Netflix issue

I’m having an issue with Netflix (Canada) that started a month or so ago.  The video looks like it’s dropping frames every few seconds.  It’s more noticeable when the camera is panning but it does it throughout the movie.  Most recently I’ve noticed it on Bernie, The Usual Suspects and Piranha DD (don’t judge me).  However, TV episodes of Futurama and Family Guy were fine.

It’s not an internet connection issue as Netflix on my PS3 is fine as is my WDTV Live Streaming box.

I’ve moved the hub to another location, used the CAT6 from the PS3 and ran HDMI directly into a TV and it still exibited the problem.  Based on that it seems to me to be a hub specific issue.

I’ve also noticed that my Live Streaming box lists Netflix movies as SuperHD whereas the hub is only HD.  My connection isn’t fast enough to take advantage of SuperHD but I thought it was odd that they were different.

Has anybody encountered the dropped frames issue before?

Thank you.

This is a common issue with Netflix on the Hub and something I’ve complained about since day 1 of getting mine. It is most noticeable on panning shots or when, for instance, a car is moving through a wide shot. It just isn’t smooth and is very noticeable. No one has ever been able to tell me what causes it or if it is or isn’t an issue with the Hub or with Netflix. As it happens whether I am on a wired or wireless connection it appears not to be a bandwidth issue. Perhaps a buffering issue on the Hub, maybe?

As for the SuperHD issue, that format did not exist when the Hub was first released, therefore it can not support it. Maybe a future firmware release can add it, but I doubt it.

I did some more testing last night.  It also does it on component and any resolution from 480 up to 1080p.  I’m quite certain this just started (for me anyways) within the past month or so and it didn’t start right after a firmware upgrade or anything.  I’m thinking it must be a Netflix issue so my next step is to find a way to contact Netflix support.

As for the SuperHD issue, that format did not exist when the Hub was first released, therefore it can not support it. Maybe a future firmware release can add it, but I doubt it.

The WDTV Live Streaming box came out well before SuperHD as well and it does support SuperHD so I don’t belive that the Hub can’t support it as well.

rburnard wrote:

I did some more testing last night.  It also does it on component and any resolution from 480 up to 1080p.  I’m quite certain this just started (for me anyways) within the past month or so and it didn’t start right after a firmware upgrade or anything.  I’m thinking it must be a Netflix issue so my next step is to find a way to contact Netflix support.

The WDTV Live Streaming box came out well before SuperHD as well and it does support SuperHD so I don’t belive that the Hub can’t support it as well.

The hub certainly does not support Netfix around the world unlike the Live Streaming.

rburnard wrote:> * * *

Different hardware, different firmware update capabilities.

Different hardware, different firmware update capabilities.

I suppose that could be the case.

Anyways, SuperHD capabilities aside, I’ve still got my stuttering issue.  I spent an hour with Netflix online chat last night and they were baffled.  They don’t see anything wrong on their end.  They kept trying to tell me it was my internet connection even though my other devices work fine.  They tried reducing the video quality to the lowest setting and it still did it.  They are blaming the Hub and told me to contact WD.  WD will just tell me its a Netflix issue so now I’m stuck.

Maybe I need to replace the Hub with a Streamer and attached HDD.  Do I loose any functionality going that route?

Nope, just convenience. I’m willing to bet it is an issue with the Hub. It has always done it one mine no matter how it was connected. Sometimes it’s barely noticeable, sometimes it is highly annoying. I still get discs from Netflix, so I just use the streaming for stuff I don’t care too much about.

1 Like

I guess I’ll have to look around for sales now.

Thanks for your help Miami_Son.

rburnard wrote:

I guess I’ll have to look around for sales now.

Thanks for your help Miami_Son.

Appreciated, but clicking the star is even better.:wink: