Netflix "Unable to connect" with errors 100, 102... What's actually going on

I have been on the phone between Netlix and WD support for over a week now and we finally determined what the problem was…

PROFILES!!!

If you have a secondary profile on your Netflix account, it may cause corruption when you login and tell you that it can’t connect.  This affected ALL my dedicated devices (WDTV Live Hub, PS3, iPhone 4, and Windows Media Center).

Initially they removed the secondary profile from my account because when I logged into the WDTV, it showed my queue as empty after resetting it…  Then I wasn’t able to connect at ALL on any of my devices.  Tonight the supervisor I spoke with at Netflix said that this is being reported by some people, but they were unsure of the exact problem.  When I explained about the profiles being removed and then everything going south from there, a light went off in his head and he put me on hold…  They restored the secondary profile to my account, and VOILA, I can get back on all the devices, but it still shows the secondary profile user’s info and no queue.  BUT NO MORE ERRORS CONNECTING!

They said that they have had very VERY few calls about this, so before you completely tear your hair out like I almost did, go on the website and see if you have a secondary profile in Netflix.  If you do, you will need to contact their support team and let them know that you are unable to login to your WDTV with the error codes 100,200,102 and you DO have a secondary profile on your account.  Their engineering dept will have to purge your account information and manually re-enter it in order to get it functioning again.

I know this was long winded, but I had to explain the whole story so others out there having Netflix problems will know what to look for before they give up and cancel their service or wind up calling WD incessantly and still not be able to connect.

1 Like

Great post!

Thanks for posting this detailed info.   I’m sure people searching will appreciate it.

Another quick note… I learned how to deactivate/reset the Netflix app directly from the interface without having to login to the website, which can take up to 8 hours to purge from your active devices.

On the remote, while you are on the Netflix main screen (error or not), hit the following buttons on the remote:

UP, UP, DOWN, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, UP, UP, UP, UP, OK

(Yep, it’s pretty much the Konami Code)

That will bring you to a window where you see the details about the Netflix application and the ability to deactivate it so you can log in again after your account has been reset.

Just spoke with Netflix support again…

The profiles causing problems logging into WDTV devices has been acknowledged by them and they are working to get it resolved.  Possibly by the end of today they said.  Engineers have received many more calls about the issue recently and suggest holding off cancelling/recreating Netflix accounts while they are working on the problems.