New Beta? v1.03.41

Found this link, not sure if it is truly “Public” -Has anyone tried it yet?

[deleted]

Version 1.03.41_V: Limited Public Beta
Resolved Issues: 
• Resolved issue of certain TVs not completing FW update if connected via HDMI.
• Resolved HDMI negotiation not selecting preferred resolution setting.

The last two posts about it got deleted.

You going for #3?

Sorry… only one was deleted… the other was locked, with its links removed.

See Bill’s post:  http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/A-new-Firmware-for-WD-TV-live/m-p/62302#M4886

If they were deleted how would I know about them :wink:

Hey I can’t control what is in the 'Net…

It’s not a public beta.  I’d put a question mark over whether it can be called a Beta when WD don’t feel comfortable releasing it to the people who want more beta firmwares.

When WD want a firmware shared amongst the community, they’ll create a thread and link to an official beta page on wdc.com that provides full instructions and a rollback firmware.

Use this one at your own risk and don’t expect any sympathy if it goes wrong or you struggle to revert to an older firmware (which we’ve seen in threads regarding the leaked 0.40 test release).  

Surprisingly enough, I never thought some users are so foolish as to venture into bootleg beta firmware!

To the victor ■■■■■ goes the spoils brick.

1 Like

Even if this beta was not intended as a “general release” it is/was direct from WD’s own website. -Not sure how that makes it a “bootleg”.

If the developers really wanted to keep a lid on things they shouldn’t use a well known and public distribution site to post the latest builds. Use a private FTP, or change the URL / virtual directory / security on their webserver…

Yes I agree, Beta’s by their very nature are risky and should always be used with extreme caution…

_ …caveat utilitor _

The funny thing is, people suggested WD simply provide a URL that couldn’t be stumbled upon and not use the default beta page. They did so, asked people to not share the link, yet here we are.

Now you’re suggesting that they use a password protected folder or FTP. It’s painfully obvious to me that even if they were to go to that trouble, the person or persons leaking the current location would simply include the password!

How about people respect WD’s reasonable request NOT to share the location of future test releases? Is that really so radical?

Bertrandr wrote:

Found this link, not sure if it is truly “Public” -Has anyone tried it yet?

[deleted]

Version 1.03.41_V: Limited Public Beta
Resolved Issues: 
• Resolved issue of certain TVs not completing FW update if connected via HDMI.
• Resolved HDMI negotiation not selecting preferred resolution setting.

I have the official “limited group” firmware 1.03.40_V installed.

After installing it the tv show me a green screen for about 5 seconds.

In the video settings the install caused the wdtv to use 720p, had to manually change it (I have a former flagship model of philips tv series 2009).

That green screen didn’t happen with the default firmware 1.02.21 (3/2010) that was installed on it when I bought it. Just nagging here, not going to go back to that old mummy firmware. :smileyvery-happy:

EDIT:typos, typos, am I the master of it?

Sorry for this second post but my issues are gone!

I upgraded to the v1.03.41 from your server and below are the report.

WD staff, way to go! -You fixed my issues. :smiley: Unbelievable!

I upgraded and did the factory reset as always.

• no more green screen with Philips tv

• faster network response time and no “timeout” issues that I did have with earlier firmware

• faster overall response times (browsing folders)

• no more issues with Skip 10min back/forth

Looking good!

Previously I did factory reset for several times + plug the power off the wdtv, but these issues weren’t solved.

I don’t know what you have changed in this version, if any, but even if you didn’t fix these they now work and as long as it works I’m happy with it. Thank you very much!

SPOILER ALERT

EDIT: New behavior found. Video resume is not working anymore. I used USB connected HDD.

I was one of the selected users to test this firmware. Its was a private firmware because it tries to fix HDMI issues introduced in latest betas, which in fact my unit was affected. I am not able to test any fixes from this firmware because my screen stays black all-time with the latest 2 betas. I already informed the guy who sent me this firmware. I recommend to stay put and do not complain about betas and really wait for the stable release. My 2 cents!

matcarfer wrote:
I was one of the selected users to test this firmware. Its was a private firmware because it tries to fix HDMI issues introduced in latest betas, which in fact my unit was affected. I am not able to test any fixes from this firmware because my screen stays black all-time with the latest 2 betas. I already informed the guy who sent me this firmware. I recommend to stay put and do not complain about betas and really wait for the stable release. My 2 cents!

What brand and model is your tv? I think that is important to know.

Maybe we should start is a path in which everyone can add TV and whether there are problems with the communication between the unit and the WD TV live, are particular to the HDMI interface.

I already informed the guy who sent me the firmware, and sent my edid.bin to analyze. My tv is an Argentinian Samsung LN32B550 LCD.

TV is Sony Bravia KDL 40W4500, WDTV Live V1.03.41

• 12-color depth still not working (just blank screen)

• if WDTV Live is set to 1080p 60Hz RGB High, it works fine, but if you turn off WDTV Live and TV for a few minutes, then turn both on again, WDTV drops to 1080p 60Hz RGB Low, and I have to set it again to RGB High. There was no problem like that with V1.02.21.

I would like to help, although I am not a “choosen one” to test limited betas.

its support is sh1t from 3/10 waiting for stable release

i pay 120 euro and dont see support:neutral_face:.

I never had any HDMI problems with the following combination (this was VERY STABLE):

• WDTV Live v1.02.21 (Oficial) -> Denon AVR-1910 (HDMI v1.3) -> Samsung LE40B551

Since the receiver was exchanged by the Denon AVR-1911 (HDMI v1.4), the problems started. With every firmware, the oficial v1.02.21 and the limited betas I had HDMI handshake problems (green bars on black screen).

I’m pleased to say that the v1.03.41_V has solved the HDMI handshake problem (and the resolution is saved).

This “test module” has been very stable, FINALLY I can use the WDTVL with the Denon 1911 through HDMI.

Working OK: - WDTV Live v1.03.41_V (“test module”) -> Denon AVR-1911 (HDMI v1.4) -> Samsung LE40B551

paul_323 wrote:

its support is sh1t from 3/10 waiting for stable release

i pay 120 euro and dont see support:neutral_face:.

Paul, what was NOT working for you in 1.02.21 that forced you to upgrade to the betas?   

hi friend i have TV LG 2262D-PZ and the problem started from all latest beta releases i have test all 

beta and the v1.03.41 update firmware but rollback again to 1.02.21 official.

1.03.38 no logo blank screen no signal

1.03.39 no logo blank screen no signal

1.03.40 WD logo ok  2sec and start no signal

10.3.41 WD logo ok 2sec. and start no signal

HDMI working only in WD LOGO and TV no signal.

I understand you have problems with the BETA, but why are you using it at all?   You’re complained that there’s no stable release since MARCH, but what was UNSTABLE 1.02.21 that forced you to upgrade to the betas?