New Firmware Version 1.02.12 for the My Book World I & II (10/19/11)

Hi everyone. Brand new to this board.

I upgraded the new firmware today

01.02.12 with MioNet 4.3.1.13

and this is what i have in my status.

MBW appears in Finder, but no folders are visible for access. The data on the drive is only file sharing stuff (pictures, music and backups).

I can’t access anything and we have heaps of really important stuff on the drive.

Can someone help a complete n00b out, fixing this thing or maybe just recovering the data? Or ‘finding’ the volume?

thanks, yr help is greatly appreciated.

When the WD is a sleeping mode the WD isn’t in the finder anymore. I need to reboot my routeur to wake up the WD and the WD is in my finder again !

Where is the problem ? WD or Mac OS X ? So no problem with 1.02.06 !

Hi Kimmyjus, that looks like a more serious problem than most people have on this thread… can you post a pic of your “advanced mode” > “Storage” and “Disk Manager” screens?

Upgraded from .06 at the weekend.  Process was smooth without any problems and have had uninterrupted access since then.

Took a while to get it but works perfectly for me!  Thanks

updated to this latest firmware and what a bad move. Now I have the same problem I had before the 1.02.06 firmware, have to reboot at least 3-4 times a day!!

WD your products stink!!

Jazzwhistle wrote:

Hi Kimmyjus, that looks like a more serious problem than most people have on this thread… can you post a pic of your “advanced mode” > “Storage” and “Disk Manager” screens?

hi Jazz. thanks for replying to my post. I would send you pics of the screens, but Safari can now no longer find the server. It was finding it on bonjour fine yesterday…

As soon as I can get those screenshots, I’ll post them.

Jazzwhistle wrote:

Hey Jazzwhistle,

Accessed! :slight_smile: I really do appreciate you checking this out for me.

Just clutching at straws here but my router IP is 192.168.0.5 and my MBW IP is 192.168.0.3

will this matter at all?

In response to my earler post about the MBWE Locking up and responding to a ping using the latest firmware, I can now report that it is Twonky Media Server causing all my problems.  Once I had deleted twonky (which I don’t use) using ssh the device now stays up and running.

I’m not impressed with WD at the moment.

Hi,

I’ve just updated my “mybookword” edition to the latest firmware (10/19/2011) and I still can’t use time machine ! Anybody tried and successed ? Any suggestion ?

Thank you

Hi Kimmyjus,

That’s got to be good news that the HD appears OK in those settings - but the big error “DataVolume does not exist” probably means you’ve got a problem that only WD can fix :frowning: Unless there’s someone else on this board willing to lend their expertise?

Can you access your data using afp://192.168.0.3/yoursharenamegoeshere in the Finder  “Go” > “Connect to Server” menu? I presume you’ve already rebooted the MBW… This shouldn’t make any difference, but do you see the same problem when you access the MBW admin using simply http://192.168.0.3?

EDIT: I’ve just noticed the date/time of your screen shot says 25/10 but it looks like you posted on the 24th…  unless you are at GMT+10?!  Do check the time settings are correct as this can cause all sorts of problems.

Jazzwhistle wrote:

Hi Kimmyjus,

That’s got to be good news that the HD appears OK in those settings - but the big error “DataVolume does not exist” probably means you’ve got a problem that only WD can fix :frowning: Unless there’s someone else on this board willing to lend their expertise?

Can you access your data using afp://192.168.0.3/yoursharenamegoeshere in the Finder  “Go” > “Connect to Server” menu? I presume you’ve already rebooted the MBW… This shouldn’t make any difference, but do you see the same problem when you access the MBW admin using simply http://192.168.0.3?

EDIT: I’ve just noticed the date/time of your screen shot says 25/10 but it looks like you posted on the 24th…  unless you are at GMT+10?!  Do check the time settings are correct as this can cause all sorts of problems.

we are at GMT+10! :smiley: Brisbane, Australia.

I’ll try thiis out and let you know.

the new firmware worked ok for a few days, then it just crapped out. i wiped the MBWE II and started over completely. I have 2 macs on wifi and a new Belkin 750 router, but the MBWE II keeps dropping off the network.

I haven’t been able to use my NAS reliably since JULY. I am very frustrated, but I know the WD team is working to resolve this. 

i hope a new firmware finally fixes the problem. 

now i cannot log in to the Time Machine backup AT ALL. 

No matter what I do, I cannot log in.

WD_Backup account just does not work. UGH!!!

After my automatic upgrade to the new firmware, Time Machine started to work. It took around 10 minutes to upgrade to the new firmware level. I can connect to the network shares also in 30-40 seconds. Be sure that your computer and Mybook is on the same workgroup/domain…

Itunes can not stream still.

Thanks WD. 

After installing this update, I sadly have to report that (for me at least) this update is complete garbage.  I’m re-deploying 01.02.06 installing opware and the homebrew Netatalk that fixes the issue.  Sure I will STILL have to disable crappy Twonky or I’ll get lockups but at least it will work.

Same here. After upgrading to 1.02.12 I solved all the problems about network stability but:

• it takes 20 - 30 seconds to connect to shares as a registred user (with previous firmware il took no more than 2 seconds) on Mac machine; no delays on Windows machines;

• iTunes can not stream: it tries to connect with no results.

Please WD help us to fix our problems: MBWE II was great, fast, affordable with previous firmware!

Hello to everyone.
Even for me it’s the same thing: I have a home network managed by a router and two netgear switches with Mac Snow Leopard. The connection times with TM have become very long, while with the older firmware were instantaneous.
The same happens when I connect as a registered user to shared folders.
I updated the FW 1.02.10 in September and I expected the new firmware without doing anything. I have full confidence in the development of the WD stuff. :wink:

well, i took my MBW to a computer tech friend of mine and he’s said the drive is knackered. there was nothing wrong with the drive before we did the update. i have to now employ the services of a data collection company to get the 10 years or so of documents, travel and family photos we have on that. costing between $700 and $1500 to do so. this will not be the last we hear of this saga.

@kimmyjus before you fork out those sums… have you first tried connectng via Ethernet? If that fails too, you could open up the MBW ( http://www.instructables.com/id/Disassembling-MyBook-World-Edition/)) and connect the disk to a machine running Ubuntu (or any machine that can read linux partitions), and from there you should be able to access the data…