Netflix Video Solution

Hi , Newbee here.  spent all morning trying to get Netflix to work on my WD TV Live Plus. I finally got it figured out.

1. Netflix blames WD

2. Now WD is blaming your TV for not being able to decode HDCP (High Definition Copy Protection) when using the HDMI connection.

3. Netflix works when using component connections which are analog but max out at 720p. This is not exactly what I bought the WD for.

Hummm…

Here’s the deal. My TV is a recently bought 52" Toshiba. I doubt there is something wrong with it. There are 3 HDMI ports and I have always been able to view HDMI connected media from Blu-ray and DISH Network. That media starts out as HDCP encoded. I haven’t read my TV manual recently, but for the sake of experimentation, I swapped inputs. DISH was working fine on HDMI1 WD w as on HDMI2 and unable to view Netflix. After switching, Netflix majically worked. Apparently not all HDMI inputs are created equally on my Toshiba. BTW DISH works just fine in HD on HDMI2.

So problen solved… NOT!

WD is handing us a cop-out (unless otherwise informed). The problem is not entirely the fault of the TV. The HDCP could be removed in the box BEFORE placing the signal on the HDMI output. I believe other media providers incorporate this into their consumer products. Why not WD?

Never-the-less, now I’m a happy camper.

Comments welcome.

Hang on… you changed HDMI inputs, which made it work, yet WD is still to blame and not your TV for having weird HDMI inputs?

As for removing HDCP from Netflix streams… I seriously doubt Netflix would allow that.

Thanks for the heads-up on the possible workaround though, very interesting!  :)

Hi Grant, This is what I meant by this being a WD issue. I’m lucky my TV is new and fancy enough to decode HDCP. Not all WD users are so lucky. Do a search on this forum (Netflix video). Pages of complaints starting back in June '10.  Other Netflix devices work for them, but not WD. However it may be that WD is the only HDMI connected device.

stoc1173 wrote:

Hi Grant, This is what I meant by this being a WD issue. I’m lucky my TV is new and fancy enough to decode HDCP. Not all WD users are so lucky. Do a search on this forum (Netflix video). Pages of complaints starting back in June '10.  Other Netflix devices work for them, but not WD. However it may be that WD is the only HDMI connected device.

I think you missed PixelPower’s point. No HDCP then no NetFlix. WD have to abide by the rules set down by the content owners/distibutors.

If you want to learn more about HDCP and why WD has to do it this way then read up hear- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP

Take note of this quote from the licensing requirements- “frustrate attempts to defeat the content protection requirements”; 

I think the problem is a combination of slightly loose interpretations of standards by some TV manufacturers and overly-rigid adherence to those standards by WD (or the Sigma SDK, which is out of WD’s control btw).

My 2 year old Panasonic plasma has no issues with HDCP on any HDMI input (I use HDMI2).  Similarly, it has no issues with resolution detection, which is another hot topic right now.  Looking at the EDID for my TV, it correctly flags the highest resolution as “native”.

Other manufacturers (and I’m talking big names like Sony and LG) incorrectly flag 720p as “native” on their 1080p sets (for reasons unknown, although I’d suggest “in error”), which causes users to blame WD for “not correctly detecting the resolution”.  

Again, some TV manufacturers they seem to be doing odd things with regards to HDCP (your recent Toshiba set and the Live only working on HDMI1 being a good example).

The best thing you can do is report your TV brand and model number.  If possible, try to get the EDID info for your TV using a program such as this:

http://entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

Perhaps the WD devs can work around some of these issues if enough information is provided.

Saturday Update:  Well, it turns out all 3 of the Toshiba 's HDMI inputs are HDCP enabled. Shortly after switching the inputs to obtain Netflix video, the Dish TV HDMI quit working. Turns out the HDMI cable was the culprit all along. Same cable different inputs… AH HA!!! So not all HDMI cables are created equal. Some just flat fail to maintain connectivity. It’s probably either a go, no-go situation, beings that we’re talking about a shielded digital signal. I’ve had 2 cables bite it now. Maybe some additional cable quality (and price?) would have saved me some grief.