New firmware, same problems with mpeg ts

After installing new firmware 1.13.18. I have the same problems playing mpeg ts files recorded with a PVR(personal video recorder), basically this devices only record in files the mpeg transport stream (ts) of the European television standard broadcasting system Dvb-t or Dvb-s . What I can’t understand is why if WD says live tv smp can play mpeg ts and m2ts and these are not supported. I only bought the live tv smp to play these tv programs in mpeg ts that my PVR share via Dlna server and also via network share server.
When I try to play one of this mpeg ts files, I obtain a continuous circling orange arrow on screen or the message “file can’t be played, see the manual.” The same happens playing files from an attached hard disk via USB. But what is incredible is that some times, it works and the file can be played, ( this means that there’s something wrong in the device software) but when you stop this file and try to play again the continuos orange arrow appears or the can’t play message. Then the only way to play these files again is unplugging the power of the device and plugging it again.
Definitely this is un annoying software problem because as I said sometimes it plays mpeg ts correctly and it has no problem if the mpeg ts is and sd or HDTV broadcasting, it plats it perfectly.
Please Western Digital! Solve this!!
This is not a little problem, it affects to all the files recorded from the television standard all over Europe and a lot of countries more.
Thank you in advance.

My PVR recordings made with SageTV and the Hauppauge HD PVR 1212 work perfectly on the WD TV smp, so I don’t think you can make the generalization to say these file formats are not supported. My files are h264 with a .ts file extension. 

Goldcity10 wrote:
What I can’t understand is why if WD says live tv smp can play mpeg ts and m2ts and these are not supported.

Cause they generally are. I can play back my recordings from an Hauppauge USB stick as well as my old Technisat Skystar 2. Maybe your PVR is doing something fishy and you’d need to remux first with ProjectX or something. Just upload a demo clip to mediafire.

Ok thank you for your comments. This afternoon I will do some brief recordings with my two PVR of SD tv channels and HD tv channels, and I will upload it  to mediafire. I will post also the mediainfo report of these ts files.

My 2 PVR´s have dlna servers and network share servers and for example I can play it perfectly from my PC with VLC (videolan)  or from my iphone or ipad with a mediaplayer app that supports upnp/dlna or network share servers.

As  I said in my first post with the wd live tv smp sometimes these ts files can be played, but not the most part of times, even attaching a hard disk directly to the device usb. And when you can play it and you stop and try to play another file you obtain the error “file not supported” and must unplug the power in order the device could play it again.

I have just recorded four demo clips ( 2 in SD and 2 in HD) with the PVR and I have uploaded finally to dropbox, the links of the 4 ts files are as follows:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/57lrplscl1pqnzc/SD%20PVR%20clip%201.ts

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d6rdu4vtfyz9bdw/SD%20PVR%20clip%202.ts

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gge6odzy3n8m06k/HD%20PVR%20clip%201.ts

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1nq4rjtfktfnl3/HD%20PVR%20clip%202.ts

I must say that I have checked and none of these 4 files can be played in my wd live tv smp. I tried via dlna server and network share server from the Pvr itself, from a PC, from a lacie NAS,  from the dlna server of my router Cisco, nothing. I’m going crazy. I have also connected  a pendrive to the device USB and also nothing. Then I tried to unplug the power disconnecting the power cord and plugging again and also nothing playable. Then I have reset the device by firmware menu and after reconfiguring none of the 4 archives can be played. At the end I reseted the device by hardware and miracle I played 3 of the 4 files via dlna from the PVR after playing the 3rd, trying to play the 4rth I obtained “file not supported” message. Via USb nothing again.

One more thing, when the file is going to play correctly, the information of the the time lenght is shown on screen, and after 2 or 3 seconds, it plays and you can fast forward and rewind without any problem. I know that the file will not play when the time lenght of the file is shown as 0:00:00.

Anyone out there that could try my demo clips in your device. Thanks in advance!!

I’ve tried your files and NONE worked which is weird cause comparing the Mediainfo output of your files to the output of my files that do work on 1.13.18, I don’t see any releveant difference (though I’m admittedly not familiar with the container/codec). That said, I managed to play back your files by remuxing them with ProjectX (SD) and MKVToolnix (HD). The HD files would not open in ProjectX so I had to resort to remuxing to MKV.

