New FW utterly UNACCEPTABLE

There are instructions on how to downgrade. Search for it.  If its slow for you, it might be the media crawler rescanning.  Otherwise, do a system restore and start fresh if you can.

Boomklever wrote:

I assume that everybody has its own wishes and priorities, say stream video, browse pictures, remote acces. For me the two most important things are:

1 - acceptable read/write speed for the shares

2 - uninterupted play of audio files (FLAC)

Yep, these are pretty much my needs as well. What’s interesting is that although for the moment I’m not using the drive for anything–no shares mounted on the desktop or anything; no apps using data on it–it keeps grinding away, hour after hour. So it’s doing something… God only knows what. (And I have “Media Streaming” and “iTunes Server” both OFF in the dashboard.)

OK, through the UI I disabled the DLNA mediaserver and it seems I got back a significant amount of the performance.

I prefer to achieve performance improvement through the interface because I can still ask WD for support, and the settings are maintained after reboot for instance.

Boomklever wrote:

Btw, I tried to ignore the slow speed of the MBL and continue to work with it.

So I just started some 1.5 Gb copy of FLAC files, which resulted into a transfer speed of…

[do not laugh]

494 kB/s

estimated time 21 hours…

I do not understand what is going on with just a simple file copy. I wish there was a button in the UI which reads ‘fast mode’ and disables all process that can better be run at night…

I just tried the same thing with some .flacs to check, albeit with some smaller folders, but I can try 1.5gig’s worth if you like?

SpeedTest.png

Seems fine to me, media server is on.

I’m also experiencing very slow write speeds. The performance is similar, but slower than with an earlier firmware release which was subsequently fixed. 4.0 is way slower than the previous version. I tested it wired and wireless and I’m getting about half or less than half the speed I used to get using the same file from the same desktop on the same network. I tested before and after the upgrade… firmware being the only change.

Thank you for your feedback in this thread.

We have seen some users report that installing 3rd party applications through “apt-get” causes the WDMyCloud device to not function correctly.   For more information on this, we suggest users read the “Instructions to rebuild a Debian package” section of the WD-Readme.txt located within our GPL source package that can be downloaded here:

http://support.wd.com/product/download.asp?groupid=904&sid=233&lang=en

As a reminder, the following message is communicated to users when using SSH to access their WDMyCloud device:

Please note that modifying or attempting to modify this device outside the normal operation of the product voids your WD warranty.

Some users have asked how to reinstall the current firmware to stabilize their device.  Using SSH, the following commands can be issued, however, we recommend contacting WD Support ( http://support.wdc.com) if you are not comfortable issuing this command yourself.

updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /CacheVolume/updateFile.deb

1 Like