New Firmware Version 1.02.12 for the My Book World I & II (10/19/11)

Simonaz wrote:

Nope, it hasn’t.

Can someone please explain (in ■■■■■ proof terms with no jargon) what this has done please as I can’t see what it’s fixed.

We added Lion Support and also resolved the networking issue seen with some networks.  More or less its the same as 01.02.10 build… with the issues resolved.

When I connect finder with My Book World I get message:

Something wrong with the volume’s CNID DB, using temporary CNID DB instead.Check server messages for details!

But after 2 error messages Finder is connected!!!

A reboot didn’t help.

TimeMachine doesn’t work, too.

Error-Message: The BackUp Volume doesn’t support AFP functions

I’m on Mac OSX Lion 10.7.2; My Book World 1 firmware 01.02.12 with MioNet (loaded manually today)

grrr

Any ideas?

Hello,

For the moment my network issues are also solved (let’s hope it stays like this).

But I also have the same issue with the Twonky Media server … someone an idea how to solve this ?

greetings,

→ Today everything works fine … I first disabled the itunes service then rebooted the HD and twonky was alive …

Let’s hope it stays like this.

Same issue, I’m getting a CNID DB using temp DB message adnn an AFP error when  trying to connect to time machine. 

Also on Lion 10.7.2 and My Book World 01.02.12

I updated to the latest firmware, and while mbw seems to be staying up, and timemachine seems to be backing up to it again, the performance through timemachine is ridiculously slow.  

Anyone else having the same issue?  Work around / suggestions?

Hi I did the firmware upgrade and all went well but I noticed there are some extra files when I look through the harddrive that looks like the following

_EIV6~Q

_VUC69~7

Folder named _PWF6A~D with a folder in this called folders.501 that is empy.

Does anyone know if these cna be deleted?

With Time Machine backups very slow compared to the FW  1.02.06, but was successful.
Now I have difficulty to access the shared folders with the Finder, even if the NAS is on the side bar and log on as usual with the mask to enter your username and password …but spins without going.

I apologize for my bad writing, but I translated with google.

Please give me advice, thanks!

Hi everyone,

If this is the first time that you have backed up using Time Machine in over 7-10 days, Time Machine will cark itself and need to reindex some things. If you have been using your Mac normally, what has been happening during your first few backups is that TM has had to create a very large number of folders/hard links to compensate.

My advice is to turn off Automatic Backups until you go to bed and allow TM to backup over Ethernet during the night. It should be ready in the morning.

-timeimp

This is one sucking update.

Just like saitarion  above, I also had problems with the update the first 5 times. But keep trying - for me it worked the 7th time!

First I tried automatic update 2 times, no luck.

Then I tried manual update 4 times, no luck.

Then I tried automatic update again, and it suddenly worked.

I rebooted the unit between some of the times. Just ONE of the SIX times of failure I got a proper error message from the web interface saying that the update failed. All the other times it looked like the drive went through a successful procedure, something counted to 100% and the web interface gave the impression of a restart/disconnection… but when nothing more happened during some 20 minutes I tried to reconnect with the drive and the web interface told me it’s still on version 1.02.10. Some serious sucking!

What I really can’t understand is… two things:

1. How can a person who doesn’t think it’s important to care about how to treat people, choose to do work for lots and lots of people, in this case through being a programmer?

2. How can a successful, serious(?) company like WDC hire such persons and let their low quality out on the market?

The next step is that our care of ill and elderly people are handled more and more by technology and computer programs. The care of your old mother will be handled mainly by programmers. If today’s low levels will not change dramatically very soon, it will be worse than not taking care at all.

Since the new firmware update is working just fine for some people, I suggest you post some relevent output from your system console or NAS logs instead of just ranting, which helps nobody.

Sorry, but I’m not just ranting - I’m also giving the advice to try again, and I’m describing how the update attempts looked from my perspective since I don’t see the same things described before by other users.

I’m joining “the conversation about all things WD.” This is “one place where you can talk to each other about how you’re using WD products and services. Ask questions, swap ideas, post and read information, opinions, and tips with others”, according to the description of the WD Community forum.

Log files and system consoles isn’t stuff that the community of users of common everyday products should have to deal with all the time. The developers, on the other hand, could deal with them much more.

Edit: quoted wrong post.

Spockdog wrote:

Something wrong with the volume’s CNID DB, using temporary CNID DB instead.Check server messages for details!

A reboot didn’t help.