I still think, there’s something fishy about how your PVR writes the files (or the SMP is too picky about specs). You could try remuxing them and compare Mediainfo outputs afterwards, maybe you spot something I missed.

@Goldcity10

For what it’s worth … i tried these on my WDTV Live Hub and None of them Play.

Remuxed them with mkvmerge … and they played perfectly. (in mkv container)

One Difference between your Unplayable *.ts and the Playable *.mkv …

The *.ts Stream has “Menu” Information (a TON of it … lots and lots of text info … which probably exceeds a maximum info char length … had to truncate some of the mediainfo below as the forum does not support more the 20,000 char’s)

… after remuxing with mkvmerge to *.mkv … mkvmerge strips and removes “Menu” information.

Here’s a “working” repack of one of your clips …

http://www.fileden.com/files/2011/7/14/3167489/HD%20PVR%20clip%201.mkv

This is Media Info Output of the mkvmerge created file from your original file …

General
Unique ID                                : 244619261290480642102653214801598987575 (0xB807F4BE5670E89A97221401A26DBD37)
Complete name                            : S:\7-75365\HD PVR clip 1.mkv
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 2
File size                                : 93.2 MiB
Duration                                 : 1mn 0s
Overall bit rate                         : 13.0 Mbps
Encoded date                             : UTC 2013-01-29 13:13:57
Writing application                      : mkvmerge v5.3.0 (‘I could have danced’) built on Feb  9 2012 10:38:07
Writing library                          : libebml v1.2.3 + libmatroska v1.3.0

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 4 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                                 : 12.4 Mbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 25.000 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : MBAFF
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.240
Stream size                              : 89.1 MiB (96%)
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
Color primaries                          : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio #1
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : E-AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Codec ID                                 : A_EAC3
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 128 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Delay relative to video                  : -592ms
Stream size                              : 939 KiB (1%)
Language                                 : Catalan
Default                                  : Yes

Audio #2
ID                                       : 3
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)
Codec ID                                 : A_AC3
Bit rate                                 : 96.0 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 1 channel
Channel positions                        : Front: C
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Delay relative to video                  : -370ms
Stream size                              : 704 KiB (1%)
Default                                  : No

Audio #3
ID                                       : 4
Format                                   : MPEG Audio
Format version                           : Version 1
Format profile                           : Layer 2
Codec ID                                 : A_MPEG/L2
Codec ID/Hint                            : MP2
Bit rate                                 : 96.0 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 1 channel
Delay relative to video                  : -569ms
Stream size                              : 704 KiB (1%)
Default                                  : No

THIS IS YOUR ORIGINAL *.ts FILE  (truncated due to message lenght restriction of 20.000 char.)

