New firmware?

Any idea if WD is working on a new firmware and when it might be released? Hopefully it will include USB HUB support! Thanks.

We know they are working on new firmware – they are ALWAYS working on new firmware – but only WD knows when it will be released (and they won’t tell anyone in advance of that time frame).

As to what will be in it or not – that would require a Quiji board.

I’ve come to a pretty simple conclusion.  The WDTV Live is pretty much all we’re going to get out of it.  At the most, any future upgrades will probably just be bug fixes but nothing significant.  I’ve had mine for several months now and, to be perfectly honest, it’s now the centerpeice of my livingroom entertainment.  However, hoping for fixes and additional features from WD? It’s a waste of time at this point. 

Hoestly, I see no benifit to WD in adding features.  They will likely come out with a new device before upgrading this one with new features.  About the only thing I would hope to expect at this point would be maybe WD will fix the device so fast-forward and chapter skip is a little more fluid.  Again, don’t hold your breath! 

Just my 2 bits…

Almost forgot to add one more thing… 

I absolutly LOVE the WDTV Live…  Even with the bugs and what-not and what I said above… It’s still the best **bleep** device of it’s class around.  By leaps and bounds!! 

Steve_V wrote:

I’ve come to a pretty simple conclusion.  The WDTV Live is pretty much all we’re going to get out of it.  At the most, any future upgrades will probably just be bug fixes but nothing significant.  I’ve had mine for several months now and, to be perfectly honest, it’s now the centerpeice of my livingroom entertainment.  However, hoping for fixes and additional features from WD? It’s a waste of time at this point. 

Hoestly, I see no benifit to WD in adding features.  They will likely come out with a new device before upgrading this one with new features.  About the only thing I would hope to expect at this point would be maybe WD will fix the device so fast-forward and chapter skip is a little more fluid.  Again, don’t hold your breath! 

Just my 2 bits…

Welcome to the forum.  :)

I think most of your points are correct and will prove true as the months progress.  

As long as we do get some bug fixes for outstanding issues, and perhaps some kind of chapter nav for ISOs (full menus are not going to happen), I’ll be perfectly happy.  Mine already works great and gets used pretty much daily.

Hopefully there will be a PreRelease firmware in a couple of weeks to keep people happy, although what it’ll fix is anyone’s guess!  :D

PixelPower wrote:>  (full menus are not going to happen)> * * *

Is this a confirmed fact? No DVD Menu is going to happen? I know about  Bluray menu not being implemented, but I sure hoped for DVD Menu, Chapters, etc.

For me I wish it would either decode or pass through DTS-HD. Until it does, it will be lacking and I will be looking for a replacement. Other than that, I’m happy with it.

willynanita wrote:

PixelPower wrote:>  (full menus are not going to happen)> * * *

Is this a confirmed fact? No DVD Menu is going to happen? I know about  Bluray menu not being implemented, but I sure hoped for DVD Menu, Chapters, etc.

Just reading between the lines.  The staff comment on the Full Menu support thread in the Ideas Lab is:  “I believe there are tons of ideas on DVD Nav.  We will see what we can do.

That’s pretty different to the obvious desired answer, which would be: “…this is a good idea and we’ll implement full menu support”.  I think we’ll end up getting chapter / maybe feature access support but not the full menus.

I could be totally wrong though!  :)

I think I read in one of the other idea threads that they want to implement a Jump To Time feature.  That would make a lot of people happy.

I appreciate all the replies… I beg to differ though on wd not wanting to add features cause it would do them no good. Well for one thing, if they add USB HUB SUPPORT then guess what?? Wd will make more money on people buying more WD Harddrives to use with the live tv player. I for one don’t wanna have to switch back and forth and back again between 3-4 drives. Especially if you have a usb wirless adapter plugged in. Well that leaves you with 1 little usb input to switch between 3-4 drives. Now since there is already hacked firmware that ALLOWS usb hub. Why can’t big ol Western Digital do it? It makes no sense, that a hacker can do it, yet the people who made the product can’t? hummmm… makes ya think. If they don’t I will be forced to use a hacked firmware just for the usb hub support, which is sad, very sad indeed.