Network Share cannot connect!

New user, set up the WDLive. It can connect to my Win7 PC through ‘Media Server’ but I can’t get access to content through ‘Network Shares.’

When I go into the menu for ‘Content Source’ and click ‘Network Share’, I first see the option ‘Windows Shares.’ When I click that, I get the option ‘WRT610’ (my router). When I click on that, it asks me for the username/password for the router. When I enter the properusername/ password, it tells me that it is not valid, even though it is and I retry multiple times.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong here? I tried turning off the Homegroup, that didn’t seem to work. Do I need to change configurations in the router firmware, or change anything else on my local PC?

Try checking the following steps to share a folder from a Windows PC. 

How to share a folder in Windows that can be viewed with the WD TV Live, Live Streaming, Live Hub, or Live Plus 

Try checking the following steps to share a folder from a Windows PC. 

How to share a folder in Windows that can be viewed with the WD TV Live, Live Streaming, Live Hub, o… 

Click the Kudos star on the left to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the ‘Accept as Solution’ button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.

Thanks but I’ve already been through that process. I can see the folders when I connect as a ‘Media Server’, but cannot access anything as a ‘Network Share.’ I want to connect as a Network share so that the WDLive will read ISO files.

I have also gone through the process as shown in this user-created video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16_ZDO9gano

but that too did not do the trick.

I have been searching these forums and have seen that other people have had somewhat similar problems in accessing network shares, but nothing identical to mine and have not found a solution.

I am wondering if there is some problem with router configuration or incompatibility. I have a Linksys WRT610N.

I am a little surprised at the lack of clear documentation from WD regarding network setup, and also surprised that there is not any type of sticky thread on this forum titled ‘How to configure your network for WDLIve’ or ‘Configuring for Network Share’ or ‘Known issues in WDLIve Network Connectivity with Network shares’ etc.

Asq2a wrote:

New user, set up the WDLive. It can connect to my Win7 PC through ‘Media Server’ but I can’t get access to content through ‘Network Shares.’

When I go into the menu for ‘Content Source’ and click ‘Network Share’, I first see the option ‘Windows Shares.’ When I click that, I get the option ‘WRT610’ (my router). When I click on that, it asks me for the username/password for the router. When I enter the properusername/ password, it tells me that it is not valid, even though it is and I retry multiple times.

I made the same mistake when I first setup my WD TV Live, networking is quite confusing if you’ve not used it before and I’ve had huge problems with it over the last two weeks. I think where you are going wrong is that you are trying to connect to your Router! You should be connecting to your PC instead.

I don’t know what your PC is called but mine shows in the list as ‘ASUS’ my router is listed below as ‘TECHNICOLORGATEWAY’

I’ve noticed that sometimes it can take a while for your Network PC to show in this list, often all I see is my Router for the first 30 seconds or so!

Hope this helps! :smiley:

Also try watching this video, this was the one that finally got my shares working! It’s much more in depth than the other one but still easy to follow. :slight_smile:

Set Up WDTV Live and Live Plus File Sharing with Windows 7

Best of luck!

Still not working.

Followed the video, no luck.

I even installed the PS3 media server which is mentioned in the video as a way to connect, that didn’t work either.

One other problem I just noticed: the WD Live does not connect to the internet either.

It is there on my Win 7 network, can read files as a media server, etc. But

1. no network share connection

2. no internet connection

Networking with this product seems incredibly difficult, to say the least. My impression is that the people who have problems and then are able to make it work just kind of randomly fiddle around and get lucky.

Change the name of the Workgroup on the router to something different. Example if your PC and WD are Workgroup then change router to WorkgroupA