Network password?

Man as quick as the WD stopped asking for password and username for windows share it started asking again ?

Was having a problem with WD wanting a valid username and password which my network doesnt have and no matter what I did it wouldnt accept anything. Then one day it stopped asking for it and now last nite started asking again?

Has anyone else encountered this problem ? Any help would be greatly appreciated , seems I spend more time on these forums trying to get the device working than actually watching anything on it

1 Like

Check if the steps from the guide below are useful for you. 

http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-7/disable-password-protected-sharing/

Why im so confused as I have password protection turned off and even shows on win 7 that WDLive  has all access to shares but for some friggin reason the wd still wants this phantom password which doesnt exist. Must be a bug on the WD cant see any other reason. ONly option now is try putting a password on the network and if that doesnt work return it because if I cant access my network shares then its useless to me. Shouldve got a Boxee BOx I guess as that never gave me problems like this one.

So if you keep the defaults, which is “Anonymous” and a blank password, it still says that you can’t connect?

yes

I know user was anonymous but to tell you the truth password usually had it filled in with something default. I dont think I have tried erasing it so nothing was there. I will give that a try tonite after work thank you for the reply both of you I appreciate the help. “Crosses fingers”

Just FYI, it will always display “dots” in the password field, even if it’s blank.  But it’s still worth a try to erase it…

Maybe you are one of the lucky ones?

Mineonly asked for a password once despite finding everything on my network a few times and days of frutsrating finding nothing for a few hundred reboots, and factory resets, I never got another network password input capability over three weeksof trials every day. Sometimes shares would just show up but most of the time one laptop public shares would show up via network switch, router and WiFi. That was usually the only share that would show up despite being an empty directory. This firmware just forgets things at random. Most frustrating netwrok junk I have experiencedin my 20 years as anetwrok manager. Box went back before the receipt timer ran out.

The key to successful netwroking for this box is to turn it on only on odd CPU clock cycles at the biginning of a NOP machine cycle. Funny thing is wheni plugged in a portable HDD into this box. after theintial hour of rebooting and resetting to map the drive, it was accessible from 15 network devices inmy home. I could read, write, modify and rename files from cell phones. It workedlike a charm. Meanwhile it couldn’t find a shared folder or directory on Win 7, XP or 2000 reliably if it’s life depended on it. It did and became $100 credit on my VISA card. Nice box but after xbmc I can’t tolerate this kind of  amateur attempts at software anymore. Too bad. I will be watching for future revisons (maybe past v1) where the negative comment feedback  don’t magcally disappear on forums. This indicates a manufacturer that actually wants to make a good product. It will come or it will go.

LarryLLix wrote:

Maybe you are one of the lucky ones?

Mineonly asked for a password once despite finding everything on my network a few times and days of frutsrating finding nothing for a few hundred reboots, and factory resets, I never got another network password input capability over three weeksof trials every day. Sometimes shares would just show up but most of the time one laptop public shares would show up via network switch, router and WiFi. That was usually the only share that would show up despite being an empty directory. This firmware just forgets things at random. Most frustrating netwrok junk I have experiencedin my 20 years as anetwrok manager. 

If it never asked for a password again, it’s because you told it not to.  If you don’t tell it to “Remember” the passwords, then it will ask for a password EVERY time.

You could have gone to the Network Setup and told it to clear the login info.

Most frustrating netwrok [sic] junk I have experiencedin [sic] my 20 years as anetwrok [double sic] manager. 

Holy cr-ap.  You must not have done much in that 20 years…  I’ve been designing and implementing networks for over 20 years and there’s no comparison!  :smileyvery-happy:

negative comment feedback  don’t magcally disappear on forums. 

I’ve never seen it happen here once.

This indicates a manufacturer that actually wants to make a good product. 

Your logic is backwards, no?

… reading the rest of your posts, you’re obviously being a troll, and every accusation you make is easily disproven.

Woot well I tried entering in the password by just using backspaces and it worked ) my shares are back up hopefully it wont come up again “crosses fingers” Thank you for the help in resolving this for me

If some answer were offered instead of insults being a shill would ot be made quite so obvious. There is a reason so many posts report the same thing with this box. Even if a few of hese menu options for networking were actually in the menus your comments might make more sense and appear more intelligent. Perhaps more insults could help the readers establish your status. ooops… already done.

BTW: When it comes to negative posts disappearing. I don’t see any of them either. Thanks for the confirmations of what I suspected. You have been so helpful.

LarryLLix wrote:

If some answer were offered instead of insults being a shill would ot be made quite so obvious.

Maybe if you were actually to have ASKED a question, answers would be offered.  You have asked no questions.

You registered here ONLY to complain, beginning with your first post complaining about registering.

You also registered AFTER you returned your product, rendering answers moot.

But I did explain your first complaint in this thread, so I’m not sure what you’re trying to accomplish now.

Shed some light?

Hmm well got the Network Password resolved ok but now my avi’s are stutttering and have no sound. Had that problem before but was fixed when I went wired instead of wireless with the WD Livewire. Now all of a sudden after correcting the network password aviu files no longer play. So wierd I really look forward to one day actually watching my content on this.

Moviebuff:   That issue was reported a while back and it does appear to NOT be fixed yet in this version.

OK thanx hopefully we see a fix from WD . Looked on the forums and this issue looks quite old now.

Well that didnt last long now it wants the password and username and no longer does having it blank work it continues to ask me. As usual on the forums instead of watching anything. Its actually  funny the wife was complaining and I was laughing . All you can really do at this point .

Hi All,

I’ve recently found how to successfully share folders to the WD TV Live (etc) from Windows 7 Bit.

Basically it seems like the Homegroup wrecks the SMB sharing.  I was able to see the folders but kept getting stuck at the login stage like everyone else.

Follow the steps on this link…

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=63123

(The writer left out the “file sharing connections” section - 5th from the top - which I left on 128bit)!!

I hope this helps.