Netflix Instant Queue Unavailable

Got this issue after an entire day of successful watching streaming videos and then one video freezing up after download to spend two days trying to resolve this. Reset network settings with no luck. Resolution was to deauthorize the player, do a factory settings reset, and reauthorize with netflix. If this is a repeating theme I certainly will be very unhappy.

I held out on buying this instead of the Roku (didn’t want only netflix and Roku’s other support is infantile still) and Popcorn Hour.

Am I to regret this purchase because it’s sub par? I truly hope not.

If you had to “reauthorize” the unit, then the issue is with NetFlix, not the WDTV

The issue was not with netflix because the reason I had to reauthorize was the factory reset.

No, the reason you had to Reauth is because you you De-authed.   At least, that’s what your first post said you did.

So despite being the one that was actually here while I was troubleshooting, I am still wrong? Rather presumptuous I think. I tried partially correcting myself in my reply but apparently your smarter than me.

So let me correct properly.

I had to do a factory reset, which then left the player to require authorization and display a netflix code. So I then had to deauthorize it on the netflix site prior to reauthorizing it. This is fairly obviously because it stores some kind of token on it to authenticate to netflix with. This ensures netflix can identify it and show the proper queue. However a factory reset, in order to be a true factory reset should remove this token from memory.  

I am however left to assume at this point that somehow said token was corrupted or that the device itself has a bug since it took a factory reset to correct the issue. All despite my PS3 and other netflix capable devices still being able to access netflix without issue.

Also of note, I am not the only one to have apparently suffered similar issues…as evidenced by at least one similar thread I saw. I am confident that others will also suffer similar issues.

But obviously your correct, it was definitely a problem with netflix and I must be crazy for doubting this.

(*munch munch*)  <— That’s me eating my words.   Mea Culpa.  

I’m not *trying* to be presumptuous.   All I can go on is what you said, not what you “meant” to say.  ;)

At any rate, I didn’t have that exact issue, but I was able to confirm that if you must do a RESTORE FACTORY DEFAULTS, you will indeed lose your Netflix access, and you must de-auth/re-auth to get it back.   I would count THAT as an annoyance, if not a minor bug…

So, it’s unclear from the order of events which one restored your service.   If you’d done a De-auth/Re-Auth, WITHOUT the RESTORE, I wonder if that’d have fixed it.   If it had, then it remains unclear if the issue was with NetFlix or WDTV.    If you did BOTH and only the RESTORE fixed it, then it’s most likely only a WDTV issue.

At any rate, sorry for jumping in the wrong direction… 

Well at least your able to “Man Up” to a Mea Culpa. Must say you get some respect for that alone.

As for your assesment otherwise, I’m not going to say that a deauth reauth wouldn’t have work because your correct that I hadn’t tried that first. However I do have to put the WDTV in the much higher suspect category for fault.

All that being said, I must say that even reading my response I may have put a bit more sarcasm in that intended so please take the majority as such and not as hostility.

Will be interesting to see if this ends up helping anyone else in the long run.

Thanks for at least putting forth the effort. It’s more than most would or could do to start with.

Happened again last night. This time I did deauthorize and try to reauthorize prior to the factory reset and got the same response. It wasn’t able to reauthorize and gave me the same message. Seeing that particular behavior makes me really think that the token stored on the device for netflix to authenticate it with is getting corrupted in some way.

A factory reset works, so now I guess I will have to decide if I should return it in the next few days, or put up with the annoyance.

Time will tell, but so far I’m a little let down that something so promising has had such deflated performance.

What sort of things are you playing?  Is there something in particular that causes you problems I could try?

I’ve been using my Plus unit for Netflix exclusively and haven’t had any issues, but I haven’t been playing much (any?) HD material (mostly **bleep** Van **bleep** shows and a couple of non-HD movies).  I give it a pretty good workaround – at least a hour or two each day, and haven’t had any freezes.

For completeness I’m connecting wireless to my network, I have broadband internet (cable modem) and using (mostly) composite cables to view (sometimes I switch it to the bedroom TV with HDMI). 

