Network Link Down Alerts

I have a My Cloud EX2 Ultra 12Tb unit. Recently I am seeing random alerts for Network Link Down. The event type is 1002 and the message reads “The network link is down or has become intermittent. Check your network connection”. I have the EX2 plugged directly into a 1Gb port of my ASUS RT-AC88U router. Have moved the network cable (and changed it out) to another port. The ASUS router’s logs don’t show any corresponding network events for the time and date in question on the My Cloud.

I had opened a ticket with WD and the technician did not believe it is anything to be concerned. He said it could be related to power fluctuations. I have my router and My Cloud connected to a Cyberpower battery backup system so I don’t believe the power fluctuations is valid.

Is anyone having similar issues. Thanks

Hi,

Please refer to the given below KBA link:

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25150

Thank you for the follow up. I have performed all the recommended technical steps. Checked Ethernet cable, swapped it out, and moved the connection
to another port on my router. One suggestion I don’t fully understand is “The Port on the router is detected”. Not sure what that means or how to resolve this
issue.

Thanks
John Fulton

I think it means “defective” but who know with all the Chinglish in these instructions!

I don’t have the Ultra, but my EX2 has become unreliable also.
WD error logs
|2020 Sep 24 16:49:05|SAMBA|CIFS: Authentication for user [b] has FAILED.|
|2020 Sep 24 16:48:37|SYSTEM|Power loss detected on port 1.|
|2020 Sep 24 16:25:18|SYSTEM|The network link is down or has become intermittent. Check your network connection.|

win10 logs had this error:
The certificate received from the remote server does not contain the expected name. It is therefore not possible to determine whether we are connecting to the correct server. The server name we were expecting is 192.168.0.19. The TLS connection request has failed. The attached data contains the server certificate.

Is there some sort of cert on the WD’s that needs to be kept updated in step with all the security https and TLS updates being implemented in browsers?

thanks,

I have performed all the recommended technical steps. Checked Ethernet cable, swapped it out, and moved the connection to another port on my router.

I’m having the same problems.
While troubleshooting, noticed even with Public not avail over network, WD was still pingable.

Stumbled across this article: How to Map a WD Network Drive on Windows 10 and Windows 11

• Created non-admin account on WD (seems to have created private share at the same time)
  • Mount that dir in win10
  • It’s been 1.5 days and (fingers crossed), WD hasn’t had network interface problem (yet).

When this was happening, did you have to reboot to get WD device accessible again? Or was it only in the logs?

It required a hard reboot. Pressing the reset button didn’t work at all.
It has locked up once since I make the non-admin account.
I don’t remember exactly what I did to cause the problem. I believe it had something to do with futzing around with permissions, or cookies from one (or both) win10 boxes which were accessing the WD at the same time. I’m pretty sure I caused the non-availability to happen.

It used to repeatedly drop off the network in the middle of the night-causing backups to fail, or in the middle of the day when trying to get work done. So I believe I am making progress. Just wish I could nail down the root cause.

Beil,

Really appreciate the info! I’m sorry to hear it, but glad you’re making progress.

We have a device we lose network access to daily, and it requires a hard reboot to get it accessible on the network again. There’s only a single Mac and PC that access it on the local network. It’s on the latest firmware. Pretty baffling. WD support just wants to replace the whole thing, but I’m afraid we’d go through all that to only have it happen on new one. It’s plugged into SonicWall firewall.

Same issue here with backups failing in middle of night.

Did you try creating a non-admin account, and mounting that directory?

Another tidbit:
When trying to access the non-admin directory via GUI (i.e. https://idp.mycloud.com/…), get error:
The server encountered an unexpected error which prevented it from completing your request. Please close this window and start the sign in process again.

Yet on same win10 box, I can change to that mount point and see the directory via file manager

When I connect via file manager, info logs show:
2020 Oct 5 16:08:49 SAMBA CIFS: [ipv4:192.168.0.6:49684] connected to as user .

Yet there is no error from failed GUI connection.

Anyone know which directory the WD log files are located? Can that directory be mounted so the log files can be read if the GUI is unresponsive?

Did it to me again. Fell off the network in the middle of the day.
Win10 logs show these events about the time of the problem:

Looks like windows ran an auto-update at that time:
15:26 Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Version 1.325.414.0)

information Security-SPP:
Offline downlevel migration succeeded.

Destroyed Desktop AppX container 77e4e816-0945-11eb-9658-d8d385825225 for package Microsoft.SkypeApp_15.64.80.0_x86__kzf8qxf38zg5c.

Microsoft.SkypeApp_15.64.80.0_x86__kzf8qxf38zg5c!App.AppXtwmqn4em5r5dpafgj4t4yyxgjfe0hr50.mca did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.