New Firmware - anything at all interesting?

Except for the new sound output - are there any new features at all in the new FW ?? There are a zillion great ideas in the ideas section - none implemented as far as I can tell ??

Can this be? Or are there a bunch of improvement I’ve missed ?

If there are a bunch of improvements you missed, I guess that means I’ve missed them too. Doesn’t look like much to get excited about.

The Tune-In Radio App is the only real new thing in the firmware, well ok the 7.1 pass through as well…if you use 7.1 that is…

But the rest seems to be bug fixes !! Personally the bug fix i wanted (Metadata to show for folders again) wasn’t included.

However i don’t want to sound negative…lets hope for more updates from WD just kinda a little dissapointing they released this straight to official so quick and didnt add anything more…

Deezer and Flingo are new to the Hub as well, so 3 new media services in total. The revised audio code is a big step in the right direction (there are some undocumented fixes, not just 7.1), so to me this was a pretty solid update. Not sure how much more you could hope for from a single update.

^ Not much more you could ask for?!??

How about that Hulu integration? :stuck_out_tongue: (I’m personally waiting on that beast to release!)

Not a bad update but I really don’t care for flingo much. seems to just show short clips of stuff. :confused:

If they fixed a number of major issues with the audio I can’t really complain

PixelPower wrote:
Deezer and Flingo are new to the Hub as well…

What is Flingo anyway ?? Similar to MediaFly? 

Unfortuantely the Biggest bug in the software, the network sharing ability with a windows Network is still unstable.

NO **bleep** HULU + yet so no, they need to come on with that [deleted]

The only thing I noticed is cover-art for the movie 9/11 doesn’t panic reboot the box now. I was not impressed for the length of time since the last update. I wanted the “The” sorting issue fixed, and I expected it to play some of the titles it previously puked on. The 2 I tested are still messed up (but work fine on cheap Seagate FAT+ from the same NAS).

hearing alot of negatives on the new firmware, is an upgrade recommended or to be avoided?

thanks

Hi HomerJ,

Personally i think there is no reason not to upgrade !!

I didn’t come across any major problems, and you will get a few extra services like the Tune-In, Deezer & Flingo…

As noted Flingo is not as interesting as it first looks as it only has clips which is fairly useless…NOW if they added full episodes it really would be something to talk about. Whilst Tune-In and Deezer are excellent and well worth the upgrade…

Just dont expect any major improvements or bug fixes with the actual player.

extremedigital wrote:

Hi HomerJ,

… dont expect any major improvements or bug fixes with the actual player.

New Features:

… Much better audio handling capabilities:  User can now configure which audio formats their receiver supports so the hub knows how to handle the unsupported types.

… Better handling of user-provided Metadata (Now shows the TITLE in the Gallery View.)   Yes, it needs further improvement, but it is moving forward, at least.

extremedigital wrote:

Hi HomerJ,

Personally i think there is no reason not to upgrade !!

I didn’t come across any major problems, and you will get a few extra services like the Tune-In, Deezer & Flingo…

As noted Flingo is not as interesting as it first looks as it only has clips which is fairly useless…NOW if they added full episodes it really would be something to talk about. Whilst Tune-In and Deezer are excellent and well worth the upgrade…

Just dont expect any major improvements or bug fixes with the actual player.

You can always fling shows and films from youtube to your hub using flingo.

Hi richUK and Tony,

Yeah you are both right the new firmware is a step forward just not as big as some people would have hoped for.

However i def appreciate the changes esp the Tune-In app.

Originally i got very excited about Flingo, but in all honesty i can do alot more using PlayOn to stream media or Twonkybeam to send media from my browser to the Hub or Live players…

Saying that Flingo shows the potential of what really could be done and IF they added full shows, WOW that would be something to talk about, in fact it would stand up against boxee feeds anyday

Before this firmware update the hub wouldn’t play DDTrueHD audio tracks, now it does. How can this be credited to the new update?