New Beta Release - WDTV Live Firmware Version 1.06.38_V (11/13/12)

WD would like to extend the opportunity to join a two week public beta test of the latest WD TV Live firmware.  It will be available for the first 3,000 downloads.  Please post your experiences here in this thread.

•  

To roll back, please refer to Knowledge Base Article 5800.

Note:  Thank you for your contributions.  This beta is now closed.  We are investigating the issues you reported from the beta, and are looking to have a final firmware release sometime soon.

2 Likes

Thanks Bill.

So far, so good. Very limited testing, I installed it, rebooted, the WDTV found my network, connected to my Synology 212J NAS, and started a large (10GB) file without any issues. So far, so good… I’ll test some more and report back.

A

Hi, I tested it and it didnt brick my device. Yeah! The display resolution, for the first time on this device, was recognized correctly at 1080p. Unbelivable. The first thing I tried was to check “Match Frame Rate” and it didnt work. All movies play at 60hz. This never worked for me since first firmware. Match Frame Rate function was always broken for me. When it did work at 24hz (like previous firmware) I got hiccups on the image. Of course my PS3 plays all BluRay movies at 24hz without a hitch. Sigh. Lets hope everything works fine though. Will test everything I can this night.

Updated the firmware without problems. Played 1080p mkv’s from My Book Live without problems using both DNLA and network share modes. Match frame rate still does not work like mentioned above. When enabled it shows everything in the native resolution of the TV (mine is 1080p25) instead of matching the frame rate. But you can manually change it. I forgot to check whether it remembers the manual setting after restart. Youtube lean back works fine. BBC iPlayer doesn’t work since I am not in the UK. Please fix the match frame rate function in the final release. For those people who don’t want to change the display setting for every file, I would advise to permanently set it to 1080p60 even if you live in a PAL country in order to get minimal judder, stutter etc. with different frame rates.   

Hello,

I still have an issue (same as 1.06.34) : unable to seen shared directory over the network after boot.

the only solution to seen then is to go in network settings menu and : Netxork installation. then I can see my NAS and my Pcs.

HTH,

Proktos.

Match Frame Rate function failed again.

Updated and all appears to be in order regards to Media Server viewing from Plex Media Server running on OSX 10.7

Power off and on is working again which didn’t work for me in previous release, always had to pull out the cable.

That’s all I’ve got so far

Installed all fine

Playing from USB and network shares all ok

Not working:-

auto framerate

BBC iplayer - (same problems as SMP) pause and then play quits the program your watching, and unwatchable because you can never see the end of a program as it quits the program early.

Yup, tested with a host of files now, and also confirm match framerate doesn’t work - it’s defaulting to 60hz irrespective of input file.

FLAC plays, but comes into my receiver at 44.1kHz PCM, irrespective of the bitrate that they’re encoded at. I don’t remember if that was always the case.

It’s snappier now, I’ll give it that. I haven’t tried any of the other internet-only options.

tested internet services and Deezer seems to show no results in search in artist , title, or all , it did not do this in 1.06.15 

firmware . Youtube seems ok except search results seem to be less than 1.06.15, Daily Motion is ok  Flingo is ok and Flicker seems fine but havent tested the others. I’ll post if i find anything else

well i tested all but the Facebook app and it seems like Deezer shows No results always under Search, live 365 shows no thumbnails pics for stations when srcolling through stations , Tunein app  also shows no station pics , Flingo sometimes shows video playback error sometimes when you play a selected video but picking it again seems to make it play(dont remember if this was present in 1.06.15). As for Youtube it seems ok except for that it shows less results than 

the 1.06.15 firmware when searching …, Pandora is ok , Daily Motion is ok, Flicker seems ok (dont have an account) and finally Accuweather is ok . If anyone wants to test Facebook and post results it would be greatly appreciated by the community :wink:

Re: New Beta Release - WDTV Live Firmware Version 1.06.38_V (11/13/12)

59 minutes ago

well i tested all but the Facebook app and it seems like Deezer shows No results always under Search, live 365 shows no thumbnails pics for stations when srcolling through stations , Tunein app  also shows no station pics , Flingo sometimes shows video playback error sometimes when you play a selected video but picking it again seems to make it play(dont remember if this was present in 1.06.15). As for Youtube it seems ok except for that it shows less results than 

the 1.06.15 firmware when searching …, Pandora is ok , Daily Motion is ok, Flicker seems ok (dont have an account) and finally Accuweather is ok . If anyone wants to test Facebook and post results it would be greatly appreciated by the community  :wink:

