New Firmware?

Bill_S wrote:

There was a lot more work on this than what it looks like.  And I think users will realize this once it’s fully rolled out.

Oh I have no doubt there was a lot of work behind the scene. But only time will be the judge if that work was a step forward or a step backward. Right now, if the firmware released last week is the final OS 3 firmware, then there wasn’t much of change other than the UI. That leads one to think (and assume) that the same may be done to the apps simply because of the press release marking hype over the OS 3 and what was finally released. If anything more issues were introduced by changing the UI. Not to mention the lack of additional features being added, even if rudimentary, like basic control over subfolders in shares on the WD My Cloud including the stupid fixing of a bug that allowed users to set the Public share to Private. Fixing that particular “bug” was a step backward, not forward.

One shouldn’t have to resort to using SSH to fix some (or many) of the issues that plague users as evidenced by the people who come to this user to user support site looking for answers to their problems.

Like I’ve said either in this thread or elsewhere, I really do hope that this “OS 3” marking hype will be an improvement but so far on the firmware side I’m not seeing it.

Well, I guess we’ll see. 

Will it:

I) not trash twonky settings on firmware upgrade?

ii) not trash twonky settings when you cycle media streaming control?

iii) allow users to turn off thumbnailing and indexing from the dashboard?

iv) allow the installation of apps?

v) sleep?

vi) allow share size quotas?

vii) allow all shares to be made private?

viii) preserve original file dates when copying files using mobile apps?

I guess we’ll see…

Or maybe just publish a new user manual, or design spec…

Unfortunately, we can’t publish anything until the full release.  Or, I gladly would. :smiley:

My experience is that this upgrade changed the permissions on MANY of the subdirectories in one of my Public folders (the one on the WD 4 Tb drive) not the USB attachment. The top folder seems to have the correct permissions but sub folders now vary. In some I can no longer add or delete files or create new folders. Windows lists the dud folders as having Everyone, www-data (user) and www-data (group), while those that still work have Everyone, nobody (user) and share (group). Is there a quick fix or is this just another mess? Luckily my other drive did not update and is fine.

Hi

The point about the Permission changes to some of the subdirectories was passed onto support last Thursday and hopefully a soultion will be found.

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Cloud/Folders-Within-Public-Share-Read-Only-after-Firmware-Update/td-p/902536

I’m on Windows 10 btw, but not sure if that has anything to do with it as it was working before the firmware update.

Besides “late september”, is there a specific date planned for the latest firmware to be deployed to evryone and os3 as well? I just had to reformat everything on my cloud and dont want to put data back until I get the latest firmware. My cloud is not detecting the new one firmware yet. Will hope a download lime will eventually be made official.

stephenjones007 wrote:

Besides “late september”, is there a specific date planned for the latest firmware to be deployed to evryone and os3 as well? I just had to reformat everything on my cloud and dont want to put data back until I get the latest firmware. My cloud is not detecting the new one firmware yet. Will hope a download lime will eventually be made official.

The date tossed around was Sept 21 (ie today) per some online reports commenting on WD’s OS 3 press release announcement like this one from AnandTech.com.

As of 7:00am Eastern Standard Time in the US, WD2Go.com or its replacement is still offline. The WD Support website for the My Cloud (base models) still shows the older 04.01.04-422 firmware.  Still shows the other apps and software. No indication of their being updated (or release notes). No new WD My Cloud apps in the Google Play Store. Existing WD My Cloud App and WD Photos for Android shows they were both was last updated on February 27, 2015. No press releases in the WD Press Room since Sept 1.

Because the headquarters for Western Digital is in Irvine, CA (at least the US HQ) they probably will release (if anything is released today) more information or the apps sometime later today because they’re Pacific Daylight Time which is UTC -7:00.

I really hope its today. Most of the documentation however I found from WD says late September. Mostly external sources states the 21 st. :frowning:

stephenjones007 wrote:

Unfortunately, no exact date.  But I would definitely say within the next week and a half, or so.  

kowloon_chan wrote:

After upgrading to the newest firmware, the dashboard is totally unaccessible. The My Cloud app cannot connect to the MyCloud and no SSH either. The shares show up in Explorer though.

Any solution to this? Thanks.

Did you give it time to re-index the files, after the upload?  It may take a while.

Command Injection in the WD My Cloud NAS

Introduction

The Western Digital My Cloud (“Personal Cloud Storage”), or WD My Cloud for short, is a consumer NAS product. The idea behind this device is for a household, team, or small-organization to have full and complete control over their data in a private cloud environment without having to trust their data storage to multi-tenanted services hosted by other companies. Their data can be accessed from a desktop behind a private LAN or a smartphone located on the other side of the world. Given frequent news stories of major hacks and database leaks and the exposure of private information, personal NAS devices are ideal solutions for many looking for more privacy.

