NetFlix support in Denmark

Access to Netflix from DK is most wanted!

Second that.

We all use WDTV Live Hub and are looking forward to watching Netflix on our TV’s … Watching NetFlix on your mobile phone and laptop is just not the same.

Do anybody know a way to rollback the firmware to before WD made the strange decision to remove NetFlix?

I have the same problem in Sweden where Netflix also have been launched. I had netflix on my hub when I bought it some months ago, eventhough I couldn’t login because there was no service in Sweden at that time. But it disappeared when doing a firmware update I think.

Also tried resetting location. No luck!

Denmark: Netflix works fine on my WD TV Live Streamer BUT no Netflix icon on WD TV Live Hub???

Rolling back the firmware did not work for me

From Bill_S Community manager (found : Netflix Issues in Denmark / Norway / Finland (Scandinavia)

43 minutes ago

For those of you having issues with getting Netflix in the Scandinavia countries (including Finland), here are some things you need to know.

1. The WD TV Live Hub will only ever get Netflix in the U.S.
  2. Geo-Location, which allows Netflix to be served through the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player, and in Scandinavia, went global in the latest SMP firmware update, version 1.11.14.
  3. If you rolled back from this latest version you will not be able to access Netflix in that any older version of firmware.

If you have the latest version of firmware, and you are using the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (SMP), and you still can’t get Netflix, you can try resetting the Geo-Location for the SMP.  You can do so by going to Setup >> System >> Set Time & Country >> Reset Location.

If you try that and Netflix either doesn’t show up or doesn’t work, then we need to know.  You can post here.

If Netflix shows up, but doesn’t work, then if would really help us if you post Netflix’s ESN number in this thread.  You can find it by going to Setup

So let me get this straight. WDTV Live Hub supports Netflix, but only in the US???

When I bought the WDTV Live Hub it had a Netflix icon, which then disappeared after a firmware update. Shouldn’t it be simple to allow Netflix in other locations??

WD says it supports Netflix and Netflix says the same, but it’s simply not true in the case of a WDTV Live Hub outside of the US???

FIX IT!! (please)

I sincerly hope that WD will enlighten us if they have any plans about making it possible for the WD TV Live Hub to get access / support Netflix in Scandinavia or not? And please explain to us, what is the problem? Netflix tells us there is some kind of plan for supporting devices and that WD TV Live Hub is part of this plan. So according to Netflix the WD TV Live Hub will be able to support Netflix in Scandinavia - and this will be very soon…So who is telling the truth here? WD or Netflix? And who does know anything about what is really happening here? I read in an answer from WD customer service that the staff at WD don´t even know anything about when FW updates will be released before a day or two  prior to release. So there might be something going on, and we might be able to get Netflix support in Scandinavia? But no one can tell for sure…???

In Finland the newest firmware is allowing Netflix to show up, but trying to login leads to the error message: “Can not connect to Netflix. Try again or go to www.netflix.com/help” (translated from Finnish). The first problem is that getting this message leads to the Netflix app freezing and not allowing you to reenter your password without resetting the device from the system menu. Exiting Netflix and reentering leads to the same screen.

I contacted Netflix regarding this and they stated that they are currently supporting the WDTV from Finland but that there seems to be issues with the georegion in WDTV. Additionally I have reset my location and confirmed that it is set to Finland. Please fix this, as the device loses much of its appeal, especially as you advertise on the Finnish site that it can be used to access Netflix.

I really really really hope they come up with something, need iiiiit ! :slight_smile:

Same problem here in Sweden, no Netflixwhat so ever…:cry:

Hello,

The WDTV Live HUB does not support NETFLIX in your country, only in the USA. Is not a firmware error is a hardware limitation. 

The WDTV Live Streaming is fully compatible with Netflix in your location. 

If it is a hardware issue can you please explain more. My WDTV live hub was bought in the US, so I find it hard to believe that it is missing the capability to stream from Netflix. Additionally, as Netflix claim that they support Netflix streaming in Finland to the WDTV I am quite confused.

It is quite straight forward. The hub will never support Netflix in Denmark / Sweden even if you have a Hub that was purchased in the USA. It uses a different technical method to stream Netflix in Europe than it does in the USA. This cannot be changed by firmware. We have had Netflix in the UK for some time now and the hub cannot be used here either.

This is straight

The only WDTV products in Denmark are the Live and the Live Hub. I will most certainly not be buying any more WD products, seing how dissapointing the support is for a feature that is promised!! It’s still on the WD website!!

Even if I could buy a WDTV Live Streamer, why should I have to buy two WDTV’s when I only need one…?

No it’s not bs. The North American version of the Live Hub has a hardware DRM decoder made specifically for Netflix, Blockbuster etc. in the US. The European versions do not have the DRM chip installed, and Netflix do not support hardware devices without. So it’s a no-go…

Look.  People buy things for what they think it OUGHT or MIGHT do, not what it or the documentation SAYS it does.  Such people cannot be convinced.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Look.  People buy things for what they think it OUGHT or MIGHT do, not what it or the documentation SAYS it does.  Such people cannot be convinced.

I fully understand why people from Denmark is upset.

How are they supposed to know when danish retailers and internet shops are selling the WDTV Live Hub promising that it supports Netflix?

That being said, Netflix in Denmark has a very limited selection compared to the US version and series are often more than 1 season behind - After the free month has expired I suspect that Netflix won’t have many danish customers.

I was so much looking forward to the danish version of Netflix, but what a huge disappointment it turned out to be, hopefully HBO Nordic will have better support when it launches in Denmark soon.

For those who really wants Netflix, Apple TV supports Netflix and so does old gaming consoles like Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and Nintendo wii :wink:

Well, I would think their ire should be directed at the resellers that are advertising falsely, not WD, whose docs clearly state it only works in the US and Canada…