I’m on Mac OSX Lion 10.7.2; My Book World 1 firmware 01.02.12 with MioNet (loaded manually today)

grrr

Any ideas?

I am investigating this, thanks for the feedback.  I am pretty sure I know what that issue is related too, but I am going to test a few things.  I’ll post back here with an update.

I updated, then did a full system restore as there were no files that i needed on this nas.  Re-set it all up.  Lasted 12 hours and now it has locked up. Can’t ssh, can’t get to web admin BUT can ping it from terminal. why ?

Umpa2011 wrote:

I updated, then did a full system restore as there were no files that i needed on this nas.  Re-set it all up.  Lasted 12 hours and now it has locked up. Can’t ssh, can’t get to web admin BUT can ping it from terminal. why ?

Did you enable SSH access in the web UI previously?  Can you even access the web ui at this point?

I am also having trouble with TM.  I can access my shares on the NAS but TM won’t recognize the backup drive on MyBookWorld.  Pre-Lion, I had two MyBookWorlds mounted in FInder, one for the share folders and one for TM backups.  Now the second one (backup) is gone and TM has nothing available for a backup.  I also had problems accessing Twonky but after several resets, reboots and cycling power on my router, I’ve been able to access Twonky.  As other users have mentioned, I also experienced the CNID DB error.  2 errors to be precise, when I first updated the MBWE firmware.  They have not reappeared.

Mac OS X 10.7.2

MBWE II Firmware - 1.02.12

Spockdog wrote:

A reboot didn’t help.

Hi!

I have the same problem after update :frowning:

UPDATE: after 2nd restart TM connected and it works!  I see that login process takes a lot of time.

My box has been running for 36 hours so far ok. As I said in one off my other post about the previous post is with version before I disabled twonkey and nominet as explained in this forum see below. This cured my original problems

but when I installed 1.02.10 and 12 twonky is up and running and so far all has been ok. YOU TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. Or search though the posts for the one about freezing up I think It is by hurtware. Good luck M

In the web configuration switch to Advanced Mode, then on the System tab using the Advanced button check the SSH Access checkbox on the top of the page, then Submit.
Using Putty or any other SSH client connect to your NAS’s IP address, and log in using “root” as username, and “welc0me” as password!
Now you are inside your NAS.
Type the following on the prompt (this will move/save the startup scripts to the /root/ folder and disable running of mionet and twonky main program and miocrawler it is unnecessary):
mv /etc/init.d/S9M_mionet /root/
mv /etc/init.d/S97twonkyserver /root/
mv /usr/mionet/bin/cvm /root/
mv /usr/mionet/changeNotifySocket /root/
mv /usr/mionet/plugin/miocrawler/miocrawler /root/
then reboot your NAS with
reboot
Disable all other unused services in the web configuration to free up some more RAM and make your NAS more stable.

I am running 1.02.12

morphy wrote:

My box has been running for 36 hours so far ok. As I said in one off my other post about the previous post is with version before I disabled twonkey and nominet as explained in this forum see below. This cured my original problems

but when I installed 1.02.10 and 12 twonky is up and running and so far all has been ok. YOU TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. Or search though the posts for the one about freezing up I think It is by hurtware. Good luck M

In the web configuration switch to Advanced Mode, then on the System tab using the Advanced button check the SSH Access checkbox on the top of the page, then Submit.
Using Putty or any other SSH client connect to your NAS’s IP address, and log in using “root” as username, and “welc0me” as password!
Now you are inside your NAS.
Type the following on the prompt (this will move/save the startup scripts to the /root/ folder and disable running of mionet and twonky main program and miocrawler it is unnecessary):
mv /etc/init.d/S9M_mionet /root/
mv /etc/init.d/S97twonkyserver /root/
mv /usr/mionet/bin/cvm /root/
mv /usr/mionet/changeNotifySocket /root/
mv /usr/mionet/plugin/miocrawler/miocrawler /root/
then reboot your NAS with
reboot
Disable all other unused services in the web configuration to free up some more RAM and make your NAS more stable.

You do realize that .12 is out right?

@krazydan

I am also experiencing EXTREME slowdowns even using Finder. On my MacBook Pro (running Lion) the logon to mount the drive used to take <1 second (pre 1.02.12 update), now it takes 30+ seconds to mount. Open a folder = another minute or longer just to view the directory. Good news is that my login under Lion seems to work, but the drive performance is basically unusable at this point.