New Drive Not Rebuilding Only Sits There Showing 3 Drives

I’m having a similar issue as an old post (New drive not rebuilding only sits there showing 3 drives), but it looks like he had a bad drive and resolved by replacing it. I may have the same situation, but I’d like to make sure I’m not missing something obvious.

I have a DX4000 (model WDBLGT0080KBK-00) with 2x2TB drives, both WD2002FYPS-02W3B0. I just added a third drive into bay 3, also WD2002FYPS-02W3B0.

However, the LCD display doesn’t change and nothing happens. My capacity doesn’t increase and no rebuild or anything. The dashboard still shows RAID 1, Drive 1 “Normal”, Drive 2 “Normal” and Drive 3 “New Drive” (“A new drive has been inserted.”). I tried the other slot and same thing.

Anything I’m missing? Anything I can try? Thanks for any thoughts.

Gramps will probably be able to answer this better, but when I had the issue, WD kept sending me drives until one actually worked. For some reason, you need to make sure that drive is compatible with your system. But if you look under compatible drive, you will see a list of good drives available.
Bob

yea, I dunno. My box is offline right now so I cant look. But as Bob says my guess is the drives are not on the list that Bob mentions.

So I think I would hunt that whitelist.xml and edit/add the drive numbers/firmware/model whatever we call it.

Not rebuild the box, just get them on the list so it can do it’s magic/migration

Thanks so much for the responses. I double checked, and the new drive I tried (WD2002FYPS-02W3B0) is definitely on the compatible drives list on my dashboard. I guess I’ll return it and start trying others until one works. I appreciate the help.

I looked online and the drive # you list looks fine. Shut box down, turn on with just the 2 drives . Make sure the date is correct and add the 3rd drive.

Just curious, where are you getting these drives? Could they be fake/counterfeit?

I wuda never thought, but I took a WD academy test on counterfeit drives.

“Made in China”

WD only makes internal hard drives in Thailand and Malaysia.

Counterfeit labels look torn, don’t fit the hard drive well, are crooked, or have poor quality printing. Also, look for adhesive on the drive cover, which could mean an old label was peeled off.

Spelling mistakes

Spelling mistakes on the labels or packaging. For example: “lable”, “warranmty”, “warratny”, “warranty”, or “paterts” (or other misspellings of “Patents”)

Out of line pricing

If the price is too good to be true, the product could be fake. (or if you found them and no one else can )

No anti-static bag

Drives sold without an anti-static bag and desiccant (silica gel pack) should be marketed as used. They may also be counterfeit, but they are definitely not prime drives. Some counterfeit drives are sold in ESD bags with “Made in China” stickers on them.

I’ll give that a try. I got it from a marketplace seller through Newegg. It’s certainly possible that it’s counterfeit. The label and drive look identical to my original drives, no spelling errors or mistakes that I notice, and it came in an anti-static bag. Of course that doesn’t prove it’s authentic.

I’ll try your suggestion and/or see if a replacement drive from the seller fixes things. Thank you.

Can you send me a newegg link? I searched above no hits?

The link is below. It came up from my search for “WD2002FYPS” but I requested the specific drive “WD2002FYPS-02W3B0” from the seller, TECH EXPERTS. It is listed as a “Bare Drive,” not sure if that is an issue.

Western Digital WD 2TB 3.5" Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com-22-136-365--Product