New 5TB G-Drive USB Failing to Mount on iMac

I received this desktop drive two days ago and I am running High Sierra. When I first got it, I ran Disk Utility First Aid without any anomalies. I have done nothing to the drive (e.g. partitioning). It is being used to back up a 6 TB G-Raid Studio drive set on Raid 0. The drive worked fine until I tried to start it this morning.

It is plugged directly into a USB 3 port on my iMac and lights up and makes a sound like it’s starting several times. Then it just stops, although it remains lit up.

System Information recognizes it.

Finder, Disk Utility and the G-Tech Assistant do not see it. I assume that the problem is that it is simply not mounting.

I have tried a different USB port and have also tried the drive on another Mac, running Sierra rather than High Sierra, with the same result.

Should I just return this drive or am I missing something?

You have tried all the troubleshooting steps, one thing I would suggest looking at just in case is the power adapter. Make sure it is 12v and 2 amps. Otherwise we would recommend replacement.

The power adapter that came with the drive says that the output is 12V, 1.5A. Does this mean that I was given the wrong power adapter? If so, why would it work for two days and then stop?

Thanks

The G-Technology brand does not provide a 1.5a power adapter. We have only ever used 12v and 2a adapters. That is likely an adapter that was swapped without notice as they would likely both fit.

Very odd. I’ll be taking this up with B&H, which sold me the drive. Is having used it with a 1.5A adapter likely to have caused any damage? Can I try using it with a 5A adapter?

Not damage no, that is under power and you can over-amp it will just use what it needs. So a 5A will be fine. The most important thing to watch out for is making sure it is 12V and only 12V.

Lydia,

Thanks for your help on this. Unfortunately, when I tried the drive with a 12V, 3A adapter I got the same result as before. I guess this is going back. I’ll probably select another drive, as I don’t want one from the same batch, especially after having received the wrong adapter.