Menu
ID                                       : 190 (0xBE)
Menu ID                                  : 813 (0x32D)
Duration                                 : 59s 29ms
List                                     : 191 (0xBF) (AVC) / 192 (0xC0) (E-AC-3, Catalan) / 194 (0xC2) (AC-3, v.o) / 196 (0xC4) (MPEG Audio, a.d) / 805 (0x325) (DVB Subtitle, Catalan)
Language                                 :  / Catalan / v.o / a.d / Catalan
Service name                             : TV3HD
Service provider                         : TVC
Service type                             : advanced codec HD digital television
UTC 2013-01-28 01:53:42                  : ca:Comedy Inc. / ca:Els gags d’aquesta producció australiana barregen un humor agut, ràpid i irreverent, i parodien pel·lícules, sèries, programes de televisió, videoclips i anuncis publicitaris. / entertainment programmes for 10 to 16 /  / 00:23:14 /
UTC 2013-01-28 02:16:56                  : ca:Ritmes & Blues a l’estudi - ZAYAS / ca:Avui entra a l’estudi Zayas o el que abans era Alex TNT. El guitarrista barceloní ens presenta en la pròxima hora de música el seu repertori, on torna a les arrels del blues. / music/ballet/dance /  / 01:00:00 /
UTC 2013-01-28 03:16:56                  : ca:Ritmes & Blues a l’estudi - VERMOUTH TIME / ca:Aquest quintet és una formació dedicada al soul-jazz, aquesta barreja de ritme i harmonia tan característica de la dècada dels anys 60. / music/ballet/dance /  / 01:00:01 /
UTC 2013-01-28 04:16:57                  : ca:Jazz a l’estudi - Hat / ca:Veure el quartet Hat és una autèntica experiencia sensorial; una barreja de Jazz modern, amb elements de rock, d’avantguarda i, fins i tot, de pop on tots els membres participen col. / jazz /  / 00:39:37 /
UTC 2013-01-28 04:56:34                  : ca:Videoclips catalans - UN TAL PERE, Què bonica estàs / ca:Sense Descripció. / music/ballet/dance /  / 00:03:26 /
UTC 2013-01-28 05:00:00                  : ca:Notícies 3/24 / ca:Sense Descripció. / news magazine /  / 02:00:00 /
UTC 2013-01-28 07:00:00                  : ca:Els Matins / ca:ENTREVISTA /  DÚPLEX PALAU DE LA GENERALITAT /  Felip PUIG, conseller d’Empresa i Ocupació / TERTÚLIA /  Manuel MILIÁN /  Vicent SANCHIS /  Anna SALLÉS /  Núria RIBÓ  / + Marcel MAURI, professor d’Ètica de la UPF / news magazine /  / 06:00:00
UTC 2013-01-28 13:00:00                  : ca:Telenotícies comarques / ca:Sense Descripció. / news magazine /  / 00:21:10 /
UTC 2013-01-28 13:21:10                  : ca:El medi ambient - Estudiar la fauna del Senegal / ca:Una estudiant de Biologia de Reus ha passat un mes al Senegal, a la reserva natural de Bandia. / documentary /  / 00:08:50 /
UTC 2013-01-28 13:30:00                  : ca:Telenotícies migdia / ca:Sense Descripció. / news magazine /  / 01:08:56 /
UTC 2013-01-28 14:38:56                  : ca:Cuines - Peixet fregit amb carxofes i pols d’olives negres / ca:Restaurant Abac / Av. Tibidabo, 1 / Barcelona / Dificultat: fàcil / Temps d’elaboració:  / Producte principal: peixet/carxofes / Temporada: hivern / education/science/factual topics /  / 00:08:18
UTC 2013-01-28 14:47:14                  : ca:La Riera / ca:La Mireia ja sap qui és la seva mare biològica i que té una germana. Ara ha de decidir què vol fer. Mentrestant, la Lali i en Joan estan condicionats per les exigències de l’Aurora. La Iolanda fa una proposta una mica sospitosa a en Nil. / soap/melodrama/folkloric /  / 00:40:27 /
UTC 2013-01-28 14:49:00                  : ca:La Riera / ca:La Mireia ja sap qui és la seva mare biològica i que té una germana. Ara ha de decidir què vol fer. Mentrestant, la Lali i en Joan estan condicionats per les exigències de l’Aurora. La Iolanda fa una proposta una mica sospitosa a en Nil. / soap/melodrama/folkloric /  / 00:40:00 / Running
UTC 2013-01-28 15:27:41                  : ca:Divendres / ca:La taula de dilluns: Analitzarem l’actualitat del dia amb una taula formada per Sebastià Serrano, Núria Ferré, Pere Escobar, Carles Capdevila i Tian Riba. / show/game show /  / 01:52:18 /
UTC 2013-01-28 15:29:00                  : ca:Divendres / ca:La taula de dilluns: Analitzarem l’actualitat del dia amb una taula formada per Sebastià Serrano, Núria Ferré, Pere Escobar, Carles Capdevila i Tian Riba. / show/game show /  / 01:51:44 / Not running
UTC 2013-01-28 17:19:59                  : ca:Joséphine - El color de l’amor / ca:‘Joséphine’ és una sèrie de producció francesa, suïssa i belga protagonitzada per Mimie Mathy i guardonada amb el Premi del Públic a la millor sèrie de l’any 2007/2008… / comedy /  / 01:39:15 /
UTC 2013-01-30 15:30:00                  : ca:Divendres / ca:Farem el repàs de l’actualitat amb l’equip integrat pel jutge Santiago Vidal i els periodistes Màrius Carol, Sílvia Soler, Manel Cuyàs i Núria Coll. / show/game show /  / 01:40:00 /
UTC 2013-01-30 17:10:00                  : ca:Joséphine - Un passat per arreglar el futur / ca:‘Joséphine’ és una sèrie de producció francesa, suïssa i belga protagonitzada per Mimie Mathy i guardonada amb el Premi del Públic a la millor sèrie de l’any 2007/2008… / comedy /  / 01:47:00 /
UTC 2013-01-30 18:57:00                  : ca:Espai Terra - Espai Terra - dimecres 30 de gener / ca:Aquests últims dies ha nevat -i molt- a tota la zona pirinenca. / news magazine /  / 00:23:00 /
UTC 2013-01-30 19:20:00                  : ca:El Gran Dictat / ca:‘El gran dictat’, un concurs presentat per Òscar Dalmau, que s’emetrà dissabtes i diumenges, a les 20.20. El protagonista, el català actual, el que es parla al carrer. / game show/quiz/contest /  / 00:40:00 /
UTC 2013-01-30 20:00:00                  : ca:Telenotícies vespre / ca:Sense Descripció. / news magazine /  / 00:50:00 /
UTC 2013-01-30 20:50:00                  : ca:Alguna pregunta més / ca:Sense Descripció. / show/game show /  / 00:55:00 /
UTC 2013-01-30 21:45:00                  : ca:Hat trick Barça - Hat trick Barça: el clàssic / ca:Televisió de Catalunya enceta un programa que en realitat seran tres per analitzar en detall el cap de setmana futbolístic. / sports magazines /  / 01:10:00 /
UTC 2013-01-30 22:55:00                  : ca:Valor afegit / ca:‘Valor afegit’ torna una altra temporada al 33, amb la intenció de continuar la tasca de difondre i divulgar el món de l’economia, a través d’un llenguatge que el faci comprensible a la majoria dels ciutadans, que són, en definitiva… / news magazine /  / 00:33:00 /
UTC 2013-01-30 23:28:00                  : ca:Pel·lícula - Silenci des del mal / ca:DEAD SILENCE (Silenci des del mal) / film/cinema /  / 01:27:00 /