Edit :        After  checking Deezer on 1.06.15 firmware it turns out that it behaves the same as in beta firmware 1.06.38 but i remember the search working in 1.06.15 firmware because i used it , so this change is most likely on Deezers end . I’d like too also point out that Flingo on 1.06.15 firmware does sometimes show playback error when playing a selected video just like beta firmware 1.06.38

BBC iplayer early finish is a problem with the BBC and not WD. Have you sent a fault report to BBC?

bluemosel wrote:
BBC iplayer early finish is a problem with the BBC and not WD. Have you sent a fault report to BBC?

How do you know this?

Hi,

First, thanks for involving us in a beta.

No issue in playing videos (avi, m2ts, 3gp, mpg, vob, mov…).
My feeling is that they start faster.

Tried Deezer.
   - search by artist works fine for me
   - search by album is like with 1.06.15  : 
           - if you search with full correct album name, you get the result, but then no way to add it in a playlist : nothing happens. btw the information displayed show the album name as unknown.
              and if you try to play the album, you go to the deezer menu !

Please could you investigate on this ? Is it the same behaviour on the other WD products ?
Deezer is really great, I use it a lot, and not being able to add an album in a playlist is a pain.

WDTV Live, Wifi dongle, 2TB WD Elements

Awesome…downloading now. Results to follow over the next few days…

VP

bluemosel wrote:

Not true. Every other device (PS3 / Tablet / PC) continues to the end of the credits, the WD player always stops at least 30 seconds before this and usually means that you miss the actual end of the program.

So far not too many problems. Much better than the initial attempt for sure.

Testing based on Network Shares with Media shared from various Seagate EXT HDDs connected USB to WDTVLiveHub.

There still seems to be a small delay before starting some videos (namely MKVs and some Xvids) over a network share but it is only a small delay (5 - 10 seconds) as opposed to the unbareable 2 - 5 minutes on MKVs in the previous release so that’s a big thumbs up. There is a delay after fast forwarding those same files too but that’s not a big issue.

Various video files avi(Xvid,Divx),mp4/m4v,mkv,m2ts,mpg seem to play fine. Tested MKVs with AAC, AC3 and DTS audio. All seem to play fine. Have not tried anything like a High10 encode but the device never played those to begin with so I don’t expect it to. I suspect that is due to hardware limitations but I won’t go into that as it does not bother me.

Thumbnails look crisp and clear while browsing but seem to take a while to load.

Match Framerate doesn’t work.

YouTube seems to work fine, I do not really use it on this device but I tested it anyway and do not seem to be encountering any problems with it.

Really wish that ugly folder icon would be removed from folder thumbs but that’s a nitpick not a bug report.

Thought I saw someone mentioning a subtitle bug. I do not seem to be encountering this as mine work fine.

When switching between audio while watching video files the video jumps back about 10 seconds. Not sure if this is intentional or not but it is not bothersome. Just thought I would mention it in case it is a bug.

I will add any more finds as testing continues.

EDIT: I also forgot to add that I always have my options set to Repeat all for video play as default yet every time I play a video in a folder I have to set repeat all every time. This has occured on every firmware I can remember using and even does it on every firmware I’ve used for the Live Hub as well. Am I missing something here?

Unfortunately, the random file playback is not random.  I have around 7000 tracks but when looking at all music and setting the random option, the playback cycles through 5 albums, from a total of around 600. 

Please put me out of my misery and ensure this issue is addressed in the next rollout of the firmware.  It used to work…why doesn’t it work now?:cry:

PJPro wrote:

Unfortunately, the random file playback is not random.  I have around 7000 tracks but when looking at all music and setting the random option, the playback cycles through 5 albums, from a total of around 600. 

Please put me out of my misery and ensure this issue is addressed in the next rollout of the firmware.  It used to work…why doesn’t it work now?:cry:

This has been how it worked all along, and why I do NOT use WD’s “lame” shuffle feature except for maybe one album.  I prefer to create truly random shuffled playlists (from my 10,000+ tracks) with iTunes DJ that I can play via the WD player.  Works great.  Only “problem” is that iTunes DJ’s max size of playlist is 100 tracks.  But, it really is not a problem, I just make a few playlists at a time and play one until done, then start another.  If I forgot where I left off, I start another playlist.  When I run out of playlists I make more.  It takes a minute or so to make and save 5.