New Beta Release - WDTV Live Plus Firmware Version 1.06.38_B (11/13/12)

So, in the interests of “science”, here’s a followup on my betatesting. Really not much else to report. It’s usable. But, then again, I was using the original pulled release before that and just learned to deal with the horrible laggy interface. That doesn’t seem to be an issue with this release, as I said before. I haven’t had too many issues other than that. The device seems to find my network shares, albeit it seems to be a bit flaky in when it wants to do so. Not much new there. I did have a problem with Hulu+ wanting to resume a previously-viewed video and it was lagging and unresponsive. But, to be fair, the Hulu+ app is a mess anyways. Why is 30 Rock still listed in my subscriptions even though it went web-only and lists zero episodes? Why does it take so long to exit Hulu+ to the main menu? Heck if I know. Or ever will, with the way things operate around here. I’ve taken to just shaking my voodoo stick at the WD TVLive Plus and moving on. Oh, and I just remembered, the subtitles on Netflix. I have to go and turn OFF subtitles manually everytime otherwise I get double-layered yellow-on-white subtitles. Don’t recall that happeneing before.

All jokes aside, really though. How about a _ change log?_ Is that really such a bizzare thing to ask for? Who are the firmware programmers? Is it one guy? Or is it a team? I find it absurd that we waited one year for an update which was proudly announced and almost immediately pulled. If you guys just opened up your source I bet you’d find the community at large would fix most of your problems themselves both better and more quickly. Just a thought. Oh, and dumping people from several differing devices (with similar names) and from different regional markets, all into the one forum? Who’s brilliant idea was that? :robottongue:

Thinking back to the old previous forum, I recall someone asking for a web browser and them being told by someone of authority that there was no way they could do that because the device was optimized for audio and video and blah blah blah. Fast forward one year, and there’s a web browser hidden in the device menus? WTH is up with that? My point being that in the 2 years of using this device I see absolutely no rhyme or reason to the way this device has been developed. Watching this drama unfold has made me embarrassed for you folks and certainly has made me think twice about purchasing any WD products in the future.

I tried this beta update but it froze during the process.   I was going to try and use yamon to unbrick it.   but for now I’ve tried to reset it and power cycle.  redownloaded the zip file because I thought it was corrupted.  I think the unit got a bad firmware update when 1.06.38 came out.  don’t know yet.  if anyone has used yamon to unbrick or another method to free it from update mode and factory reset let me know

Just tried the update and had these quick observations. File sharing is hit and miss again. I had to do a hard reset 3 times to get it to work again.

I use Playon with my WD Live Plus. I just had watched a program before the update and went back to it after the update and I got the dreaded “Can not play file type.” Still can not watch  some .mp4 files on Playon with my WD that i can with another brand media streamer. Hoping the stable version will be better. I will play around some more, but will probably go back to the previous version. I am running Windows 7 Pro.

Here are my experiences with this image:

• My Western Digital Passport 1 TB driver takes minutes to be recognised by the WDTV. This is new.

• Some ripped DVDs on the drive will skip. This is the same behaviour as v1.06.16_B. The same ripped DVD works on v1.05.04_B.

• Some ripped DVDs on a shared drive have the opposite effect of point above, they skip when viewed from the shared drive in v1.05.04_B but not in v1.06.16_B.

Most of my viewing is DVDs on either My Passport or shared drives so I’ll be flashing between v1.05.04_B and v1.06.16_B. It’s not much fun but allows me to view my films without error.

BTW, can we lose the games.

Thanks for the beta.

Philip

I do no see any significant changes in this firmware. I upgraded from 1.06.16. Is is possible to make the UI more user friendly and also add Amazon video streaming? I love the WDTV live plus and believe its way superior to Roku except that Roku’s UI is miles ahead of WDTV, Pardon me for being honest. The fact that WDTV supports DLNA is a huge deal eliminating the need to invest in a PC and softwares like PlayOn that Roku requires.