New FW 4.00.00 upgrade results

I did this last night and it did seem to hang on restarting after the update, I got an error but it seemed to sort itself out and I could access stuff from my iphone.

This evening however I have tried copying over some large files but it stops starts stop starts, I gave up in the end so that seems to be an issue. i have also rebooted a few times now and that takes ages too, there is also a lag when going through options in the UI, i.e. I click on one thing and nothing, go to something else and it then starts doing the thing I previously clicked on.

yep the UI is horrendously slow now

takes ages for users/shares to be accessed

Hi,

for me it is not understandable why people constantly complain about playing here at the SSH level - for which no support is provided.:confounded:

For me it is only important that runs the box. Whether by UpDate deleted something changed or packages are not correct, but does not matter.

For Mr. Normal Users, like me, only counts the speed and security. Access must be ensured between inside and outside.

Whether any SSH routine running properly, or some selfnamed Superuser fishing for compliments…:angry:

regards

Lucky:wink:

1 Like

This thread has been pretty useful and that was my intent for starting it. countless people probably have benefited by reading what thers are saying about the latest FW.

I personally run “Transmission”, “Rsync daemon” and on occasion “BTSYNC” on my drive. As it is turning out, seems like this verision has broken and is preventing users from even re-installing 3rd party apps that had been running fine on previous versions. So i’m definitely going to hold off this FW.

WD should not have a taken this approach of killing 3rd paty apps. Unless their spokesman can comment if perhaps this was unintentional on their part?

Update (WD please read this):

I can no longer access the drive through the Dashboard UI. It won’t load in any browser I’ve tried. Cannot access any features that way anymore.

The MyCloud desktop seems to work as it should.

The drive no longer is showing up in the Finder, though I can connect via smb using the drive’s IP address on my network.

I can connect remotely using the iPhone apps (MyCloud and WD Photos).

I can connect remotely when my laptop is tethered to my phone, using My Cloud desktop.

Other than that, the drive is sitting across the room, connected to my router, with its little blue light shining solidly.

I am also getting errors on my Sonos since this update. I have my music in my shared music folder on the WD drive, it’s jumping around and I am getting strange errors not seen before!

There’s a definiote issue with regard to accessing the device remotely.  As soon as as you do it vanishes from the local network too.  Without remote access this device may as well be thown in the waste bin.

In fact any type of remote access attempt - via wdtgo or via the ios app or android app will break the device on the local network.

So remote access is broken

and the device is broken

My current experience:

If the device shows up on the network (Finder, OS X 10.9.4), response from MyCloud UI is very slow and flaky – if it works at all. If the UI works, it takes a couple of minutes to populate any information.

OTOH, if the device is accessed by the UI, attempted (or previously mapped) connections via the Finder fail and the drive disappears from the network.

Screen Shot 2014-07-10 at 1.48.14 PM.png

AFTER the 4.0 Firmware update:

• Updated network connection reliability (It’s worse now… it takes longer for the Dashboard to load and shares are a lot slower to display their content)
  • Updated device read and write performance (It was OK before almost unusable now… write speeds are dismal. Slower than with an early firmware release that had a similar problem which was subsequently fixed)
  • Updated video metadata extraction performance (I don’t use the Media Server I use SMB shares to access my media files with a media player that supports the metadata I use to tag my media files)
  • Resolved issue of dashboard not being accessible when the admin user is deleted (If the native interface allowed users to easily delete the admin user then the firmware should not have allowed users to do so - If users were deleting it via SSH then they should have known better)
  • Resolved issue of share permissions not being able to be changed (Don’t know if this is related… - I’ve been having issues copying from my desktop to the drive attached to the external USB port - I get Permission Errors when copying - “You need permission to perform this action” - I usually remove the USB drive and copy the files while attached directly to my desktop… then I reconnect it to the MYCloud to share them - Not pretty)
  • Resolved issue of .srt subtitle files not being displayed when streaming videos to LG® Smart TVs (I use SMB shares with Media Players that support .srt files that reside in the same folder and have the same name as the video file. For me DLNA servers add a level of complexity that I can do without - I have yet to find a DLNA server than when paired with DLNA Client(s) display my media library the same way consistently after every re-scan - The servers appear to index my large media library differently every time)

Same issues here too.

We REALLY need an update on this, WD!

Can I roll back to the previous firmware?

OK - my two pennuth…

No UI or dashboard any more

Read speeds unusably slow

Write speeds equally unusable

This is not OK, and we need a solution right now.

Like some users, I’m not a technician, so I don’t want something that means I have to enter code - I want the simple act of installing new, corrected firmware. Without a dashboard or UI, I have no idea how that will be possible, but I’m waiting to be advised…

Thank you for your feedback in this thread.

We have seen some users report that installing 3rd party applications through “apt-get” causes the WDMyCloud device to not function correctly.   For more information on this, we suggest users read the “Instructions to rebuild a Debian package” section of the WD-Readme.txt located within our GPL source package that can be downloaded here:

http://support.wd.com/product/download.asp?groupid=904&sid=233&lang=en

As a reminder, the following message is communicated to users when using SSH to access their WDMyCloud device:

Please note that modifying or attempting to modify this device outside the normal operation of the product voids your WD warranty.

Some users have asked how to reinstall the current firmware to stabilize their device.  Using SSH, the following commands can be issued, however, we recommend contacting WD Support ( http://support.wdc.com) if you are not comfortable issuing this command yourself.

updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /CacheVolume/updateFile.deb