Network shares - Workgroup

Every time I reboot my computer I have to ‘rejoin’ workgroup.

For example, after rebooting my PC, WDTV just buffers looking for network shares.

I then go to Sysdm.cpl > Network ID > This computer is part of business… > My computer uses… without domain > WORKGROUP > Finish.

I don’t have to reboot the computer for the changes to take effect.  As soon as I do this, my network shares appear on my WDTV.

I’ve taken screenshots of my services that are started, before and after doing this to see if there is some service that’s started but there isn’t.

WDTV - Gen3

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Is this the only computer within your network with this behavior?

Set up my other PC on the network and to share and same thing.

Just really sporadic, I give up :confused:

Whats the benefit of having your computer join the workgroup?

What I do is I go onto my computer right click on the folder I want WD to see. Then select properties>>Sharing>>Advanced sharing. Check mark “Share this folder” and give it a name. Then go onto WD and select Network Share. Find that computer in the list and enter user name and password for that computer. There is no workgroup or anything to eneble.

Uh huh… I’m not saying there’s a point to joining the workgroup, I said that’s the only way the network shares show up is if I mess with the workgroup.  Nothing to do with how my folders are shared.

Sorry, I tought it was just another way to get WD to stream your files. So thats why I asked what the benefit of it was. In all the years I have streamed to it I have never had to mess around with workgroups/homegroups. 

Me either.  When I did a fresh OS install in December, my router also died.  Ever since then I’ve had to do this every day to view my network shares.  Thought it was my router for a while so got a new one and same thing.  I’ve tweaked every network setting, tried homegroups and workgroups… guess next I’ll try to setup a domain.

http://www.howtosolutions.net/2012/07/wd-tv-not-able-to-see-network-shares-on-windows/#.VTrEjiFVhBc

zanosg wrote:

Sorry, I tought it was just another way to get WD to stream your files. So thats why I asked what the benefit of it was. In all the years I have streamed to it I have never had to mess around with workgroups/homegroups. 

Which means you either connected via DLNA or had your groups set to the default ‘workgroup’ so you did not notice (homegroups have no bearing on WDTV’s operation).