Network shares come and go ... getting worse

Hey guys,

I have a strange and frustrating network problem: my WD Live Plus can only see my network shares some of the time.

Here is my setup:

1. Linksys E1000 router - latest firmware

2. TP-Link Unmanaged Gigabit Switch  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704043

3. File server running Windows 7 Ultimate - contains all active network shares

4. Living room computer running Windows 7 Ultimate

5. WD Live Plus in bedroom - latest firmware

6. WD Live Plus in family room - latest firmware

7. Two laptops that connect wirelessly to the E1000

Here is my problem and the diagnostic process that I’ve already been through:

I access all my content on both WD Live Plus boxes from my fileserver through network shares. Both WDLPs can always see each other in the “Network Shares” menu, along with the router. However, they can only sporadically see the network shares from the fileserver and the living room computer. Some of the time I watch my content just fine through the network shares menu, but much of the time I cannot. The WDLPs can ALWAYS access all networked computers through the “Media Servers” menu, and can also often see the network shares on the laptops but not the wired computers. The problem seems exacerbated by any traffic on the network. For example, when I transfer a file from the living room computer to the fileserver, I can’t access the network shares through the WDLPs for at least an hour afterwards. I have another 100 switch that I have swapped out for my gigabit switch, but this does not solve the problem.

Any thoughts on what might be happening here? Both WD Live Plus boxes behave the same way, so I’m convinced that neither one is the problem. I’m wondering if it’s a router problem or a windows settings problem, or maybe an alien virus living in my network … LOL

Are you using a wired or wireless connection for the WDTVs?

All WIRED connections between file server, living room computer and WDLPs