Uhm, *bleep* van *bleep*?    What ARE YOU WATCHING, Mike??  :)

We’re working on a fix for this to be included in the upcoming firmware update.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

That’s funny – stupid @$%#$ forum filters won’t let you put the perfectly good name of a great comic actor here (hint: he co-starred with Julie Andrews in “Mary Poppins”.  And his TV show was a classic – up there with “I Love Lucy” as the greatest sit-com of all time.

This is a case where Bill has been *way* too agressive in what is allowed to be posted here (because, as you know, you can **bleep** your finger, but you can’t…)

bleep* van *bleep the greatest cockney outside the UK. (if the censuring is really harsh it may read the ‘the greatest bleepney outside the UK’)

mkelley wrote:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

That’s funny – stupid @$%#$ forum filters won’t let you put the perfectly good name of a great comic actor here (hint: he co-starred with Julie Andrews in “Mary Poppins”.  And his TV show was a classic – up there with “I Love Lucy” as the greatest sit-com of all time.

This is a case where Bill has been *way* too agressive in what is allowed to be posted here (because, as you know, you can **bleep** your finger, but you can’t…)

• *So “Richard” Van “Dykestra” makes the filter pull it…that’s funny. 

Guy_K wrote:

We’re working on a fix for this to be included in the upcoming firmware update.

And glad to hear that WD has seen the problem and is working a fix.

Aside from this issue, I am very impressed and happy with this unit so it was very upsetting to think I was going to have to send it back. However it was the Netflix that sealed the deal and it is Netflix that will make or break it for my usage. Hulu will come second, but I’ll work that issue, and would not make that into a make or break scenario.

All being said, this is a pretty awesome unit

Well my Live Plus wont even connect anymore to Netflix, I sent in an email explaining the problem and have posted myself on the issue, even after factory resets using the outside button or the internal option, Netflix wont even give me a code anymore to authorize it, I just get a “Netflix cannot connect” over and over again, I’m wondering if this has something to do with the internal time which of course cant be changed.  This issue was on the PS3 and was fixed with a time change, so I hope this gets looked at too, not sure what the problem would be as everything BUT Netflix works on my box, it was fine for a week or so and then nothing

have you also deauthorized the player in your settings with netflix? I can’t say for sure but things have been different the couple times I have “fixed” these issues. And have you verified connectivity and that you don’t have a firewall issue? Just some thoughts. Does YouTube work?

Well for me, yes everything else works, player is deauthorized on Netflix’s site and the player wont give me a code anymore, as soon as your run the Netflix app on the Live Plus, it errors out and says it cant connect to Netflix…found another person who replied to my thread that has just got the same problem as well, lots of issues with Netflix on this box so far…shame, glad I have other ways of streaming to my TV as I bought it more for a local and network share media player than anything else

Well I can confirm that I have the same issue now as your other post:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/WDTV-Live-Plus-Netflix-connect-problems/td-p/31594

I was working fine, then got an episode freeze up and then get a “Can’t connect” which is different from my previous “Queue unavalable” error.

Two factory resets later and still no go. My PS3 works fine with Netflix still even when I swap IP Addresses with the WDTV Live + so it’s not a network or Netflix issue unless Netflix is identifying and denying the WD’s from using Netflix.

Fully frustrating to say the least since I picked this up primarily for the Netflix functionality. Still a phenomenal device though and I can’t say I’m not impressed with the other features of it. 

The problem is is that there is no other info anywhere about this problem except on these forums, Netflix is zero help and has nothing about any issues with this device, of course it just points you here for support, its hard to spend $120 for one of these things to have the new main feature go bad within a week of having it

I feel your pain as I have already indicated the feelings earlier in this thread. However, also earlier in this thread a WD rep did seem to indicate they were working some issues with the Netflix feature so at least it appears they are onto something.

Netflix was the deciding factor for me buying this, and so it goes without saying that I will not be happy if it doesn’t work properly.