The WD My Cloud is predominantly displayed at major stores such as Costco, Walmart, Fry’s Electronics, etc. so perhaps most of our readers have seen this or know someone that owns one. It’s an easy product to purchase and configure for multi-tenanted use within a household or small organization. With heavy advertising, a decent price-point, and easy setup there is an appeal to own one.

This post is a brief outline of remote command injection and cross-site request forgery (“CSRF”) vulnerabilities discovered while conducting research into the WD My Cloud device. These and a number of other issues have been reported to Western Digital and updates are in the process of being rolled out for the My Cloud, My Cloud Mirror, EX2, DL2100, and other devices as of September 11th 2015.

“The firmware will be made publicly available for all users and interested parties by September 21st 2015.”

read more at < http://versprite.com/og/command-injection-in-the-wd-my-cloud-nas/>

Western Digital has begun to slowly roll out the latest firmware for our MyCloud product in support of the new My Cloud OS 3 operating system. Once fully rolled out, MyCloud OS3 will support such features as a Software Developer Kit (SDK) enabling enhanced app integration, a more intuitive user interface delivering a rich content-sharing experience, and back-up and sync capabilities that elevate the personal cloud NAS offering while retaining the privacy and control unique to personal cloud devices physically located in the home or office.

WD will have these new features available for customers on the latest code late September of 2015.

Speaking of the sdk.  What is the process restsdk-serverd.  It is writting to the /var/log/user.log every few minutes.  Logging an error message about a missing file.

RAC

Looks like a beta site is available

http://beta.mycloud.com/

Cool! The Beta-Site works on my office-Pc without Java! And the it look and feel is like a Dropbox account.

First impression: well done!

init0 wrote:

Looks like a beta site is available

http://beta.mycloud.com/

Some rooting around on that beta site turns up the WD Sync File Synchronization App for both Mac and Windows. Looks like they need to update the software a bit but here is a screen cap that appears to indicate the "sync"ing will be done both locally and remotely to give others an idea of what the software may be capable of. If so that will be good news as numerous people ask for that feature.

WDSyncHomeWork.jpg

Some overview info from the ‘help’ file included with the WD Sync program. Note this information may change when the software is pushed out publicly to all. As of now it refers to the Japan WD website(s) in various instances including when setting up an email link for others to access and download a file one one’s WD My Cloud drive.

About the WD Sync software

The WD Sync™ software is a two-way file synchronization application that automatically creates and maintains exact copies of files and folders on multiple computers in a local or wide area network (LAN or WAN) configuration. File synchronization is accomplished by:

• WD Sync software installed on each computer
  • Firmware on your network-attached WD personal cloud storage device

Installing and configuring the WD Sync software on your computer creates a pair of new folders named WD Sync on your local system hard drive and on your WD personal cloud storage device. The path to the WD Sync folder on your local system hard drive is \Users<your user name>\WD Sync.

The path to the WD Sync folder on your WD personal cloud storage device depends on the user name and password you used when you configured the WD Sync software on the device:

• \WDSync\WD Sync for device admin users named admin
  • <your user name>\WD Sync for:
    • Device admin users not named admin
    • Device nonadmin users who know and used the admin user password
  • \Public\WD Sync for all others

When you copy a file or folder into the WD Sync folder on your computer, the WD Sync software automatically copies it to the WD Sync folder on:

• Your WD personal cloud storage device
  • Any other computer in your network with the WD Sync software installed

Then, whenever you change or delete a file in the WD Sync folder on any device, the WD Sync software replicates the change on all of the other devices.

You can also match (pair) any other folder on your computer with any other folder on your WD personal cloud storage device. The WD Sync software synchronizes the contents of the matched (paired) folders just like the WD Sync folder.

Note: When you copy a file or folder to the WD Sync folder, the WD Sync software synchronizes only that version of the file or folder—the one that you copied to the WD Sync folder. It does not synchronize the original or source version of the file or folder. If you want to sync the original/source version of a file, define a new sync folder pair using the folder that the file is in and another folder on your WD personal cloud storage device.

Note also: The WD Sync software is designed to sync your application data files. It is neither intended nor suitable for syncing your applications or executable program files. If you want to sync your applications or executable program files, first use a file compression utility and copy the resulting .zip file to your sync folder.

Check this out http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705143.pdf

Hope it’s the final version.

1 Like

tzalewski wrote:

Check this out http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705143.pdf

Hope it’s the final version.

It appears to be an updated WD My Cloud User Manual to account for the new Dashboard UI. Of course some of the information and features mentioned in there may not apply to the lower end WD My Clouds (backups, apps and network status for example) unless those options/features get added in in a later firmware (later than v04.04.00-303).