Network Name Cannot Be Found

When I log onto my drive via WD2GO it allows me to se the shares … when attempting to open the shared folders an error comes up stating “the network name cannot be found”

The OS is XP with IE8 and java is installed

Can you explain what the problem might be?

First time I see this in here o.o

2 Likes

I just tried to log in to the drive again and it did allow me to open one private share in an explorer window

I tried to open the “public share” and it errored out, sorry I did not get the message

Disconnected the previous connection to my private share and then could not get back in, the error in my original post above appeared again

Strange but true…

I had this problem as well, it seems to be due to a Microsoft security update that affects the WebDav service.  To fix it, go to C:\Windows\inf and find the file netdav.inf.  Right-click this file and use ‘Open with’ to open it in Notepad.  When it is open, find the lines

[WebClient.AddService]
DisplayName = %WebClient.ServiceDisplayName%
ServiceType = 0x20

and change the ServiceType=0x20 to

ServiceType=0x10

Click on File-> Save to save the file and reboot your PC, the Wd2Go interface should now work (if not, check the WebClient service is also stared, this can be found under Administrative Tools in the Control Panel, look under Computer Management, the Services and Application and click on Services).

THis resolved my issue as well.  Thanks!!!

I’m getting the same message, using Windows 7, but I don’t see a file netdav.inf.  (The Web Client Serivice is running.)

Same issue here. Windows 7 64-bit. No netdav.inf. “Network name cannot be found.”

Same. Win7 32bit. No netdav.inf Help? I only have this when trying to access through the website access option by authorizing user by email. Tried different browsers, updates, restarts, nothing.

Same issue here. WD2Go works fine from my iPhone and from my Mac Pro. But when acessing from my Windows 7 x64 I get the “Network name cannot be found” message when trying to open any of the existing shares.

I tried disabling the windows firewall and everything running from Norton, i.e., firewall, antivirus, anti malware, …

I have the latest Java freshly downloaded and installed.

Nothing seems to make the problem go away which is very annoying because I bought the WD MyBookLive specifically to access the drive from my Windows 7 laptop.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

I also have this issue. I can connect fine using wd3go while at home on my network but not when I am away from my home network. Windows 7.

I’m having the same problem running Win 7 Pro and looking for a fix as well.

Having the same issue here. Win7Pro, 32bits. 

By the way, the Public, SmartWare and TimeMachineBackup shares that were originally installed DO work, but not shares that I made myself.

(also tried the NetDav.inf-trick, although there was none in my windows dir, I just made one - but it didn’t work)

[edit 2 jan '13] … and today, all of a sudden, it just worked! Don’t know what got it to work…

Having the same issue. Win7Pro, 64bits. 

As another people, the Public, SmartWare and TimeMachineBackup shares that were originally installed DO work, but not shares that I made myself.

¿any solution?

I’m having the same problem

Shares were created on w7 x64, but the problem happens accessing through work (Vista) and home (w7). Other shares created a few days earlier appear fine. Help?!

interesting, setting it to private and saving stopped this error. Error still stopped when resetting it to all users and saving.

ajones17 wrote:

I had this problem as well, it seems to be due to a Microsoft security update that affects the WebDav service.  To fix it, go to C:\Windows\inf and find the file netdav.inf.  Right-click this file and use ‘Open with’ to open it in Notepad.  When it is open, find the lines

[WebClient.AddService]
ServiceType = 0x20

and change the ServiceType=0x20 to

ServiceType=0x10

Click on File-> Save to save the file and reboot your PC, the Wd2Go interface should now work (if not, check the WebClient service is also stared, this can be found under Administrative Tools in the Control Panel, look under Computer Management, the Services and Application and click on Services).

I tried this fix on my Dell Dimension XP destop and it worked fine. I did the same fix on my Dell Inspiron XP notebook and it did not fix the problem.

After fooling with it for a while, I finally copied the netdav.inf file from the desktop to the notebook and that fixed it. There must have been something different in the original file on the notebook but I could not find it.

Same problem with windows 7 and the last version of Java.
Do u have an idea?

Hi All

I - ofcourse - had this issue too and fixed it the following way:

• create netdav.inf file as mentioned before in this thread:

[WebClient.AddService]
ServiceType = 0x10

• For win7 64bit, you have to place this file in the following directories

• c:\Windows\System32\

• c:\Windows\SysWOW64\

• reboot your system and try again

My remaining problem is the following:

• I connect via the web  → SUCCESS

• I disconnect to grab a bite

• I reconnect → TIMOUT

• I reboot the device 

• I reconnect → SUCCESS

As I cannot forward port 80 on my ISP Router, I cannot reboot remotely… leaving me with a not-so-good solution.

-------------------- NOTE FOR WESTERN DIGITAL -------------------------

I bought my device yesterday and I worked on it for 8hours to get everything up and running:

this is what I needed to do, if it was in a manual, it can be done in 15minutes, don’t we love “The Internet”

So far for plug’n’play - What about a sticky forum post…

• firmware upgrade

• ssh connection factoryrestore without format

• fix the netdav

Best regards

Wim