Network Share - Windows Share Problems

Ok, hour 6 of troubleshooting and I’m just going to ask.

Does anybody have this thing working yet?

Windows 7 x64

WD TV Live

Network Share - Windows Share

“Invalid username or password”  - My username and password are correct. 

There are dozens of people with this problem on this forum going back 3 years and various fixes that worked for some of them.

Media Server mode works, but the problem is that it’s useless.  It doesn’t detect anything that an xbox won’t detect.  Only WMV and AVI this way.  So I gotta get Windows Share working so that thing will do 1/10th of the things it says it can on the box.

I am guessing that this thing still works for nobody and that is why there were 3 of them in “open box” at Fry’s today.  I’m a network analyst.  There’s something software screwing with me.

Ok, I got it.

Uninstalled Windows Live Essentials - didn’t work

Allowed media streaming (sharing already enabled) - didn’t work

Updated firmware to 1124 - didn’t work

Gave stupid WD box my Admin account - worked

Wow, you have to bypass all security.  Pathetic.  Awful.

Yeah, if i could return this piece of junk, i would…but i’m stuborn to get it to work.  The frustrating thing was I had it working with Newtwork Shares, and then one day i put on the wdtv and it couldn’t get back on the network, only the media shares…which is useless.  So my question to anyone out there is…how do i give the WDTV live an admin account?  I have moderate network knowledge, so if someone can give me some pointers, i’d appreciated it.

My system uses Windows Home sever, and i’ve already made an account for the WDTV on it…that didn’t work…

WDnoWorky wrote:

Ok, I got it.

Uninstalled Windows Live Essentials - didn’t work

Allowed media streaming (sharing already enabled) - didn’t work

Updated firmware to 1124 - didn’t work

My thoughts exactly. If that’s what they mean by “working” it’s not worth it.

WDnoWorky wrote:

Ok, hour 6 of troubleshooting and I’m just going to ask.

Does anybody have this thing working yet?

Windows 7 x64

WD TV Live

Network Share - Windows Share

“Invalid username or password”  - My username and password are correct. 

There are dozens of people with this problem on this forum going back 3 years and various fixes that worked for some of them.

I am guessing that this thing still works for nobody and that is why there were 3 of them in “open box” at Fry’s today.  I’m a network analyst.  There’s something software screwing with me.

That’s 6 hours of your life you won’t get back. Better to plug in local storage in the USB port (works great most of the time) or pitch it back in the krapbox at Fry’s with the rest of 'em.

WDnoWorky wrote:

No, you don’t. What’s stopping your from setting up the regular user ‘WDTV’ who has only acces to your media shares? If you think that’s too complicated, blame Windows:

Password protected sharing is a more secure method of sharing files and folders on a network, and it is enabled by default. If password protected sharing is turned on, people on your network will not be able to access shared folders on other computers on the network, including the Public folders (except on a homegroup), unless they have a user name with password created on the computer that has the shared folders stored on it. They will be prompted to type a user name and password when accessing the shared folders.

To log in anonymously you need to turn off password-protected sharing.

WDnoWorky wrote:

Perhaps you would like to explain how the WD box having your admin info is a serious security hole (since you claim this bypasses all security).  Presumably you are running it on a LAN, and presumably you have secured access to your LAN with a border firewall, since you claim to be a “network analyst.”  So please tell us exactly what attack vector you are concerned about?  If you are worried about attacks originating from within your LAN, then you have many more things to worry about than the WD box.  Windows file sharing (SMB) is not a secure protocol and should never be used over an insecure network (though passwords are encrypted).  Windows shares are also vulnerable to brute force password guessing attacks.  If you are worried about somebody who has physical access to the WD, well again, you have way more to worry about.

As Techflaws very correctly pointed out, it is the share and file security settings on your Windows box that determine how you are allowed to access shares–not the WD boxes.  The WD boxes are simply following the SMB protocol.  Unfortunately, share and file security are quite complicated in Windows, and the vast majority of users don’t understand at all how they work.  You can always create a special non-admin user just for the share files, and set your Windows box up so that user’s credentials are what are required to connect.  This would be the “most secure” setup.  But why would you worry about requiring clients to authenticate to connect to your shares, if the shares are accessible only from  machines on your (secured) LAN?

Note also that if you do web browsing, email reading, etc., using an admin account on your Windows machine, then you are making the machine–and thus your entire LAN–vastly more vulnerable to being compromised by malware.  The single most important thing you can do to secure your LAN in that case would be to quit using the admin account for everyday use.  The fact that your admin credentials were required to connect to the shares suggests that you are in fact routinely using an admin account on your Windows machine.

ncarver,

You have valid points, but why is the WD TV so difficult to network with?

Perform a Google search of “Network problems”,

WD TV network problems: About 13,800,000 results (0.19 seconds)

Boxee Box network problems: About 427,000 results (0.15 seconds)

Popcorn Hour network problems: About 821,000 results (0.17 seconds)

13 Million hits, clearly there’s a problem.

Methinks you doth protest too much.

Ugh, those are meaningless statistics.

Without normalizing those numbers across the respective install-base, it’s meaningless.

I am sure a number of those posts say

“After having numerous network problems with Brand X, I switched to Brand Y.”

Both Brand X and Brand Y will appear in the counts the way you’re searching…

Sure, gotcha, just 13 Million random postings.

rocks911 wrote:

Exactly.   The way you’re searching doesn’t “target”.

