New Firmware, version: 2.03.24

More details to be found here:

http://support.wdc.com/download/notes/WDTV_Live_Hub_Release_Notes_2_03_24.pdf

Looks like a fair number of fixes, which is cool for a short month. Updating now.

After the update and media library updated, all of the coverart and descriptions are gone. I have 213 movies to redo, for the fourth of fifth time. Wow.

Looking at the drive through Windows Explorer, it seems the metadata folder is gone.

Great, seems like a lot of updates. I’ve only had the device 1 day and noticed a few issues with the UI I hope they’ve been ironed out now.

98_1LE wrote:

After the update and media library updated, all of the coverart and descriptions are gone. I have 213 movies to redo, for the fourth of fifth time. Wow.

Looking at the drive through Windows Explorer, it seems the metadata folder is gone.

• *That’s because the metadata is now stored WITH the movies!!! Meaning you can now provide your OWN metadata without having to do backflips!

OK, that is good news. Is there documentation on how to do it? Right now I don’t have the data shared such that the hub can write to it. I assume I need to change this, or can I use any scraper to populate the info, and the hub will just read it?

Yes, apparantly there are a lot of changes the aren’t mentioned in the changelog. The metadata is indeed now stored with the video files instead of in a separate directory, which is a very good idea in my opinion. It is still not retrieved automatically, which is a pity, but anyway.

The naming of the metadata file is now the same as the movie files instead of the same as the title found in themoviedb.org… which is a lot more robust… 

So in the background quite some good changes!

Looks like you’d need to enable writes only long enough to pull the data, then back to read only. It appears that its ALMOST compatible with XBMCs NFO format, with a few tags needing to change…

If that is the case…I am not happy.  I am not going to give these devices write access to my movies fileshare folder.  That would give my wife and kids the ability to “accidently” delete my content.  I think it is better to store this information locally anyway so it doesn’t have to pull the data accross the network when browsing through your catalog of movies (it was already slow enough).  It has a 1TB local hardware, why not use it to speed up the interface anyway possible.  Any I am going to test this with my admin password for this fileshare and see if that is the case.  If it is…How do I backrev the firmware?  I don’t need any of the updates, it was working just fine.

uhm, why does nobody mention the now working AUTOFRAMERATE?

its so great having that working now after so many devices  :D

VPBOAT wrote:

If that is the case…I am not happy.  I am not going to give these devices write access to my movies fileshare folder.  That would give my wife and kids the ability to “accidently” delete my content.  I think it is better to store this information locally anyway so it doesn’t have to pull the data accross the network when browsing through your catalog of movies (it was already slow enough).  It has a 1TB local hardware, why not use it to speed up the interface anyway possible.  Any I am going to test this with my admin password for this fileshare and see if that is the case.  If it is…How do I backrev the firmware?  I don’t need any of the updates, it was working just fine.

VP… Just change it to WRITE long enough to make updates, then switch it back to read only. Easy peasy, takes about 30 seconds on my NAS. Auto framerate doesn’t seem to work well… Audio sync issues at 24p for me. I’ve already turned it off. :wink:

I tested and verified write access is required, but do not see the files it is creating on my NAS.

EDIT: N/M I see the files it is creating.

drwxr-xr-x 1 chuck chuck    48 Oct 31  2009 AUDIO_TS/
-rwxrw-r-- 1 chuck chuck 46107 Dec 31 07:19 Italian_Job\ (1969).jpg*
-rwx------ 1 root   root    2471 Dec 31 07:19 Italian_Job\ (1969).xml*
drwxr-xr-x 1 chuck chuck   848 Nov 27 08:59 VIDEO_TS/

quote TonyPh12345:

Auto framerate doesn’t seem to work well… Audio sync issues at 24p for me. I’ve already turned it off.

did you try with “passthrough audio with hdmi only”?

didn’t had any audioproblems with local files (hd/sd) so far

Tony, I appreciate the comment.  I will be doing that.  

beatmaster wrote:

quote TonyPh12345:

Auto framerate doesn’t seem to work well… Audio sync issues at 24p for me. I’ve already turned it off.

did you try with “passthrough audio with hdmi only”?

didn’t had any audioproblems with local files (hd/sd) so far

• *Yep, of course… That’s all I use. It’s not BAD, I could adjust in my AVR, but it’s notthat big a deal to me…