Netgear Orbi

We have very poor wifi in our house with the router we were using. I switched to Orbi and my MyCloud is plugged in to the main router. I am on a macbook and an imac and both cannot see the MyCloud device on the network now. Anyone else have this issue and know how to fix it?

Are the devices that connect to the Orbi using the same IP address range (for example 192.168.1.x) as the My Cloud?

Bennor’s advice is correct but somewhat technical.

I have the EXACT same setup - I bought both the Orbi and MyCloud this week.

1. You need to go to the Orbi login - www.orbilogin.com
  • If you haven’t changed it the login is “admin” and “password” is the password.
  1. Go to the Attached Devices page.
  • The Orbi is likely giving your MyCloud a IP address in the range of 172.16.0.xxx
  • The IP address of your prior router was probably different.
  • The Orbi - like most routers - has a “DNS Server” - this domain name server gives each attached device an address so it can route the correct data to the correct device. Your MyCloud NAS or network attached storage device gets an IP address from the Orbi.

If you had hard coded the IP address into the MyCloud, that IP address is unable to be seen and controlled by the current router.

Here’s how to change the “hard coded IP address”.
A) Its probably easiest to reinstall the prior router, let it boot up, shut down and restart a computer into the router and shut down and restart the MyCloud device into the router.
B) Access the MyCloud webpage:

• ◦Windows: http://wdmycloud/
    C) Go to the “Settings” page, click on the “Network” tab.
    D) The “Network Services” is where the IP address is shown or changed.
  • Click on the “DHCP” button to have the WD MyCloud receive the domain address from the router.
    E) Lastly you need to shut down these temporary devices, and reinstall the WD MyCloud into the Orbi router and…

hopefully you can discover the WD MyCloud on your new (awesome) Orbi network.

Don’t have the Orbi but why not change the IP address on it instead of the MyCloud? I use static IPs for all of my connected devices, while wireless devices get DHCP