Networked WDTV Questions

I had a hard connection and everything worked perfectly.  I finally got around to getting the wireless axdapter.  The installation went fine but now the movies are very choppy and freeze constantly, pretty much unwatchable. .However,  You tube works perfectly.  The device is about 10 feet away from my router.  The signal strength only had 2 bars.  I have a 5 year old router.  Can that be the problem or is it something else??  Also now it shows the JPG files twice.  One on its own and once in the video file.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

It will indeed show the jpegs as well as the movie thumbs – this is an issue they are working on (read: perhaps in the next release in three or four months).

I’d check your network traffic and make sure nothing else is going on, no file serving or any other heavy loads.  If I run some heavy services I can also interrupt my video stream, but otherwise everything plays great.  It’s somewhat troublesome that you have a weak signal, as that could also be an issue.  My own router is at least five years old and works just fine, but it’s a good quality Linksys. 

Thanks for the reply.  I wasnt running anything heavy.  I am really hoping it is the router.  I got it from Verizon when I signed up for FIOS.  Why do you think You Tube works fine? 

rsilver30 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  I wasnt running anything heavy.  I am really hoping it is the router.  I got it from Verizon when I signed up for FIOS.  Why do you think You Tube works fine? 

Most youtube videos have little in the way of bandwidth whereas the videos you are attempting play could be a very high bit-rate.

As Rich says, YouTube isn’t a good test for streaming high quality.

If your router isn’t at least wireless-G then it’s best to replace it.