I was hoping to get some home technology/entertainment advice, as I know you’re all across this, so sorry for the silly questions upfront. It maybe better if I start with my existing set-up first, with all the following located next to each other in the same room:
- Topfield DVR (500GB)
- Yamaha AVR
- Netgear CG100 cable router
I would basically like to:
- Expand the storage of the DVR
- Easily watch downloaded shows on TV from an external HD
- Only a nice to have: network storage ability
I was thinking of attaching a network drive (WD ‘My Book Live’) to the router, however unsure of how a few things would work:
- Will the DVR be able to access the network storage as additional capacity in order to record TV shows (i.e. extend the storage capacity of the DVR) ?
- What is the best way to access the files on the network storage to watch them on TV ? Is it via the DVR ? (I assume that the DVR will be able to handle the majority of file types and a separate Media Player isn’t required)
I am guessing the simple alternative is to the above is to just utilise a ‘My Book AV’ and connect that to the DVR, however I would then lose any benefits with network storage.
Thanks for your help in advance,