Oh, and mkvmerge is a simple “drag’n’drop”   (Download MKVTOOLNIXfor the full package)

I doubt the extra info is the reason cause my DVB-T file also has lots of it and plays back just fine:

General
ID                                       : 6144 (0x1800)
Complete name                            : E:\PVR.DVB-T.ts
Format                                   : MPEG-TS
File size                                : 22.9 MiB
Duration                                 : 1mn 1s
Start time                               : UTC 2013-01-29 09:59:09
End time                                 : UTC 2013-01-29 10:00:09
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 3 110 Kbps
Network name                             : ARD NRW
Original network name                    : German Digital Terrestrial Television
Country                                  : DEU
Timezone                                 : +01:00:00

Video
ID                                       : 4401 (0x1131)
Menu ID                                  : 3 (0x3)
Format                                   : MPEG Video
Format version                           : Version 2
Format profile                           : Main@Main
Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes
Format settings, Matrix                  : Custom
Format settings, GOP                     : M=3, N=12
Codec ID                                 : 2
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 2 633 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                         : 7 000 Kbps
Width                                    : 704 pixels
Height                                   : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 25.000 fps
Standard                                 : PAL
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan order                               : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.260
Stream size                              : 19.2 MiB (84%)

Audio #1
ID                                       : 4402 (0x1132)
Codec ID                                 : 4
Bit rate                                 : 192 Kbps
Delay relative to video                  : -29ms
Stream size                              : 1.41 MiB (6%)
Language                                 : German

Audio #2
ID                                       : 4403 (0x1133)
Mode                                     : Joint stereo
Codec ID                                 : 4
Bit rate                                 : 128 Kbps
Delay relative to video                  : -42ms
Stream size                              : 964 KiB (4%)
Language                                 : Multiple languages

Text
ID                                       : 4404 (0x1134)-100
Format                                   : Teletext
Language                                 : German

