Network issues with 2 WDTV Live Hubs on the same wireless network

I have 2 WDTV Live Hubs.  For the most part, they work really well, and they perform as I would like them to.  I have both of them hooked up to my wireless network.  One is downstairs on my family room TV, and the other is connected to my Bedroom TV.

My WDTV Live Hubs frequently lose the content source of my desktop PC, where my media is stored.  I get the message that I need to select a new content source.  When both of my WDTV Live Hubs are connected to the network, the only available option under “Network Shares” is the other WDTV Live Hub. 

The only workaround I have discovered is that I have to unplug the USB Network card from the other WDTV Live Hub, then try to discover the “Network Share” again.  Only then will it find my Desktop, and allow me access to my media.  I can then plug in the 2nd WDTV Live Hub’s wireless USB network card, and everything works great on both of them in streaming media from my Desktop to either of the WDTV Live Hubs. 

Inevetably, with a couple of days, one of my WDTV Live Hub’s will lose the network connection to my Desktop, and I have to repeat the process.

Is this a known issue?  Also, is there a fix for this?  I wish there was a way to fully manually refresh the “Network Share” connections, so that my Desktop can be discovered without the need to unplug the other WDTV Live Hub’s wireless USB Network Card.

Have you given the Hubs different names on the nwtwork?

Yes,

One is called “WDTVlivehubmain” and the other is called “WDTVlivehubed.”

I am running the most updated firmware on both devices.

One unit is about 1 year older than the other.

I am running different USB wireless network cards for each.

In the one that has the most difficulty, I am running the ASUS Wireless N v1.0 usb network card.

In the one that functions better, I am running a non-supported Belkin N300 usb network card. (tried like 6 at BestBuy, this was the only one in the lot that would pick up the wireless signal in the store).

I got tired of messing with the lost connections, and slow wireless transfer rates.

I spent the weekend wiring my CAT5e throughout my house, and now both WDTV Live Hubs are wired, and connected at 1000mb speeds (probably slightly lower with actual speed).  No more mixups with the devices, and content streams from my internet and my desktop without inturruption, at full resolution.

I think thats really how these media boxes were designed to operate.

redsavina wrote:

I got tired of messing with the lost connections, and slow wireless transfer rates.

I spent the weekend wiring my CAT5e throughout my house, . . . .

I think thats really how these media boxes were designed to operate.

You got that right!  I have had a pre-wired Cat5e-wired home from the get go for over 10 years, and everything in home that can be wired-connected, is.  Added a DOCCIS 3 modem and upgraded all network devices (router, switches, etc)  to gigabit a few months back, and that helps, too. If one is streaming 1080p video, wireless just doesn’t do it in all cases – even if the wireless is top-notch in the home.  Mine is, and most of the time wireless works OK whenever I have tested it for streaming to/from WD player, but sometimes it doesn’t. 

Add in streaming to/from iPads, nowadays, and 5G wireless is also essential.  The better the home network, the better the streaming quality.