Netflix search function

Using the Netflix service on the WDTVLiveHub you must manually search for a movie to watch and not all the movies that can be shown from I-net hookup are avail able on the WDTVLiveHub because there is no search function.
Netflix can play back more searched for movies that Netflix has on my computer, but are not available on the WDTVLiveHub.
Is there some way I can switch to the incoming movie on my computer so I can see it on my TV thru the WDTVLiveHub or it require a future update in firmware? 

You do the search from your account on your PC, and add the content to your Instant Queue.  Within seconds, it will appear on the list inside the Hub.

Thanx so much for this solution.

Epic epic epic epic epic failure on WD’s part. Why in the heck would I ever want to use my computer to search for a movie that the Live Hub is perfectly capable of searching for if they would just give us the fricking feature. The absolute main reason I bought this thing was to stream netflix. So you’re telling me that I must also own a computer to even use this product. What a joke! I’m really really sorry I bought this thing. Now Best Buy won’t even let me return it to get my money back and I’ve only had the thing less than two months. It’s a paper weight as far as I’m concerned.

Yell at NetFlix over that one.  At the minute, the NetFlix API doesn’t allow for searching.

Supposedly a new API is in the works, which includes searching, but until NetFlix releases it, WD can’t add it.

spookster86 wrote:

Epic epic epic epic epic failure on WD’s part. Why in the heck would I ever want to use my computer to search for a movie that the Live Hub is perfectly capable of searching for if they would just give us the fricking feature. The absolute main reason I bought this thing was to stream netflix. So you’re telling me that I must also own a computer to even use this product. What a joke! I’m really really sorry I bought this thing. Now Best Buy won’t even let me return it to get my money back and I’ve only had the thing less than two months. It’s a paper weight as far as I’m concerned.

If it’s worthless to you, send it my way.   I’ll gladly relieve you of your burden.  

As far as I know there are only two or three appliance-type boxes that support the SEARCH function:  The PS3, the Boxee among them; but they’re all based on HTML5 API that was just released by NetFlix. 

As RG aludes to, NETFLIX actually writes the software for streamers, not the streamer manufacturers.   The only exception to this I’m aware of is TiVo, because tivo does not allow ANY 3rd-party software to run on their boxes, they only allow an HME-interface…

That is why NetFlix is heading toward an HTML5-based UI; that way the appliances only have to support a thin browser and a secure media renderer package, and NetFlix can get out of the software business.  

I have FIVE devices in my house that have netflix capability, and the interface on all of them are IDENTICAL in EVERY respect, and all lack the search function.

The point is, if you’re now back in the market for another box, be careful, because there aren’t many that have the new NetFlix interface…

Footnote…   I just re-read every one of your old posts.   The term “Epic Failure” is so last-decade…  Yet you used it in every single instance.  :smileyvery-happy:

If the PS3 does it then why can’t the WD live hub? Netflix is basically useless without this feature. They shouldn’t have claimed it can do the netflix thing if it really doesn’t. That was the main reason I bought the fricken thing. It doesn’t work. Netflix is broken on it. Period, end of story… I don’t want to hear excuses about it being Netflix’s fault. I bought a WD product. They claimed that you can use Netflix on it. You can’t. It doesn’t work. The only way to make it work, is to use a computer. What if someone that doesn’t own a computer bought one of these.

Aside from that, the crashes like crazy!!! Every single fricking day it freezes up and I have to pull the power plug. It’s a piece of ■■■■.

And another thing, why in the **bleep** is is downsampling my 96khz audio to 48khz. I’m using the HDMI port to my reciever. The reason I know it’s doing this is that my reciever tells me on the display that it’s recieving a 48khz signal when I’m playing 96khz files. What’s crazy is that it will play 24bit/96khz DTS files, so why not 24bit/96khz flac or wave files. Epic failure on the hi rez audiophile audio front.

They were sooooooo close with this thing. They just really really really really dropped the ball on a couple of features.

spookster86 wrote:

If the PS3 does it then why can’t the WD live hub? Netflix is basically useless without this feature. They shouldn’t have claimed it can do the netflix thing if it really doesn’t. That was the main reason I bought the fricken thing. It doesn’t work. Netflix is broken on it. Period, end of story… I don’t want to hear excuses about it being Netflix’s fault. I bought a WD product. They claimed that you can use Netflix on it. You can’t. It doesn’t work. The only way to make it work, is to use a computer. What if someone that doesn’t own a computer bought one of these.

Aside from that, the crashes like crazy!!! Every single fricking day it freezes up and I have to pull the power plug. It’s a piece of ■■■■.

And another thing, why in the **bleep** is is downsampling my 96khz audio to 48khz. I’m using the HDMI port to my reciever. The reason I know it’s doing this is that my reciever tells me on the display that it’s recieving a 48khz signal when I’m playing 96khz files. What’s crazy is that it will play 24bit/96khz DTS files, so why not 24bit/96khz flac or wave files. Epic failure on the hi rez audiophile audio front.

They were sooooooo close with this thing. They just really really really really dropped the ball on a couple of features.

I really think that its time that you called it a day with the hub and got on with your life. Its obviously not what you want and I don’t think it will ever get better for you.

Did you read Tony’s explanation about why the ps3 can do it and the hub can’t.

spookster86 wrote:

The Netflix sign-up and device activation process requires a computer, so I think most Netflix users have access to a PC or Mac.

At the time of release, the Live Plus and Hub used the latest Netflix API. They perform as advertised. We may or may not get the new API in the near future. Like Rich says, your needs may be better satisfied by another player. Adding content to your queue is easy from a laptop, netbook, iPad or home computer, but if that is not possible for you, the Hub will be making you unhappy for the foreseeable future.

i just got Netflix up and running on my sister’s Hub today and was wondering WTF the SEARCH was…lol. My Samsung tv has the Netflix app and it has the search feature so I was purplexed as to why it wasn’t on the Hub…but thanks for the solution about adding from the computer!