Menu
ID                                       : 4400 (0x1130)
List                                     : 4401 (0x1131) (MPEG Video) / 4402 (0x1132) (MPEG Audio, German) / 4403 (0x1133) (MPEG Audio, Multiple languages) / 4404 (0x1134) () / 570 (0x23A) () / 2172 (0x87C) ()
Language                                 :  / German / Multiple languages
Service name                             : PHOENIX
Service provider                         : ARD
Service type                             : digital television
UTC 2013-01-29 03:30:00                  : de:Das Winterwunderland / de:Geschichten rund ums Sella-Massiv - THEMA: Bergwelten / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:15:00 /
UTC 2013-01-29 03:45:00                  : de:Das Reich der Einsamkeit / de:Im Herzen der Hohen Tatra - THEMA: Bergwelten / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:30:00 /
UTC 2013-01-29 04:15:00                  : de:Wohnungen der Götter / de:Eine Reise zum heiligen Berg Kailash mit Reinhold Messner / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:45:00 /
UTC 2013-01-29 05:00:00                  : de:Wohnungen der Götter / de:Eine Reise zum Berg der kalten Sonne mit Reinhold Messner / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:45:00 /
UTC 2013-01-29 05:45:00                  : de:Wohnungen der Götter / de:Eine Reise zum heiligen Berg der Indianer mit Reinhold Messner / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:45:00 /
UTC 2013-01-29 10:00:00                  : de:VOR ORT: Aktuelles / de:Moderation: Stephan Kulle / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 01:00:00 / Running
UTC 2013-01-29 11:00:00                  : de:THEMA: Mali - Aufstand der Tuareg / de:Aktuelles, Gespräche, Dokumentationen - Moderation: Klaus Weidmann / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 01:15:00 / Not running
UTC 2013-01-30 12:30:00                  : de:Alte Traditionen - neue Herausforderungen / de:Unterwegs in Südostasien / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 01:00:00 /
UTC 2013-01-30 13:30:00                  : de:VOR ORT: Aktuelles / de:Mi, 30.01.13, 14.30 - 15.15 Uhr / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:45:00 /
UTC 2013-01-30 14:15:00                  : de:Gott hat hohe Nebenkosten / de:Wer wirklich für die Kirche zahlt / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:45:00 /
UTC 2013-02-04 03:00:00                  : de:Der Knochenjäger / de:Der Wächter von Bamburgh Castle / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:45:00 /
UTC 2013-02-04 03:45:00                  : de:Peru - Von Goldgräbern und Wunderheilern / de: / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:30:00 /
UTC 2013-02-04 04:15:00                  : de:Magische Welten / de:Amazonas - Spur des roten Goldes / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:45:00 /
UTC 2013-02-04 05:00:00                  : de:Magische Orte - Mexiko / de:Die rätselhafte Welt der Maya / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:45:00 /
UTC 2013-02-04 05:45:00                  : de:Magische Orte - Island / de:Im Bann der Naturgewalten / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:45:00 /
UTC 2013-02-05 10:00:00                  : de:VOR ORT: Aktuelles / de:Di, 05.02.13, 11.00 - 12.00 Uhr / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 01:00:00 /
UTC 2013-02-05 11:00:00                  : de:THEMA / de: / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 01:15:00 /
UTC 2013-02-08 12:15:00                  : de:Heil Hitler und Alaaf! / de:Karneval in der NS-Zeit / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:45:00 /
UTC 2013-02-08 13:00:00                  : de:VOR ORT: Aktuelles / de:Fr, 08.02.13, 14.00 - 15.15 Uhr / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 01:15:00 /
UTC 2013-02-08 14:15:00                  : de:Cholitas, Anden und Raketen / de:Heldengeschichten aus Südamerika / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:45:00 /
UTC 2013-02-11 12:30:00                  : de:Brennpunkt Hattusa / de: / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:45:00 /
UTC 2013-02-11 13:15:00                  : de:Schätze der Welt - Erbe der Menschheit / de: / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:30:00 /
UTC 2013-02-11 13:45:00                  : de:Rom / de:Cäsars Spiel um die Macht / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:45:00 /
UTC 2013-02-11 14:30:00                  : de:Rom / de:Neros Wahn / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:45:00 /
UTC 2013-02-11 21:30:00                  : de:ZDF-History: Die sieben Weltwunder / de: / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:45:00 /
UTC 2013-02-11 22:15:00                  : de:Der Parthenon / de: / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:45:00 /
UTC 2013-02-11 23:00:00                  : de:THEMENTAG: Liebe Macht Politik / de: / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:30:00 /
UTC 2013-02-11 23:30:00                  : de:Skandale der Antike / de: / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:45:00 /
UTC 2013-02-13 03:30:00                  : de:HISTORISCHE EREIGNISSE / de: / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 03:00:00 /
UTC 2013-02-20 21:15:00                  : de:PHOENIX-Runde / de: / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:45:00 /
UTC 2013-02-20 22:00:00                  : de:DER TAG / de: / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 01:00:00 /
UTC 2013-02-20 23:00:00                  : de:PHOENIX-Runde / de: / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:45:00 /
UTC 2013-02-20 23:45:00                  : de:Die Geschichte der Nordsee / de: / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:45:00 /
UTC 2013-02-21 00:30:00                  : de:Missbraucht und misshandelt / de: / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:45:00 /
UTC 2013-02-21 01:15:00                  : de:DOKUMENTATION / de: / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 05:00:00 /
UTC 2013-02-21 21:15:00                  : de:PHOENIX-Runde / de: / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:45:00 /
UTC 2013-02-21 22:00:00                  : de:DER TAG / de: / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 01:00:00 /
UTC 2013-02-21 23:00:00                  : de:PHOENIX-Runde / de: / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:45:00 /
UTC 2013-02-21 23:45:00                  : de:Der Geheimcode von Stonehenge / de: / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 00:45:00 /
UTC 2013-02-24 13:00:00                  : de:HISTORISCHE EREIGNISSE / de: / magazines/reports/documentary /  / 03:00:00 /

