New firmware (4.01.04.42​​2) outputting unsupported frames during video playback

Basically the title says it all, after an automatic update to the latest firmware most (all?) of my MP4 vidoes are being decoded with frames that my TV says are of an “incompatible format”. 

These frames are in consistant places within an indiviual MP4, there can be one 1 frame in a whole movie, or several frames within a minute or two.

When a bad frame is displayed the screen locks up for about 5 seconds and the movie restarts a random number of seconds forward from where the error ocurred.

Any ideas on what was broken in the latest update, and when a fix will be available - because its made video playback too annoying to use :frowning:

cemsen wrote:

Basically the title says it all, after an automatic update to the latest firmware most (all?) of my MP4 vidoes are being decoded with frames that my TV says are of an “incompatible format”. 

These frames are in consistant places within an indiviual MP4, there can be one 1 frame in a whole movie, or several frames within a minute or two.

When a bad frame is displayed the screen locks up for about 5 seconds and the movie restarts a random number of seconds forward from where the error ocurred.

Any ideas on what was broken in the latest update, and when a fix will be available - because its made video playback too annoying to use :frowning:

• *> * * *
      cemsen wrote:

Well, since the Cloud doesn’t output “Frames” at all, that’s a good question.   Twonky doesn’t transcode, so it’s just sending the file “as is” to your decoder.

Have you tried reencoding the video file and playing it back again to see if it really was the WD My Cloud firmware update that is causing the error on playback? Its possible the video file itself may have encoding errors and because of the WD My Cloud firmware update the DLNA client is now generating errors on the video file. Reencoding the video with software like  Handbrake or similar is one way to trouble shoot and isolate the problem.

I have tried several  videos that were clean under the previous version of firmware - now these too have blank frames…

The source MP4s haven’t changed so I must conclude something has changed in the firmware that is messing up playback.

cemsen wrote:

I have tried several  videos that were clean under the previous version of firmware - now these too have blank frames…

The source MP4s haven’t changed so I must conclude something has changed in the firmware that is messing up playback.

Its possible the previous firmware was (somehow) ignoring the possible errors in the MP4 video file. Reencoding the file is simply one step in the trouble shooting process to determin where the fault may lie and to rule in or out the MP4 file as being the culprit.

I’m also doubtful that the firmware upgrade will have changed the ability to stream video.

I might check to see if the version of Twonky has been updated from 7.2.9, but, again, I’m not sure that Twonky is actually involved in deconstructing media files such that it might insert illegal frames; as far as I’m aware, it’s merely a transport protocol to allows the bytes of the file to be passed around a local network in a dumb manner, without any interpretation of the content.

If there is a later version of Twonky in the latest firmware, then I suppose it’s possible that some error has been introduced into the file-to-packet stuffing logic. However, the latest versions of Twonky available from PacketVideo are now into the v8.0.x, so I’m not sure I’d expect a faulty version to have been inserted into the MyCloud firmware.

I don’t think MyCloud Twonky includes any format transcoding, simply because the MyCloud processor doesn’t have the guts to support the processing load required for that task.

One possibility that a firmware upgrade might have affected is the raw data transfer rate; if the performance of the file handling and ethernet driver have been degraded (or if the processor is now busy doing other stuff), it may not be able to support the required streaming data rate, and you may be losing frames. Any significant increase in the loading of your network or WiFi environment might also cause this problem.

If the TV supports it, I’d try accessing the media library via a simple network file server, rather than via the Twonky DLNA media server. This might identify if the problem is with Twonky, or with some other element of your system (local netowrk & MyCloud).

I might also check that my TV (or other media renderer) hasn’t coincidentally had a firmware upgrade…