Based on the next sentence, this very post will appear in your 13M count.

After having tons of network problems with the Boxee Box, I switched to the WDTV which has never given me any network problems at all.

… when it’s obvious that I’m having problems with the Boxee Box, you’re saying my post supports your position.

It’s just wrong.

And if there’s 10x more WDTVs installed than Boxee Boxes (which I would think may be very true, but have no way to support that assumption) then that means there’s actually far more issues with the Boxee Box than the WDTV.

I recently posted some setup tips elsewhere in the forum, so here you go:

How to resolve Network shares access problems - Western Digital

Here is an instructive video someone put on YouTube regarding setting up a WDTV.  Not sure if I agree with all of it; especially the part about turning off Windows media streaming in Advanced sharing settings of Windows…  What do you folks think?  Any other comments about it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSvrepOa_T4

Mike,

I appreciate your efforts but I’m not wasting the time. I went through this with the last version. I literally spent 40+ hours trying to get the bugs out and never could get it to work. I’m not doing it again.

Boxee Box, and even my Panasonic LCD’s, no problem working with my wired network, WD nothing but problems.

rocks911 wrote:

ncarver,

You have valid points, but why is the WD TV so difficult to network with?

Perform a Google search of “Network problems”,

WD TV network problems: About 13,800,000 results (0.19 seconds)

Boxee Box network problems: About 427,000 results (0.15 seconds)

Popcorn Hour network problems: About 821,000 results (0.17 seconds)

13 Million hits, clearly there’s a problem.

Methinks you doth protest too much.

I’m afraid you have no idea how google works.

Put in “WD TV network problems” (with the quote marks) This only comes up with 1 result which is your recent post. When you put a in a search term it looks for all those terms on the internet and not in any order. 

If you look at the 3rd item in your Google list you will see that its a WD Product Update page.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_live

This makes mention of WD TV and network but there is no mention of problems only issues but for some reason Google makes that page 3rd from the top. Basically it is looking for pages where the individual words are on the same page. Therefore if a page said “The WD TV has absolutely no network problems” that page would be found on your search as would a page that said "I have a WD TV and I have no problem connecting to my network however –

You will also note that Google takes it upon itself to substitute problems with issues in order to get more hits.

not an accurate comparisson

let me count the ways

WD only $99

Boxee was way late to market, had better steaming options, but lacked basic file playback functions

Popcorn hour $200 - $300 depending on version

also the WD is actually available in local stores

popcorn hour is online only

I’d bet there’s been way more WD’s sold than probably any other media streamer

also I’ve noticed a disparity, in that due to the low cost of the WD

there are more novice users that own one

typical popcorn hour users or dune players, etc …

tend to be a little bit more tech savy, they own NAS units, etc

tend to use NSF instead of windows

I’ve personally owned 3 generations of WD players, and no network issues

rocks911 wrote:

Mike,

I appreciate your efforts but I’m not wasting the time. I went through this with the last version. I literally spent 40+ hours trying to get the bugs out and never could get it to work. I’m not doing it again.

Boxee Box, and even my Panasonic LCD’s, no problem working with my wired network, WD nothing but problems.

My message was addressed to ALL readers of this thread; not to you in particular.

I do not care if you want to make your WDTV work correctly like mine and a zillion other units do.  That is your decision.  Just quit griping about it. please, and repeatedly telling us google search proves you right.  Good grief!

Setting up a Windows network to share at all, and then adding a media player into the mix is not for the computer- challenged and faint-hearted, and as was mentioned above, many novices have purchased WDTV players and are totally clueless of what to do with it. We hear from them everyday in here.   I admit, too,  I definitely had my problems at the very beginning with setting up sharing and the WDTV.  Not knowing is one thing, but not trying to know is another thing entirely, and which I have little patience with.

BTW, as you may know, Boxee was a complete product disaster that was discontinued because of poor sales and quality.  The fact that yours works for you is really great.  I am happy for you.  Consider yourself fortunate.

“Lead, follow, or get out of the way.”

rocks911 wrote:

Mike,

Spot on with the Google search. Google is the leader in search for a reason. Heck, forget the 13 million Google hits, just search it here on the forums. Case closed, or just everyone do the Google search, read the results, and make up your own mind. If you have any doubts after that, just call support. THEN they will walk you through mike’s “solution” and when that doesn’t work, they will tell you that WDTV Windows Share will not work on your set-up. Props to Western Digital for honesty. I guess we’re just so used to everything else working in this regard with no time-consuming set-up, that when WDTV doesn’t work, that’s why we waste so much time on it. Would save us all a ton of time to just print it in the manual that it sometimes just does not work

40 hours? Ouch! That gives me a headache just thinking about it. Me and those few million, or maybe it’s just a few hundred thousand, others have felt your pain. You could build your HTPC in 1/10th the time. I don’t have Boxee Box, but like you, all my other devices and phones share folders with my PC and my HTPC and each other with virtually no set up at all. Just works. Like it should.

roscolo wrote:
40 hours? Ouch! That gives me a headache just thinking about it.> * * *

Yeah, probably cause it’s as credible as your interpretation of Google search results.

roscolo wrote:
or maybe it’s just a few hundred thousand, others have felt your pain.> * * *

Few hundred thousand, my a ss!