New Firmware Release - Firmware Version 2.02.19 for WD TV Live Hub Media Center (12/1/10)

If I pause if for a few minutes, I have no problem.  But for around 15 minutes, I see the problem.    If you try it on pause for 15 miinutes and have no problem then I must have something else configured wrong.  In any case, it seems strange to me that anything could cause it to get in such a bad state that it needs a power cycle.

Yeah, I agree with you.   SOmeone else just posted the same issue a while ago;  I don’t think I need to test it since it’s already confirmed.  

I’ve dug into this a bit more.  I returned the WD Live Hub for a WD Media player, one without the internal hard drive.  Guess what, same problem.  So this is not a Live Hub problem.  Further, I read in the documentation for the Sony media player that you have to stop the movie (Netflix) if you are going away for more than 30 minutes.  They mention the need to power cycle the player if it freezes. 

I then noticed the following.  If I leave the WD Media player on paused at a movie for a half hour or more and return to restart it there is no problem.  However, if I use my TV controller to switch away to another HDMI channel, say to watch the news or something while I am waiting for another family member to come back, and then return to the WD box, it either freezes or the sound goes out of sync with the video.  When I switch HDMI channels, there is always a problem when I come back no matter how quickly I switch.  So it looks like the problem could actually be that the WD box does not resync properly with the Netflix server if the HDMI connection is closed and reopened.  Or something like that.  Could the problem be within the HDMI protocol itself so that any player will currently have this problem?  Is there anything that WD could do about this?  In the meantime, I will live with the WD player by simply stopping the movie rather than pausing it if I am going to switch HDMI channels.   I may even return the Live Player and get the Live Hub back as I like the internal hard drive.

Can anyone else confirm this behavior?

That’s good information.   My guess is that the WD needs additional “traps,” because when Netflix is streaming, HDCP (Copy Protection) is enforced.   If you unplug the HDMI interface, that breaks the HDCP protocol (given that you might be trying to switch inputs to something that can record) so the stream is going to be stopped.

WD may have just not tested that scenario.

I have a couple of issues w/ the live hub.

I get very frequent noise flicker seen and heard while trying to stream any netflix.

I also get a “drop” in video and sound on occasion when playing back .iso format from internal drive.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I had returned the first one due to netflix noise flicker.  However, this box does it as well, probably worse than the first.

Curious to know if any one else is noticing this.

Hi.

I also have the startup-splash-shutdown-hdmi-disconnect-reset-composite-retry-shutdown-cannot-get-it-to-work-now-but-it-was-working-a-few-days-ago-before-the-firmware-update problem or whatever problem it is called.

It seems that the only thing left to try is a firmware downgrade.  Can you teach me how to do just that in a separate thread?  Thanks and regards.

Try “Reset Device Configuration” first.

Hey fellas.

OK.

So I have got a brand new WD TV Live Hub sitting in its box, which I am not allowed to play with until Christmas Day. :cry:

The burning question is, when I finally connect it up and unleash it on my unsuspecting home network, do I update the firmware to the latest version or not? From what I have read on this thread, I am just not sure what to do.

Any thoughts / advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers.

Al

I’m still running the original out of the box firmware and everything is running fine. I’m not updating the firmware until I run into a roadblock or something. I suggest you plug in, setup your player and your connections, and see how it works for you. If you notice anything wrong, then perhaps you may need to update the firmware.

Yeah, thats pretty much what I was thinking, but good to get someone else’s take on things.

Do NOT update the firmware.  Mine was running perfectly, then one day a couple of weeks ago I turned it on and it prompted me to update.  I did it, not even thinking that it could be bad.  It freezes 5 minutes after starting it up everytime now.  I have to spend some time with it to fall back to the old version…just haven’t had time until tonight.  I’ll let you know how it goes.

Tallboy25

Thanks Tallboy.

Appreciate that.

I have bought a WDTV Live Hub this week,

After first tests, I have updated it to the last firmware version. I still find that firmware has too much bugs.

But the last rare thing I have found is that when I switch off the Live Hub  ( in the remote control or in the power button ) the fan still running

Please, anyone can confirm that.

Thanks in advance

Kingston wrote:

I have bought a WDTV Live Hub this week,

After first tests, I have updated it to the last firmware version. I still find that firmware has too much bugs.

But the last rare thing I have found is that when I switch off the Live Hub  ( in the remote control or in the power button ) the fan still running

Please, anyone can confirm that.

Thanks in advance

If you press the off button on the remote for about 3 to 5 seconds the hub will be completely powered off.

A short push will turn off the unit to the TV but allow access to the hard disc for use as a simple NAS.