New 4TB Gold Apparently Locked Fresh Out Of The Box

New 4TB Gold drive. Windows 10. Drive delivered in sealed WD foil. WD reports the serial number is valid for warranty. Drive placed in hot swap dock. Nothing shows in Windows Computer Mgmt | Disk Mgmt. Intel RST sees the drive in Port 4 and reports Status: Locked. The drive would ordinarily have to be initialized (GBT, Volume, format, etc) but what do I do here where it is invisible to Windows but IRST sees it and reports locked.

Hello, jasmoo

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

Thanks for the reply. I have indeed contacted WD Tech Support. The drive was declared defective, a replacement has been shipped and received, tested, and awaiting install in the RAID up-sizing–a good thing this was drive swap was elective and not urgent… It took 7 days from approval to receipt; which seems a little long when Amazon Prime can turn things around in 2 days, This was just after the holiday weekend. Otherwise eveything fine. BTW I have or have had about two dozen WD drives; this is my second warranty claim. This one was zero days; the other was about 60-90 days. I have a couple six-year old Yellow drives still in service-mirrored and backed-up. On the whole I am happy with WD.