New Firmware?

I suffered the blank capacity frame too, after experiencing a completely blank login frame; in my case, I activated the ssh access, logged into the drive, and ‘top’ showed me the analysis process was stuck while building a little icon for a movie. I killed the avconv process (which was eating 100% cpu time) from ‘top’ by sending a signal 15, and the analysis process resumed. My WDMyCloud is now fully operationnal. Nonetheless, I still think this update is buggy, shouldn’t be trusted nor installed before having been fully Q&A checked.

M.

I’ve just downloaded the .deb file. There must be some major changes under the hood, because it’s shrunk from 164MB to 124MB. Maybe they’ve just had a bit of a spring clean…

mauve wrote:

I suffered the blank capacity frame too, after experiencing a completely blank login frame; in my case, I activated the ssh access, logged into the drive, and ‘top’ showed me the analysis process was stuck while building a little icon for a movie. I killed the avconv process (which was eating 100% cpu time) from ‘top’ by sending a signal 15, and the analysis process resumed. My WDMyCloud is now fully operationnal. Nonetheless, I still think this update is buggy, shouldn’t be trusted nor installed before having been fully Q&A checked.

M.

No joy for me. Don’t even see an avconv process running. Still no Capacity info on the home screen. I don’t keep any media settings on any of the shares, since I don’t do DLNA. But that should not matter as before the update I always had Capacity info.

Sorry to hear that. I’m not very knowledgeable about those devices, I just have some linux background. Nothing looked amiss in ‘top’ when you looked at it ? No zombie process, or endless loop ? Clearly, the capacity display is linked in a way to the state of the database. While files aren’t finished indexing, it stays blank. If nothing else helps, I’d rebuilt it from scratch and see if it helps.

M.

my cloud has updated to the latest firmware and now nothing works the ui is blank i can’t access remotley and the music server is not running i have tried to reboot the thing about 4 times leaving it about 12 hours in between each reboot and still nothing i have even rebooted the router a few times i hope they are working on a good fix as before the last update everthing was working fine even on my wd photos app it just says no photos found

Just tried it myself in vain and got the same result as before: MyCloud simply became non-responsive, no access to Dashboard etc. Downgrading to V3 again as we speak - like I did back in May - as it proved to be most suitable approach and stable build (and my Cloud was working like a treat since then).

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Cloud/Poll-Who-has-reverted-to-V3-firmware-and-why/m-p/874980#M34452

I’ve see the blank sreen and blank capacity on my single bay NAS with 4.04 firmware, but never with previous versions.

Also, I noticed that with each firmeware upgrade, all my files are indexed but normally I never loose the UI.

ssh’d and notice the average load was about 20 22 & 25 (fairly hight) so that must be the crawler doing it’s thing.

Now I’m wondering what else is going on in the background. Would have been better to put a “i’m updating” message in the UI when the processes are working.

After my system finished indexing or whatever OS3 was doing (around 6 hours), the  UI came back and OMG!! the UI is much faster than before. Can’t wait to use the new web based remote access. I’m guessing it’s similar to DropBox.

1 Like

init0 wrote:

I’ve see the blank sreen and blank capacity on my single bay NAS with 4.04 firmware, but never with previous versions.

Also, I noticed that with each firmeware upgrade, all my files are indexed but normally I never loose the UI.

ssh’d and notice the average load was about 20 22 & 25 (fairly hight) so that must be the crawler doing it’s thing.

Now I’m wondering what else is going on in the background. Would have been better to put a “i’m updating” message in the UI when the processes are working.

After my system finished indexing or whatever OS3 was doing (around 6 hours), the  UI came back and OMG!! the UI is much faster than before. Can’t wait to use the new web based remote access. I’m guessing it’s similar to DropBox.

Still no joy for me. Did a reboot, UI showed Scanning files, 3 hours later Scanning Idle, and no Capacity info.

1 Like

If nothing works try a System Only  Factory Restore , worked for Me and capacity shows even when building/indexing

Have you tried a System Only Factory Restore, worked for Me

The trouble was I lost connection to Dashboard completely, it just would not show up. So I was / would not be able to restore these settings anyway.

In either case 12 hours aftter downgrading My Cloud performes as before.

I would be very much interested what’s in my data that prevents indexing process from successful completion and ultimately grinds this device to a halt - that does not happen with firmware V3.

ssh dose not work on the firware  just say remote conection closed or crashes  … so u cant install  transmission  there found away to block it  :frowning:

mic2k14 wrote:

ssh dose not work on the firware  just say remote conection closed or crashes  …

SSH is working for me under the new firmware, both via a local computer and via an Android device. Use SSH to shutdown the WD My Cloud when not in use (it gets shut down almost nightly now).

Some are reporting they are fixing various issues with this new firmware by doing a system restore. See the following link for more information.

How to restore a My Cloud Storage device to factory default settings

Have you installed transmission on this new firmware … just every time a try install it a connection closed from remote host ://

Put a support request in and I did a soft reset (with paper clip). That finally got the Capacity display back. But now I cannot logout of the UI - see the attached image. No Logout menu item.

init0 wrote:

I’m glad you like the UI speed.  By the way, the re-indexing process is normal after an update.  It’s the way the device functions, and we do appreciate your patience with it.

Bennor wrote:

cpt_paranoia wrote:

They have some sort of animation thing now with stuff sliding in from the right side

What a pointless waste of developer effort.  ‘Bread and circuses’, eh?

Why not actually address some user requests?

So far its almost nothing more than a cosmetic change tp the firmware meant to dazzle the noob/Joe Six Pack user. I’ll never understand why developers/companies do this. Make a big deal about the “new OS”, issue press releases, when in effect all they are simply changing the interface just for the sake of changing the interface. Meanwhile all the underlying problems remain and they introduced at least one NEW problem in that one can no longer use the Dashboard bug to set the Public share to private. My guess is they’ll do the same with the apps.

There was a lot more work on this than what it looks like.  And I think users will realize this once it’s fully rolled out.

Bill_S wrote:

There was a lot more work on this than what it looks like.  And I think users will realize this once it’s fully rolled out.

Oh I have no doubt there was a lot of work behind the scene. But only time will be the judge if that work was a step forward or a step backward. Right now, if the firmware released last week is the final OS 3 firmware, then there wasn’t much of change other than the UI. That leads one to think (and assume) that the same may be done to the apps simply because of the press release marking hype over the OS 3 and what was finally released. If anything more issues were introduced by changing the UI. Not to mention the lack of additional features being added, even if rudimentary, like basic control over subfolders in shares on the WD My Cloud including the stupid fixing of a bug that allowed users to set the Public share to Private. Fixing that particular “bug” was a step backward, not forward.

One shouldn’t have to resort to using SSH to fix some (or many) of the issues that plague users as evidenced by the people who come to this user to user support site looking for answers to their problems.

Like I’ve said either in this thread or elsewhere, I really do hope that this “OS 3” marking hype will be an improvement but so far on the firmware side I’m not seeing it.

Well, I guess we’ll see. 

Will it:

I) not trash twonky settings on firmware upgrade?

ii) not trash twonky settings when you cycle media streaming control?

iii) allow users to turn off thumbnailing and indexing from the dashboard?

iv) allow the installation of apps?

v) sleep?

vi) allow share size quotas?

vii) allow all shares to be made private?

viii) preserve original file dates when copying files using mobile apps?

I guess we’ll see…

Or maybe just publish a new user manual, or design spec…