First of all, thank you Techflaws and Joeysmyth for your efforts.

I have checked Joeysmyth repacked file and it plays perfectly in my wd live tv smp.

My impression with this issue is that the files of my PVR could be played perfectly in the wd live tv smp, but there’s a software bug that makes them unplayable.

Maybe as Joeysmyth says can be caused by the text inserted in the ts file (I can’t also see more differences in mediainfo information).

Let me say that this text included in the television broadcast transport stream is the information of the EPG (electronic program guide) of the tv channel.

Maybe my PVR receive and record all the information in the transport stream (ts) from the tv station and other PVR’s only record the video and audio information. But if really is caused by this, I think that this could be solved with a minor software change in the firmware. Why I’m thinking that is because sometimes, some few times, my live tv played these ts files perfectly, and as I said in another post, all my other devices: PC, iphone, ipad can play these files directly from the pvr dlna server without problems.

For me is a must that the live tv plays these files without having to repack them, because as the origin of the files is a PVR, I have tons of tv programs (films, series, i.e) recorded and I record more every day.

I have also posted this mpeg-ts problem in the issue reporting forum. Let’s see if Wd can solve it.

Mkvmerge only takes a few minutes to redo the file, if that.

Techflaws, seeing the mediainfo information of your file I also doubt about the extra info being the cause of the problem.

Well this is incredible but I have tried to play joeysmyth repacked file again and now I obtain the “not supported” message. I have also repacked some of my files with mkvmerge and they can´t be played

I tried to play a different origin mkv file (not from a ts file recorded by the PVR and repacked with mkvmerge) and it plays perfectly.

I don’t know what to say and what more to do. Any ideas?

Anyone can play Joeysmyth repacked mkv file?

After restoring my live tv smp to factory defaults It can play the mkv from joeysmyth and also all my ts files repacked with mkvmerge.

I tried again to play the ts files directly and as you can imagine they don’t play.

I have seen that sometimes when you try to play some mpeg-ts files, the device blocks and don’t play nothing, nor the ts files nor anything else, you only obtain "not supported " message all the time.

That’s a common problem. When the player encounters what it considers a bad file then it refuses to play any file even its OK.

Goldcity10 wrote:

I have also posted this mpeg-ts problem in the issue reporting forum. Let’s see if Wd can solve it.

I must have missed this, URL?

You can find it, in the following link:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/Mpeg-ts-files-can-t-be-played/idi-p/536015

Could some user upload a demo ts file, recorded with his PVR, in this way I could try your ts file in my Wd live tv smp and also I will try to find any difference with the ts files recorded by my PVR. Thank you in advance

Here are two clips  not recorded with a standalone PVR but with a

Hauppauge DVB stick

Skystar2.

Both run fine on the LIVE.

Thank you Techflaws for your uploaded files. Yes both run fine also in my device. I will try to find what is the difference between your ts files and my ts files.