NETGEAR EVAW111 Wireless USB Adapter for Digital Entertainer Live

Has anyone used the “EVAW111-100WWS, NETGEAR EVAW111 Wireless USB Adapter for Digital Entertainer Live” with WD TV Live Hub?

I am totally new to the WD TV Live Hub having just purchased it last week. I have upgraded the Firmware to 2.06.10 and am happy with the results from my video DVDs transferred by USB but still have a bit to learn in refining my ‘folders’.

I see it is listed in KB Answer ID 5688 and I note that the Netgear EVA2000 Digital entertainer Live is similar to the WD TV Live Hub in that it will “Play your movies, music and photo collections stored on USB storage devices and computers right on your TV” but without the HDD storage.

Would appreciate any first hand advice. BTW - I do not want to use Powerline AV if I can avoid it.

Cheers … Mike.

The wireless adapter will just allow WiFi with the Hub, nothing more, nothing less. You’ll still have to configure on your computer the permissions for the sharing and the broadcast of a server.

ThePizzaMatrix wrote:

…You’ll still have to configure on your computer the permissions for the sharing and the broadcast of a server.

Thanks for your reply and I think you have also raised another question.

Irrespective of which USB wireless adapter I use [providing it is one that is supported] when I initially take it ‘out of the box’ do I first plug the USB  into the computer to configure it and then plug it into the WD TV Hub or do I plug it straight into the Hub and start from there?

Sorry to be so dumb :wink:

You’re not dumb, you have the right to ask any question as long as you really want to know the answer. You’ll have to connect the USB adapter to the Hub and then go to setup> network settings> network setup to configure the adapter. After that is done and testing the connection is done under setup> network settings> check connection, then your Hub should have internet access for the services like Netflix, YouTube, etc.

Your wireless adapter is in the compatible list but the firmware revision is not listed, it can be an older model of your adapter or a newer version, try it out and see.

The next step (If you want to stream from your computer) is to go to your computer to create the shares to stream or configure your media server (Twonky, PlayOn, TVersity, Orb, etc.) to allow the files to be seen by the Hub.

1 Like

Thanks “Pizza”.

ThePizzaMatrix wrote:

…You’ll have to connect the USB adapter to the Hub and then go to setup> network settings> network setup to configure the adapter. After that is done and testing the connection is done under setup> network settings> check connection, then your Hub should have internet access for the services like Netflix, YouTube, etc…

You set me on the right path and all is working OK.:smileyvery-happy:

FWIW - I realised that my ADSL2+ Netgear Wireless Modem Router was only ‘g’ and that I did not need a ‘fast’ USB adapter so bought the D-Link N-150 Wireless USB adapter DWA-125 vA2 which is on the list - also cheaper.

I ignored all the D-Link provided installation advice and plugged it straight into the Hub. Went to Setup and followed the prompts. Worked first time including giving me the weather and telling me the moon is out in Irvine, USA:dizzy_face: Now to find Sydney, Australia.

Thanks again…

Any time :slight_smile:

Cheers!

I have been using Monoprice USB Wireless LAN 802.11N Adapter - 2T2R (300Mbps) http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10501&cs_id=1050109&p_id=8075&seq=1&format=2 without any issues. Speeds are good, it’s cheap and reliable.