Network share on a MAC

Running OSX 10.5.8 and cant figure out how to successfully share a folder to my HUB.

Hub is on wireless network and can view videos on youTube and nexflix, but cannot get to network share.

I have searched and searched, and have come up with nothing after hours upon hours of research and fiddleing around.  Can someone please provde either instructions or a link on how to successfully get this to work?  Thank you.

Did you already try what’s suggested in the WD Knowledgebase?

yes I did.  followed the following page

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3788&p_created=1255389750&p_sid=x66xVLhk&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjIsMjImcF9wcm9kcz0yMDgsMzQyJnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0yLjM0MiZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PW5ldHdvcmsgc2hhcmUgbWFj&p_li=&p_topview=1

got to step 5 and “westerndigital” is not listied under Places in my Finder.

where go from here?

It also does not show up under Devices in my Finder either.

It’s not supposed to.  You said you wanted to share your MAC **TO** your WDTV, not the other way around.

System Preferences > Sharing. Is File Sharing checked? Have you created a list of ‘Shared Folders’?

I’m sharing a folder on the mac, plus two firewire drives. I also have a My Book World Edition on the network.

I used the Automatic network setup on the Hub, and it was connected before I put down the remote.

Double check that your MAC and WDTV live Hub are in the same workgroup. If not rename either the workgroup from your Mac or WDTV.

Workgroup??? How? I’m a dolt. Don’t understand.

I’m having the same isse I think.  Cannot get the WD and my MAC running OSX 10.4.11 to network/connect/sync.  I’ve clicked the shared folders option but to no avail.  I get “Unable to connect to the selece source” message.  Help?

-R

10.4 is Tiger, which could be the problem. The user manual states compatability with Leopard and Snow Leopard. You might try installing the SharePoints Preference Pane. That will let Tiger share files via SMB, but it might take a while to configure.  I had to do that to run another media player when I still ran OSX 10.4. And I’m just guessing here…

I had similar problems with Snow Leopard. After updating firmware to version 2.03.24 sharing started to work. Check also following topic:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub/FIX-for-mac-sharing-for-you/m-p/88241

SMB?  Could you please explain?  I really appreciate any and all help… but

l10rdr33f4 wrote:

10.4 is Tiger, which could be the problem. The user manual states compatability with Leopard and Snow Leopard. You might try installing the SharePoints Preference Pane. That will let Tiger share files via SMB, but it might take a while to configure.  I had to do that to run another media player when I still ran OSX 10.4. And I’m just guessing here…

I’m a but behind in my innner Mac workings for such setting and functionality.  I have Sharepoints now… but using it doesn’t seem straight forward to me…

-B

No, configuring SharePoints isn’t straightforward. You will have to do some research into computer networking, as I did. SMB refers to Samba, a file sharing system for Windows machines. The Hub doesn’t speak Macanese, so hopefully SharePoints will translate for you.

I don’t have any machines running SharePoints anymore, so I can’t tell you exactly what to do.