Network Share issue

HI. I’m ok posting here:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Aron>nbtstat -a aronsdesktop-pc

Local Area Connection 2:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.100] Scope Id:

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name               Type         Status
    ---------------------------------------------
    ARONSDESKTOP-PC<00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    WORKGROUP      <00>  GROUP       Registered
    ARONSDESKTOP-PC<20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    WORKGROUP      <1E>  GROUP       Registered
    WORKGROUP      <1D>  UNIQUE      Registered
    …__MSBROWSE__.<01>  GROUP       Registered

MAC Address = 00-1B-FC-63-35-1F

Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id:

Host not found.

Wireless Network Connection:

Host not found.

C:\Users\Aron>

and

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Aron>nbtstat -a WDTVLIVE

Local Area Connection 2:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.100] Scope Id:

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name               Type         Status
    ---------------------------------------------
    WDTVLIVE       <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    WDTVLIVE       <03>  UNIQUE      Registered
    WDTVLIVE       <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    WORKGROUP      <1E>  GROUP       Registered
    WORKGROUP      <00>  GROUP       Registered

MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00

Local Area Connection:

Host not found.

Wireless Network Connection:

Host not found.

C:\Users\Aron>

Thanks

Well, THAT’S surprising…  You have a correctly identified Master Browser, and it’s running on the aronsdesktop-pc system.

That’s usually the best of all circumstances…    So, in that condition, the WDTV isn’t seeing ANY servers under Network Shares??

One thing I do note is that the name of your PC is the LONGEST possible name.   

I wonder what might happen if you shorten the name?

The wdtv does see the servers in network shares. But when I click on the apprpopriate icon,  it asks for userid and password, which I leave at default, and blank for password, and then get the message" the network shares cannot be accessed". That is the problem. I cannot get past the signin sccreen in Network shares.

The only way to dig into this further will be to run Wireshark on one of your sharing PCs so we can see the actual exchanges between the WDTV and the server…

See the post  http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/How-to-run-WIRESHARK/m-p/33862/highlight/true#M3080

and check your PMs.  I’ve sent you further instructions on where to send the data.

Thanks very much for your help. I think I will stop trying to get network shares to work. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I have most of the Windows live apps on my PC. I don’t, however, have live signin assistant which I’ve read can be a problem. As I previosly indicated, I am willing to live with accessing media server. However when  I added some videos to my flipshare directory,  the WD media player,  does not see the recent additions. I have tried everything I can think of, and nothing works. I’ve disconnected and re-connected WD live, reset WD live, rebooted my PC, rebooted modem and router to no avail. Any suggestions?

alstein wrote:

Thanks very much for your help. I think I will stop trying to get network shares to work. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I have most of the Windows live apps on my PC. I don’t, however, have live signin assistant which I’ve read can be a problem. As I previosly indicated, I am willing to live with accessing media server. However when  I added some videos to my flipshare directory,  the WD media player,  does not see the recent additions. I have tried everything I can think of, and nothing works. I’ve disconnected and re-connected WD live, reset WD live, rebooted my PC, rebooted modem and router to no avail. Any suggestions?

Speaking of naming conventions, it is possible that the WD TV may be having an issue with the dash in your name.

I will change the name and see if it makes a difference. Thanks.

I shortened the name and removed the hyphen. No difference. Now when I try to access the server, the “waiting icon” just keeps turning for several minutes and then it says - no folders in server.