New Beta Release - WDTV Live Firmware Version 1.06.38_V (11/13/12)

So far I haven’t seen any standalone (DVD player, car stereo, radio) that could play randomly. Of each playlist several songs got played back multiple times before all songs were done once.

1. adapter wi-fi d-link dwa 125 A1 does not work properly. LED does not blink.
  2. mkv and avi can be started with a delay. random.
  3. open network resources the player can not detect.  reboot … until he finds.
  4. YouTube plugin is unstable. not user friendly functionality. slow. crash plugin. the player has to turn off-and on.

player rev.00

Still not fixed the match framerate bug :cry: It makes the version (and hence the device) a nogo for europeans, if you have a mix of 24p and 25p material (and you can’t see the framerate in any way)

Randomly some mkv files are transformed into folders 0byte

Auto framerate is still broken :frowning:

Other than that it seems good,

Yesterday I gave the new beta a chance for testing:

(did a settings factory reset)

Results:

auto framerate not working at all

no enumeration of smb/cifs workstations at all (windows7/linux)

wdtv iphone remote app seems to work (only short test)

network upnp media server works

rolled back to 1.04.31

auto framerate and network shares are working again

my setup:

tv: samsung 46c7700 connected to denon avr 1911 via hdmi

wdtv: connected to denon avr1911 via hdmi

bluemosel wrote:
BBC iplayer early finish is a problem with the BBC and not WD. Have you sent a fault report to BBC?
How do you know this?

I don’t profess to be any sort of expert on this matter, but I have read quite a few articles on this and other media steaming devices that all have the same problem.
I believe the iplayer is loaded remotely and all the funtionilty is on the BBC side.

Encountered another bug. When exiting out of YouTube it can take anywhere from a minute to much longer to finally exit the app. One time I waited so long I got fed up and restarted the device (had to unplug the device).

I also have found that network shares do not always work. I’m still trying to find out why sometimes works and sometimes it doesnt. It’s incredible that after years of firmware releases BASIC and FEATURED functions as Match Frame Rate and Network Shares do not work properly. Lets hope this 2 bugs gets fixed before stable release, and before this YEAR.

-It takes about 7-8 sec untill the usb stick i put in  is recognisable

This hapens also with latest release.

With version 1.05.04_V it takes about 3 sec.

-Subtitles turns back to off when the device is not on power for a few days

They only stays on when you let the device on power 24/7

Can’t you put the default subtitles back to on please as factory settings like you did in the first release 1.02

Then this problem will be solved.

gogetas wrote:

Randomly some mkv files are transformed into folders 0byte

Last year, there were reports here about folks finding 0 Byte files on their WD attached drives.  I was one of those people.  I took the drive off, ran chkdsk on the drive to scan for errors, found errors that were fixed, and since then have had no problems.  Just clean up the HD; delete those 0 byte files and hopefully you have backups you can put back on to the drive.  Ejecting the drive from the WD properly can minimize these kinds of problems.

I also have found that network shares do not always work.

This has been a prbolem all along, and I believe it is Win 7/networking related.  Right now, the problem does not show up on my system – probably due to the latest Win update fixing or not having any problems.

Just tried connecting a WD 1TB USB 3.0 external HD (ntfs) and a pendrive 16 GB usb 2.0 (fat32), and they worked, except accessing the disk for the first time took much longer than before (maybe it was indexing the disk.

But I’m experiencing a bug: now when I connect both devices to my PC running Win7 I get a warning, and I’m told to run check disk. I did so and found an error like:

“rilevati errori nel segmento record file di tipo sparse 248” (sorry it’s not english, but my windows 7 is italian)

but apart that the drive seems ok now, but I’m not really sure!

In both cases I turned off the WDTV Live, without before unmounting the usb disks, but I did that for years with firmware 1.03_49_V, and never had a problem. Please fix this, as I dont’ want to loose data. Thanks!

jarodsteele wrote:

Just tried connecting a WD 1TB USB 3.0 external HD (ntfs) and a pendrive 16 GB usb 2.0 (fat32), and they worked, except accessing the disk for the first time took much longer than before (maybe it was indexing the disk.

But I’m experiencing a bug: now when I connect both devices to my PC running Win7 I get a warning, and I’m told to run check disk. I did so and found an error like:

“rilevati errori nel segmento record file di tipo sparse 248” (sorry it’s not english, but my windows 7 is italian)

but apart that the drive seems ok now, but I’m not really sure!

In both cases I turned off the WDTV Live, without before unmounting the usb disks, but I did that for years with firmware 1.03_49_V, and never had a problem. Please fix this, as I dont’ want to loose data. Thanks!

Only remove the drives after using the eject button on remote, no need to turn player off.

markinuk wrote:

Only remove the drives after using the eject button on remote, no need to turn player off.

Yes, but if I just want to go to sleep? it’s annoying to eject and then turn off. I want to only turn off, just like I did for more than a year, without any problems, with the 1.03.49_V firmware! it should be fixed!

Some more testing this evening :

• Android WD Remote app works fine, and this is a great feature !
      It provides a keyboard working fine for Youtube searches for instance, and a volume control.
      No need for TV + WDTV Live remotes now !
      I never hoped this would work. I love it.

• The hidden web browser is included (please don’t remove that).
      I connected a wireless mouse on a USB hub, and with the Android app’s keyboard, it allows surfing -but no flash. Remember this is unofficial and unsupported.

• The Wifi dongle (Dlink WA 140) led does’t blink any more but I prefer that. 

• Windows 7 ‘Play To’ shows no regression. 

• Finding media from Windows 7 multimedia servers is OK, but long to start and stutters for videos as I have a poor ‘g’ Wifi…   

• I do not have issue in connecting to Windows 7 network shares.

I don’t have a hdmi link so probably avoid several issues, but so far it’s by far the best firmware ever for my usage.

Thanks WD !

My trust in WD support is coming back.

Regarding the connection to network shares, it did not work, then I re-entered the workgroup name, and it’s OK.

Hope it helps

All along from the v1.05.04 version there is no more option “Digital Pass-Trough”. With that option sound was simultaneously present on optical and HDMI output. This was the nice feature because you didnt have to power on the audio receiver for watching videos with stereo sound only.  The best firmware for me was 1.04.22 because I was enable to watch and listen stereo sound  via HDMI and Digital sound via Optical.  where the HDMI is connected to the TV and Optical is connected to the home theatre receiver.

In my setup HDMI is connected to the TV and Optical is connected to the home theatre receiver.

Please, revert back that option and fix the auto frame rate and the box will be perfect :slight_smile:

KR

BigBruno wrote:

Can’t you put the default subtitles back to on please as factory settings like you did in the first release 1.02

No, they can’t cause many people don’t want subtitles. What WD should of course do, is fix the bug you mentioned.

Is it possible to have both youtube plugins?

Leanback is good, but playlists and video manage have better usability in old youtube plugin.