confident in the product.   As I read the firmware release notes… it makes one wonder how is the management of the development team prioritizing the bug fixes? I understand that this is an inexpensive solution and that it should not be used for mission critical data. But… given that the product is targeted to the mass (volume) market WD should be careful not to disappoint too many people with one product that does not meet client expectation. Specially after the marketing bliss that came before this product was released. It was marketed as a replacement for cloud service provided by Dropbox, Google. MS… etc. So far, it has not lived close to the standard of availability and reliability. You get lots of storage for a very low price, but what good is it if you can not access it reliably or can’t use it to manipulate the files in the USB attached drive that extends its capacity.

Tamanaco wrote:

To a certain extend… I also agree with the OP. There are some “fundamental” functions in this product that are not ready for prime time. Namely: Remote access, Copying/Moving/Deleting/Renaming files or folders in a USB attached drive due to file and folder permission issues and the drive suddenly disappearing from the LAN in some network environments. There is no need to berate anyone, but given that recent firmware updates have barely attempted to address any of these issues makes one  loose confident in the product.   As I read the firmware release notes… it makes one wonder how is the management of the development team prioritizing the bug fixes. I understand that this is an inexpensive solution and that it should not be used for mission critical data. But… given that the product is targeted to the mass (volume) market WD should be careful not to disappoint too many people with one product that does not meet client expectation. Specially after the marketing bliss that came before this product was release. It was marketed as a replacement for cloud service provided by Dropbox, Google. MS… etc. So far, it has no lived close to the standard of availability and reliability. You get lots of storage for a very low price, but what good is it if you can not access it or use it to manipulate the files within it.

I agree with this.  Not to harp further, it sounds like the marketing folks got ahead of the development folks.  I purchased the product because it sounded useful and WD in my thoughts is a good company to purchase products like this from.  i.e. I expected it to work as advertised the first time.  Being a mass product, it could be a mass bad mark on ones good name if the problems dwell too long.  Hopefully WD will put the necessary resources into making this product what marketing claims it to be.  I look forward to a good solution to a what could be a very useful product.

Works fine for me, no dropoffs or disconnect on 3 myclouds with fw 165. If you can, try rebooting or even doing a factory restore (which will wipe off your data) to start fresh on the fw

tnynyn wrote:

Works fine for me, no dropoffs or disconnect on 3 myclouds with fw 165. If you can, try rebooting or even doing a factory restore (which will wipe off your data) to start fresh on the fw

Thanks for the ideas.  The unit was new yesterday and firmware upgraded before put into service.  Now in service and the only thing I am trying to do is copy files to it… a network backup device.  I have a little more than 1 TB of data and it has been a challenge getting it to the device.  If I use a different computer to backup to, it works fine… startup the process and walk away… it will get done.  Not with the WD MyCloud… I keep getting disconnected from the network.  Routers are less than a year old, running their latest firware etc.  The computer sitting next to the MyCloud I can backup to it, no problem.  So there is a network issue with the MyCloud running on my gig network.  So I am glad the magic works for you… and hope your magic is spread around to the many others, as I read here, who do have a problem.

I’m pretty sure magic works for many others too.  You’re only reading it here because people with problems will post here and those without problems dont have to post because they dont have a reason to. That being said, like I stated, do a factory restore and see if it helps.

Also your previous post makes no sense, you said you can back up to it without issues, so I dont get how you’re getting disconnected

Sitney wrote:I keep getting disconnected from the network. 

Want to clarify here.   WHAT gets disconnected?  Your PC’s connection, or the My Cloud’s connection?

tnynyn wrote:

I’m pretty sure magic works for many others too.  You’re only reading it here because people with problems will post here and those without problems dont have to post because they dont have a reason to. That being said, like I stated, do a factory restore and see if it helps.

Also your previous post makes no sense, you said you can back up to it without issues, so I dont get how you’re getting disconnected

Although I see the restore option you mention, I am not sure how that would help.  The unit came yesterday and was upgraded to the latest firmware and rebooted, so at that point it should be basically a “clean machine”, no?  Regarding my “no sence” you mention, sorry, my mind and fingures are out of sync.  I have a computer and the MyCloud device plugged into a common router.  From a different computer, I can run backups all day long into the computer sitting next to the MyCloud device.  Therefore, I believe, my gig network is OK.  If I direct the backups to the MyCloud device, I get network disconnects after 1/2 to 1 hours worth of data transfer.  I have tried several methods from simple XCOPY transfers to more complicated things.  None work with the MyCloud device, all work using the computer sitting next to the MyCloud device.  So no magic here.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Sitney wrote:I keep getting disconnected from the network. 

Want to clarify here.   WHAT gets disconnected?  Your PC’s connection, or the My Cloud’s connection?

Using XCOPY from a win 8.1 machine to the MyCloud device, I faithfully get the error on the PC, “File creation error - The network path was not found.”.   This will happen after 1/2 to 1 hours worth of data transfer.  So that is what I have been calling a loosing the network connection.

Ok, I use XCOPY like next to never.  So take this with a grain of salt.

But here’s what’s weird…   When I google that error phrase, most of the results are specific to XCOPY.

Have you tried, perhaps, some other method of bulk file copy?  (Like FreeFileSync or something) just to see if there’s any difference?

I agree.  I have used FreeFileSync with favorable results.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

But here’s what’s weird…   When I google that error phrase, most of the results are specific to XCOPY.

Have you tried, perhaps, some other method of bulk file copy?  (Like FreeFileSync or something) just to see if there’s any difference?

I have not used that, thanks for the suggestion.  I have tried “Beyond Compare” by Scooter Software, and it fails with a similar message.  Beyond Compare I have used for years and really enjoy it.  When Beyond Compare failed, that’s when I went to something more basic, XCOPY.  I also have not tried windows backup or my Acronics backup program.  I guess if the basic methods don’t  work, then something is wrong with my network or the device.  My thinking at least.

Sitney wrote:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I have not used that, thanks for the suggestion.  I have tried “Beyond Compare” by Scooter Software, and it fails with a similar message.  Beyond Compare I have used for years and really enjoy it.  When Beyond Compare failed, that’s when I went to something more basic, XCOPY.  I also have not tried windows backup or my Acronics backup program.  I guess if the basic methods don’t  work, then something is wrong with my network or the device.  My thinking at least.

Sitney,

Would you mind if I had one of my techs contact to gather logs and some more details so I can have our test teams review?

PM me with your contact info.

Thanks.

daytrdr wrote:

Sitney wrote:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Sitney,

Would you mind if I had one of my techs contact to gather logs and some more details so I can have our test teams review?

PM me with your contact info.

Thanks.

PM Sent, thanks.

I totally agree.  I have had trouble with this drive every since I got it at Christmas.  I continually states the drive is not available.  It loses connectivity consistantly which is the only thing it does do consistantly.

I also got the My Book and I thought you could plug it in to the My Cloud and have extra storage to maybe use as a backup device to back up my My Cloud, desktop and laptop but you can’t see it when it’s connected via the My Cloud…