Network Sharing Issues - Win7 x64

So, you’re saying we can’t fix this problem?

raed77 wrote:

So, you’re saying we can’t fix this problem?

No, I’m just saying that without knowing exactly WHAT the problem is, it’s going to be very difficult for anyone here to fix it for you.

The fact that you ROLLED BACK your software, and it still had a problem, indicates that it’s not a software problem with the WD.  The fact that it worked BEFORE and now doesn’t (even on the same version) is a temporal coincidence.  

If you want to do a WIRESHARK capture on the PC that is Sharing, and forward that to me, I’ll take a look and see what I can do…

I finally got the problem fixed last night (1 AM!).

It was because of the browser master. Somehow, the master became one of my brothers PC and that restricted the WDTV from seeing shared machines!!!

I’m not sure how this whole browser master concept works, but I had to kick all the PCs except mine out of the network then my PC got to be the master browser.

This means that this could happen again since some kind of “election” happens between machines to elect who the master browser will be among them.

I also (as a precaution measure) modified the registry in the path (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters)

I created a new string name (IsDomainMaster) with value (TRUE). That’s supposed to make my machine always the browser master. I wonder if I set another PC in the home network with the same value!!

Anyhow, I hope this helps you Ceilingcat. Perhaps TonyPh12345 can elaborate more. I have one question though, what if I have my PC and the WDTV on a separate workgroup from other machines in the network? Won’t that isolate my machine and hence it will always be the browser master since it is the only machine?

Raed77, that’s great news, and thinks for posting a detailed follow-up.

What if I have my PC and the WDTV on a separate workgroup… 

Then that will always be the Browser but ONLY of that workgroup.   That could be a valid workaround for some people who have networks that are dynamic with machines going up and down more frequently.  In fact, this is a good workaround for machines that are on the network that don’t fulfill the role well, like the Linksys E-series routers.   If THEY get elected MASTER of the same workgroup as a WDTV, it causes problems in a lot of cases.

So, to be technical: when you do this, EACH workgroup will elect its OWN master.  

And the masters between WorkGroups must then also be able to talk to each other so they can exchange Workgroup information with each other.   But that won’t be a big problem if the PCs that are NOT in the same workgroup aren’t responsible for sharing media.

The whole Master Browser thing is very tenuous at best.   Some machines are more resilient; others are more picky (like the WDTVs.)   

I have my QNAP NAS configured to ALWAYS be the Master Browser.   The only time it is NOT the master is if I reboot it while my Windows 7 box is still on.    

In other words, my QNAP will not typically PREEMPT, or steal the browser from another elected member, but if there IS an election when it is up and running, it will ALWAYS win.

My QNAP is on 24x7 (except when I upgrade it) so my network is 100% rock solid from the Master Browser issues.

I hope this helps somebody.

I have three win7 computers and one Linux computer.  All of them have shared folders on them. 

Everything was working fine for a long time but then suddenly whe WDTV Live and WDTV Live Plus boxes would not see the shared folders for all of my windows boxes.

I have all of the workgroups set to WEAVERNET; except I found that one of my window boxes was reset to WORKGROUP.  Once I set than computer’s workgroup to WEAVERNET then both of my WDTV boxes could see all of the Win7 computers on the network once again.

Strange…

BTW:  Communications between the Linux Box and the WDTV Live boxes are bulletproff.

1 Like

weaver4 wrote:

I hope this helps somebody.

I have all of the workgroups set to WEAVERNET; except I found that one of my window boxes was reset to WORKGROUP.  Once I set than computer’s workgroup to WEAVERNET then both of my WDTV boxes could see all of the Win7 computers on the network once again.

Strange…

I’ve had that issue for about 10 years… going back to the Win2k days.  Every once in a while, Windoze will change the workgroup name to “WORKGROUP” for no apparent reason.  I’ve never been able to figure out why.

At least I know it’s not just me. :smileyvery-happy:

Hi  All,

I had the same problem. I fixed disabling the Group Home (no need this sharing feature, since my PC is the only running W7) and putting in all  the connected devices (TV, game console, Router and other PC) WORKGROUP as default group. I reset the connection and magically WD TV Live appeared again in my network.

Anyway in the days before, I used a walkaround, since the access to the data (a 1 TB WD Passport connected to the WD Live) was always granted by simply mapping the root folder as a network unit, using the IP address in lieu of the name (not recognized). 

Just to make clear.  My wdtvlive boxes were on WEAVERNET, my server that had my content on it was also on WEAVERNET and but one other computer was on WORKGROUP and it caused the issue.  Changing that computer to WEAVERNET (eventhough it was not the server or client) fixed the issue.