Network Share issues

Hi all,

I have an annoying problem with my WD HDTV Live Mediaplayer which serves as the feeder for a digital projector. Until about a month ago everything ran smoothly. Then I moved and got another router from a new provider. All the machines are connected via a wired Gigabit network. The necessary changes were minimal (the internal network range was 192.168.0.xxx instead of the previous 192.168.1.xxx). Accordingly I changed the IP’s on all my machines including the WD device (it is set to fixed IP) together with the necessary adjustments in DNS and Gateway.

Now, I have all my files on a WHS 2011 with all the shares properly set up (again, it worked smoothly in the old setting), and the usernames or passwords have not changed for any machine.

From my regular machines (running Win 7 or Win 8.1 respectively) I can access the WHS without problems, and all network shares are easily accessible (as expected). When I set up the WD it first went fine. It can access the internet (network check is fine including firmware check to the most recent version). I can also ping the WD from any device in my network (including the router) without any problems.

When I try to access the Windows network shares of my WHS from the WD, it constantly shows the “please wait” signal with the arrow turning circles without end and no result. I once even tried to wait longer, but even after 15 minutes there was no result.

The Mediaserver works fine if I turn it on on my WHS (then the WD can see what is there over the network), but still not the network shares. Since I need not only the mediaserver, but also the network shares, this is a quite annoying problem.

A removable USB HDD plugged into the WD works fine and without any problems. I can copy the necessary files to this drive and then everything works fine, but this is a quite awkward and unsatisfactory workaround.

Does anyone has an idea concerning solving this issue?

Thanks

hdtv13

Welcome to the Community.

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Support by Country
http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp

Regards,

hdtv13 wrote:
Then I moved and got another router from a new provider. All the machines are connected via a wired Gigabit network. The necessary changes were minimal (the internal network range was 192.168.0.xxx instead of the previous 192.168.1.xxx). Accordingly I changed the IP’s on all my machines i

Are the settings of the new router locked down or why didn’t you change just it to your old network range rather than all machines to the new one?

At first I thought they were locked, and thus I changed it. Later on I learned that it could be changed, but then all the other settings had already been changed…

Thanks

Trancer wrote:

Welcome to the Community.

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

Thanks for the welcome - and yes, I should have introduced myself first. Apologies for that.

I’ll try the WD support if nobody has a good idea what I’d check to fix it.

Thanks

hdtv13

It’s not just you. I’m having the same problem. The looking for shares arrow should not spin forever.

If it can’t find a share it should stop and tell you? That is the first clue that something is glitched in the WD 

software.

I can unplug it from the power let it reset and then it will find my server again just like it always did.

I am now thinking of rolling back to an earlier firmware and see it that fixes it untill, hopefully the next

update addresses this glitch?

This is a great product but it needs a fix on the windows share lock in!

Hopefully very soon!

m.

mpgalloway wrote:

It’s not just you. I’m having the same problem. The looking for shares arrow should not spin forever.

If it can’t find a share it should stop and tell you? That is the first clue that something is glitched in the WD 

software.

I can unplug it from the power let it reset and then it will find my server again just like it always did.

Unfortunately unplugging does not work for me. I re-started the WD several times (using the internal “restart” option) and even unplugged it from the power cable, but nothing of this helped.

Did you unplug it “hot” (i.e. while it was running) or “cold” (after it was shut down)?

I fear the WD support may be the only option.

Thanks anyway

hdtv13

Hi all,

I had an interesting (though still somewhat puzzling) experience today. As outlined above, the player had serious issues with finding the Windows network shares.

I had set up the network configuration manually, with the aforementioned results.

Now today, I made an attempt of an auto-configuration for the WD player. In the end, only the IP had changed with the Gateway and DNS remaining the same (obviously), as I checked that immediately.

But now, the device was able to see the shares without any problems! Really weird, but it seems that this active search for configuration rather than the one entered manually did the trick. For whatever reason though…

hdtv13